Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iPad Hardware and Accessories (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/)
-   -   The arrow keys (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/207876-arrow-keys.html)

akstylish 07-11-2010 07:02 AM

The arrow keys

Are they not on iPad/iPhone keyboard? It's especially annoying when I'm typing in the middle of a long thread and have to edit something at the beginning or the end but can't because they are not in the visible part of the typing field.

bobtomay 07-11-2010 10:00 AM

Nope, not there and my number one gripe also. It's especially a pain when typing inside forum message boxes.

You can scroll up and down inside these boxes by holding your finger on the screen, wait for the magnifier to pop up and then moving to the top or bottom edge of the box and it will s... l... o... w... l... y... scroll for you.

schweb 07-11-2010 12:41 PM

Since the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch are all touch based devices, it eliminates the need for arrow keys.

bobtomay 07-11-2010 02:09 PM

You must not have tried editing a post that's 2-3 times longer than the height of the forum reply box, which is also, not re-sizable on the iPad. Think that's about the only place I've noticed the issue. In any of the standard text documents, the arrows really are unnecessary.

mexipat 07-11-2010 02:14 PM

It does not eliminate the need for arrow keys. I understand the fight with Flash but why is Apple mad at the poor little arrow key. It's my only real complaint with this great device.

schweb 07-11-2010 02:37 PM

How are arrow keys any more efficient than pointing and tapping on a touch-based OS?

Vroomer 07-11-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtomay (Post 1081068)
You must not have tried editing a post that's 2-3 times longer than the height of the forum reply box, which is also, not re-sizable on the iPad. Think that's about the only place I've noticed the issue. In any of the standard text documents, the arrows really are unnecessary.

Agreed.

It's especially anoying when there isn't an option when I do TOUCH the side of the box to scroll up. In Pages, you can scroll up. That's it. I am not backspacing/deleting a long post to correct an error. It's just not replying to this forum. I've noticed it on Facebook when replying to someone's status or something like that. No scroll up bar when I do TOUCH the side of the box.

akstylish 07-11-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schweb (Post 1081079)
How are arrow keys any more efficient than pointing and tapping on a touch-based OS?

No one said arrows are more efficient(in general). They are still necessary for situations like the one in the first post and would also help select a few words from a lengthy text more quickly(especially on iPhone/iPod), even if you rarely come across such occasions.

chas_m 07-12-2010 08:15 AM

Solution: use a real keyboard for these situations. It has arrow keys.

sandysboobi2 07-14-2010 01:52 AM

Arrow keys - substitute

I too was frustrated with the lack of arrow keys, until my wife informed me of a adequate substitute solution. Place your finger over the text to be edited and wait for magnifying lens to appear. Next move your finger to the desired position (left or right) until the cursor is in the desired position. Then insert by pressing the desired letter key or keys or delete by pressing the left arrow facing x key next to the P key as appropriate. This will also allow you to cut/paste/copy as desired. Try it. It takes a little practice, but it works well in place of the arrow keys.

mexipat 07-17-2010 02:36 PM

That's what I am doing. An arrow key would be better.

MinaMACMan 07-19-2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtomay (Post 1081068)

Next time try this:

Inside a text field that you can't see the beginning of like the case you states, use a 2 finger scroll and you will scroll just within that test field and not the whole web page. No need to press and hold till you get the magnifier. It's fast and efficient multiple touch scrolling like the MacBooks.

Hope that helps.

bobtomay 07-19-2010 07:55 AM

Much better - you know us old guys, we get stuck doing things one way and sometimes can't see what's right in front of us.

schweb 07-19-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaMACMan (Post 1085106)
Next time try this:

Inside a text field that you can't see the beginning of like the case you states, use a 2 finger scroll and you will scroll just within that test field and not the whole web page. No need to press and hold till you get the magnifier. It's fast and efficient multiple touch scrolling like the MacBooks.

Hope that helps.

That is awesome, I never knew that. :)

MinaMACMan 07-19-2010 10:04 AM

Glad I was able to help. :D