Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: as an e-reader

as an e-reader
    Hi all...... Have any of you been using your ipad extensively as an e-reader? I was considering buying a Kindle, but the ipad can do so much more (unfortunately it costs twice as much!) How do you like reading books on your ipad (either via Kindle app or ibook)??

thanks!!

jeff

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    About 3/4s my use is as an eReader. Specifically got mine instead of Kindle. Some people talk about potential eyestrain and glare but hasn't been a problem so far.
    IMHO the Kindle is no competition. In addition to the larger size, and color screen there is the multiple-use advantage.

A better comparison to the iPad is the Kindle DX IMO (same screen size) but then the price difference is not so great.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    I use it to read my class assignments and have read a few books using the Kindle app. Still waiting on e-book prices to decline before I purchase more books.

June 2007
    July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    About 3/4s my use is as an eReader. Specifically got mine instead of Kindle. Some people talk about potential eyestrain and glare but hasn't been a problem so far.
    IMHO the Kindle is no competition. In addition to the larger size, and color screen there is the multiple-use advantage.

A better comparison to the iPad is the Kindle DX IMO (same screen size) but then the price difference is not so great.
    thanks for the info.....pretty much what I was thinking. There seems to be a lot of talk on the web about how the Kindle is better (because it looks more like paper, and there's less eye-strain, etc) Personally, I'm leaning towards the ipad because it can be used to read in the dark (the Kindle has no backlight.) eyestrain would be my main concern when reading on the ipad.

jeff

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    A short list (incomplete) of what I've read on the iPhone and iPad

iPhone:
    Red Storm Rising
    Patriot Games
    Pandoras Legions
    Retief
    The War Gods Own
    Witches of Karres
    (many others)

iPad:
    SPQR I
    SPQR II
    SPQR III
    SPQR IV
    SPQR VII
    SPQR VIII
    SPQR X
    Methusalehs Children
    SPQR IX (currently reading)

So, as you can see, I don't see any problem with the iPad as an eReader. But, everybody's different. If you can swing a hour at the Apple Store try it yourself and see.

Specs:
    MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
    Since I got the iPad I've read a few books on it both in the Kindle and the iBook apps. I think the iBook app is quite a bit polished than the kindle, which I expected. But I already had a lot of hooks on my kindle, which I sold, so it was a no brained for me to download my 30 or so books on the iPad through the app.

Tou can always turn down the screen's brightness in order to reduce eye strain. Reading on the iPad is actually pretty neat.

Cheers

MMM

Specs:
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    I use Kindle Reader for iPad a lot.

Not really used iBooks, apart from the free iPad Manual

Not really going to be reading books until ebook prices drop below the cost of paperback.

Specs:
    13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
    I use it for reading technical reference documents.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I don't plan on being a huge reader of ebooks until the price drops, like dewthedru said, but there is a huge library of free or low-cost books available in the ePub format from various sources so I don't anticipate any shortage of quality reading material till the prices for new ebooks comes down ...

I don't yet own an iPad (getting one for my birthday) but I did spend some time reading a book on one recently, and I just don't see where this "eyestrain" thing started from (apart, I suspect, from Amazon). Resizable type beyond what the Kindle can do, plus colour, plus better brightness control, plus a very high refresh rate? This "eyestrain" dog won't hunt, as they say in the deep south. IMHO, YMMV.

Specs:
    iPad 32 GB 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by St13Pilot View Post
    Hi all...... Have any of you been using your ipad extensively as an e-reader? I was considering buying a Kindle, but the ipad can do so much more (unfortunately it costs twice as much!) How do you like reading books on your ipad (either via Kindle app or ibook)??

thanks!!

jeff
    I have both. I much prefer the kindle for reading books-- it's a lot lighter and has better controls for turning pages. I wouldn't say I suffer from eye strain on the iPad, but it's just way more comfortable to read on the e-ink screen than on a backlit lcd for me.

You can also use a bunch of free/low cost books on the kindle, just like on the iPad, so that's really a non-issue.

thanks for all the great responses. going to the apple store tonight......

Specs:
    iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
    Get the iPad 3G and the free Kindle app?

carjack the
    Well, all they had at the Apple store was the 64g model, while all I was looking for was the 16g.........so, I'll either order online or wait a bit. Doesn't help that I'm [I]probably ordering a new iphone on Tuesday...

My wife and I just sold our house and most of our possessions and bought a new truck & 5th wheel trailer and are going to be traveling around North America for the next 4 or 5 years. So where we actually live is where ever we are at any particular t
    Specs:
    I have 2 - 1 is an iMac 24 and the other is a Macbook Pro 17 inch
    Deleting of books, magazines, and especially newspapers from iPad
    I am seriously looking into getting an iPad for reading ebooks but was wondering if there is a way to delete books, magazines and especially newspapers after I am through reading them and do not want them on my library.
    Has anyone experienced this?

Thread Information