New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

First Hardware Refresh

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Djsban

Djsban is on a distinguished road

Hi

I realise that the ipad has only been released for a short time.....but...

So...I tried an ipad for the first time today and it's pretty cool...however reading the various forums and reviews around there are clearly some major shortfalls at the moment...so I cant decide whether to get one now or wait! Ahhhh....

My question was when would everyone guess at the first hardware refresh of the ipad?
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Just buy it, If you wait now you will always be waiting. If history has taught us anything about Apple don't expect too much of difference between the 1st generation iPad and the 2nd.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'm just sort of curious, if it has major shortfalls for you, why are even considering buying one? I wouldn't be purchasing something that wouldn't do the major things I wanted it for.

You can either listen to the naysayers that didn't get the device from Apple that they wanted - which basically was a netbook to blow away all the Winblows netbooks...

Or you can look to see what you need (or would just like to have) and find a device to fulfill that need for you.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Drjones

Drjones is on a distinguished road

My only major complaint with the iPad is actually the screen - i wish they would have put a more pixel-dense screen in it, like the new iPhone.

Other than that, the performance is blazing fast, which is what's most important to me, and Im pretty happy with it overall.

I do of course have other minor complaints with it, but they are all software based and can be fixed with software updates. I also accept that the device wasn't going to be flawless, as it is the very first release.

Anyway, if you like it and think you will get use and enjoyment out of it, buy it. Don't play the waiting game with technology. Tech is just like women - there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS something better, faster and sexier just around the corner.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You have complaints about the screen? I think the screen was the biggest selling factor for me! It's absolutely gorgeous! And what do you need more pixels for? Everything looks great on the iPad's screen

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
You have complaints about the screen? I think the screen was the biggest selling factor for me! It's absolutely gorgeous! And what do you need more pixels for? Everything looks great on the iPad's screen
It looks good for sure, but i just feel like text ofteseems a little too fuzzy. I don't see why they couldn't have put an even nicer screen in it.

Anyhow, that's really my only complaint and not a big one at that.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

I have to agree with Kash, this screen is awesome.

But in the same time I see your point. But you have to keep in mind that apple chose this screen to help cut costs. The new Retina Display is gonna probably make it to iPad 2.0 but by then the cost will be less.

I have to say though for my current use, this screen is right on the money.

MMM
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
I don't see why they couldn't have put an even nicer screen in it.
When you say "nicer" here, I'm assuming you mean a higher density screen.

With all products such as this, there are certain engineering and costs decisions that have to be made. Apple had very aggressive pricing goals with the iPad. Putting a screen with the same pixel density as the iPhone 4 would likely have pushed the cost of the device above the company's target, making it far too expensive for many people. A higher resolution screen would also require more horsepower, which the A4 chip may not have yet. (That's an assumption on my part and not necessarily a fact.) It could also be a drain on battery life, pushing the total number of hours well below the current 10. All this and more could have contributed to the screen that was used.

As it stands, I will side with those who say the screen is one of its strongest features. Most desktop and laptop computers don't boast a display as nice as this. That is definitely saying something.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Didn't Jobs say it is essentially the same screen as the iPhone 4? Yes… the pixel density isn't "quite" as high, but higher pixel density on a screen that size would mean a higher native resolution, which would require more processing power to render those graphics, which would mean apps would get larger in size, which would mean a bigger hit on the battery… etc etc. It's all a trade-off and you have to draw the line somewhere.

I'm also wondering if you think the text is fuzzy because you are looking at iPhone apps magnified to 2x.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post

I'm also wondering if you think the text is fuzzy because you are looking at iPhone apps magnified to 2x.
Yep, me too... Or you're maybe hitting the 40ish age range and it's time to start looking for glasses. I'm pretty picky about fuzzy text and it's one of the reasons I use Windows for my HTPC instead of OS X.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I'm just sort of curious, if it has major shortfalls for you, why are even considering buying one? I wouldn't be purchasing something that wouldn't do the major things I wanted it for.

You can either listen to the naysayers that didn't get the device from Apple that they wanted - which basically was a netbook to blow away all the Winblows netbooks...

Or you can look to see what you need (or would just like to have) and find a device to fulfill that need for you.
aha nice Bob
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Didn't Jobs say it is essentially the same screen as the iPhone 4? Yes… the pixel density isn't "quite" as high, but higher pixel density on a screen that size would mean a higher native resolution, which would require more processing power to render those graphics, which would mean apps would get larger in size, which would mean a bigger hit on the battery… etc etc. It's all a trade-off and you have to draw the line somewhere.

Same screen as the iphone 4 agreed. But there is a difference. A 100x100 pixel box will be much smaller on the iphone then on the ipad when pixel density comes into play. And small things are harder to see and use. If things get any smaller on the screen you'll need a stylus to use it. As the average finger will be too fat.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djsban View Post
My question was when would everyone guess at the first hardware refresh of the ipad?
My guess would be a MINOR refresh in the summer of 2011, followed by something more substantive in summer 2012, followed by a really major change in 2013.

This would follow the pattern of the iPhone -- the 3G was really just a 2G with an extra radio and a compass. The first real substantial speed bump was two years after the 2G, and the first real hardware overhaul will be Monday, about three years after initial introduction.
QUOTE Thanks
Drjones

Quote:

1) The screen uses the same IPS technology, but clearly the pixel density is much higher on the iPhone 4. So no, they definitely aren't exactly the same.

2) No, of course I'm not referring to how iPhone apps look when blown up 2x on the iPad.

3) Good call on the resolution/graphics/processor equalling probably less battery. But it isn't possible to keep a display at 1024x768 (the iPad's resolution) and just have more pixels? I know that I've seen some laptops - Sony is a great example - that have gorgeous, very pixel-dense displays and normal resolutions.

Let me also be clear that I'm not unhappy with the iPad's display and it does look very good - but when the iPhone 4 was announced with its high pixel density, I realized that I'm probably going to be a little less impressed with my iPad's display.
QUOTE Thanks
Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Fo View Post
When you say "nicer" here, I'm assuming you mean a higher density screen.

With all products such as this, there are certain engineering and costs decisions that have to be made. Apple had very aggressive pricing goals with the iPad. Putting a screen with the same pixel density as the iPhone 4 would likely have pushed the cost of the device above the company's target, making it far too expensive for many people. A higher resolution screen would also require more horsepower, which the A4 chip may not have yet. (That's an assumption on my part and not necessarily a fact.) It could also be a drain on battery life, pushing the total number of hours well below the current 10. All this and more could have contributed to the screen that was used.

As it stands, I will side with those who say the screen is one of its strongest features. Most desktop and laptop computers don't boast a display as nice as this. That is definitely saying something.

I completely understand what you're saying and I agree - but to an extent.

I know that phone manufacturers like Apple don't want to have a million different versions of the same device, but for years now I've been unable to comprehend why manufacturers don't create truly premium versions of their devices.

Especially for Apple, where its products are premium-priced already and I'm sure a significant portion of its devoted customer base is affluent, they could probably do quite well by offering a premium iPad with a very pixel dense display and even more RAM - not storage, but system RAM.

Blackberry is the worst at this, as most of their devices (at least back when I was using them two years ago) had only 64mb of RAM and this truly crippled the devices.

With how dirt cheap memory has become, it is unacceptable that RIM & other mobile phone companies don't put more in the phones - again, even if it means creating a "premium" device that gets offered alongside the "mainstream" device.

I realize adding more memory to the iPad is a slightly different feat as RAM is incorporated in the A4 processor, but still....I think they can and should do it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Free Ipad Video Converter? | Film and programme streaming!!!! »