New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad Car Mount

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I think sometime last week...the subject of using your iPad as a GPS device (iPad 3G) was brought up...and one of the issues was how to hold or mount it.

Here's an iPad car mounting device:

Apple iPad Compatible Car Stand Holder

...I'm not sure how well it would work (suction cups). I certainly don't think I would want it mounted on the windshield...considering the size of the iPad.

But with one device out there ...there certainly will be more products to follow (some better, some not).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
My_MAC_MBP

My_MAC_MBP is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard

Hello,

If one is interested in a good iPad Car Mount, consider RAM-Mount. RAM-Mount makes different types of mounts for various electronic devices for many vehicle types. Their mounts are used by many in the Public Safety field.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I was the one who brought up using the iPad for GPS, but was only marginally serious about the mount, figuring I would lay it on the passengers seat when alone, and let my wife attend to it when not.
Having said all that, this looks worth trying.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

You could always just use velcro.

YouTube - The iPad and Velcro, a Match Made in Heaven [HD]
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Velcro FTW.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I have to say honestly this sounds like a bad idea, at least to me. The temptation to spend too much time looking at it would be too great.
QUOTE Thanks
Vroomer

Vroomer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I have to say honestly this sounds like a bad idea, at least to me. The temptation to spend too much time looking at it would be too great.
Yup.

When a buddy of mine got a hybrid, the dealer told him not to have the nav/computer display running the fuel efficiency graph program because he would watch that instead of driving. He told him to turn the display off.

I did use the maps this weekend on a road trip to SC from DC, in and around SC, and back to DC. As a co-pilot with the maps and GPS, it was great. As a driver getting to a key intersection, it is a distraction. Nevertheless, when you have the map on and get current location enabled and your little blue ball is on the roads, the iPad did stay on and did not go into sleep mode as per my "sleep fast" settings. It was pretty nifty and a very useful function.

The 3G coverage up and down I-95 is pretty good, too.

Now if only the iPad had an Austrailian voice like my folks' GPS does.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomer View Post
Yup.

Now if only the iPad had an Austrailian voice like my folks' GPS does.

Yep, us Americans are a sucker for that accent aren't we.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I definetely agree with the potential for distraction, but that is what makes the audible turn-by-turn instructions so valuable. I don't see it ultimately as being a bigger problem than someone trying to navigate using a city map or craneing their neck in all directions trying to see if they just passed their turn.

Regardless, that is why I prefer the alternative of letting my wife hold the iPad and acting as navigator leaving me totally free to watch the road.

The velcro idea might work though. With velcro tape I could support it off the back of the sunscreen (just kidding).
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I think that we are well beyond the point of having too many distractions while driving:

- cell phones
- texting while driving
- car in dash displays of all sorts
- GPS devices
- putting on makeup
- reading while driving
- eating while driving
- shaving while driving
- picking your nose

...do I need to go on! The driver needs to be responsible...pull over when necessary to use all of the toys...or hopefully have a passenger that can do it for you.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I think that we are well beyond the point of having too many distractions while driving:

- cell phones
- texting while driving
- car in dash displays of all sorts
- GPS devices
- putting on makeup
- reading while driving
- eating while driving
- shaving while driving
- picking your nose

...do I need to go on! The driver needs to be responsible...pull over when necessary to use all of the toys...or hopefully have a passenger that can do it for you.

- Nick
You forget that the passenger is also a distraction. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Hey, nose picking while driving is awesome!

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
You forget that the passenger is also a distraction. >_>"
Especially if they are picking their nose!
QUOTE Thanks
Vroomer

Vroomer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Hey, nose picking while driving is awesome!
Driving + Nose Picking = Dual Processing.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Just as long as you don't get into quad processing mode and pick your passenger's nose too!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The arrow keys | I just got a new computer »