New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Can iPad use new iPhone 4 Micro Sim?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Marshy9328

Marshy9328 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac - 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB DDR2

I was very close to buying an iPad over the next few weeks, but now everything has sort of been throw out of the window now the new phone is coming out.

My contract ended last month so planned on getting it anyway, but now I have found out the new iPhone 4 uses a Microsim, the question which leaves me to think about is.

Will the iPhone 4 Microsim work in a 3G iPad?

If so then this is great new, but im going to have to wait another few months maybe to get an iPad because of funds, by this time I will be considering if its worth getting one or waiting for a newer version to come out

Any help would be great guys
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Marshy9328

Im sorry, I should of read the rules more clearly, thought it would be appropriate as im talking about two pieces of hardware, thanks for re-directing me though.

Anyways, has this been confirmed to work or just speculation until release?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy9328 View Post
Im sorry, I should of read the rules more clearly, thought it would be appropriate as im talking about two pieces of hardware, thanks for re-directing me though.

Anyways, has this been confirmed to work or just speculation until release?

gonna be fairly hard to confirm seeing as how NO ONE has the new phone .....

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
Marshy9328

Fair point

Just wondered if Apple had said anything about it because I could not find any information when I looked
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
gonna be fairly hard to confirm seeing as how NO ONE has the new phone .....

Clay
Just email Gizmodo. They had a good hands on use of one
QUOTE Thanks
EvoRoadster

EvoRoadster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.7 GHz Mac Pro, 30" HD cinema display, 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM

Yes, with an adaptor tray. The SIM connector size is the same, the body size is smaller.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I'm guessing that Apple, or more specifically, AT&T, have already thought of this and figured out a way to keep iPhone 4 owners from sneaking 3G connection to their iPads. Having said that, I would also assume there will probably be some enterprising developers out there that will make it possible via jailbreak.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I'm guessing that Apple, or more specifically, AT&T, have already thought of this and figured out a way to keep iPhone 4 owners from sneaking 3G connection to their iPads. Having said that, I would also assume there will probably be some enterprising developers out there that will make it possible via jailbreak.
From what I have been reading the hackers are going to have a field day with the iPhone 4. I read they were already working on a hack to make face time work on 3G and not just wifi.
QUOTE Thanks
DRMac

DRMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD

With AT&Ts new dataplans, would it be even worth while to use video calling on the new iphone. With Unlimited data it would be nice but with the 2GB cap AT&T will probably force new iphone users to get its not really worth it.

EDIT: Data is data and if the new iphone uses micro SIMs then it should not be hard to just use the ipad data plan on a iphone4
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
From what I have been reading the hackers are going to have a field day with the iPhone 4. I read they were already working on a hack to make face time work on 3G and not just wifi.
That hack already exists. There is a jailbreak app that makes your phone think it's on Wi-Fi when it's really on 3G. This was used primarily for VOIP applications like Skype. I don't see why it also wouldn't work for video chatting.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
electricmarquis

electricmarquis is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.4 i7

Other than 3g may not be enough to form a solid chatter free video connection.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« annoyed with signing up with 3G service | Professional Music Software for iPad?? »