Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iPad Hardware and Accessories (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/)
-   -   First Hardware Refresh (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/204037-first-hardware-refresh.html)

Djsban 06-03-2010 07:02 PM

First Hardware Refresh

Hi

I realise that the ipad has only been released for a short time.....but...

So...I tried an ipad for the first time today and it's pretty cool...however reading the various forums and reviews around there are clearly some major shortfalls at the moment...so I cant decide whether to get one now or wait! Ahhhh....

My question was when would everyone guess at the first hardware refresh of the ipad?

bargsbeer 06-03-2010 07:18 PM

Just buy it, If you wait now you will always be waiting. If history has taught us anything about Apple don't expect too much of difference between the 1st generation iPad and the 2nd.

bobtomay 06-03-2010 07:31 PM

I'm just sort of curious, if it has major shortfalls for you, why are even considering buying one? I wouldn't be purchasing something that wouldn't do the major things I wanted it for.

You can either listen to the naysayers that didn't get the device from Apple that they wanted - which basically was a netbook to blow away all the Winblows netbooks...

Or you can look to see what you need (or would just like to have) and find a device to fulfill that need for you.

Drjones 06-12-2010 07:00 PM

My only major complaint with the iPad is actually the screen - i wish they would have put a more pixel-dense screen in it, like the new iPhone.

Other than that, the performance is blazing fast, which is what's most important to me, and Im pretty happy with it overall.

I do of course have other minor complaints with it, but they are all software based and can be fixed with software updates. I also accept that the device wasn't going to be flawless, as it is the very first release.

Anyway, if you like it and think you will get use and enjoyment out of it, buy it. Don't play the waiting game with technology. Tech is just like women - there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS something better, faster and sexier just around the corner.

Kash 06-12-2010 07:20 PM

You have complaints about the screen? I think the screen was the biggest selling factor for me! It's absolutely gorgeous! And what do you need more pixels for? Everything looks great on the iPad's screen

Drjones 06-12-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kash (Post 1065773)
You have complaints about the screen? I think the screen was the biggest selling factor for me! It's absolutely gorgeous! And what do you need more pixels for? Everything looks great on the iPad's screen

It looks good for sure, but i just feel like text ofteseems a little too fuzzy. I don't see why they couldn't have put an even nicer screen in it.

Anyhow, that's really my only complaint and not a big one at that.

MinaMACMan 06-14-2010 03:10 AM

I have to agree with Kash, this screen is awesome.

But in the same time I see your point. But you have to keep in mind that apple chose this screen to help cut costs. The new Retina Display is gonna probably make it to iPad 2.0 but by then the cost will be less.

I have to say though for my current use, this screen is right on the money.

MMM

J.Fo 06-14-2010 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drjones (Post 1065775)
I don't see why they couldn't have put an even nicer screen in it.

When you say "nicer" here, I'm assuming you mean a higher density screen.

With all products such as this, there are certain engineering and costs decisions that have to be made. Apple had very aggressive pricing goals with the iPad. Putting a screen with the same pixel density as the iPhone 4 would likely have pushed the cost of the device above the company's target, making it far too expensive for many people. A higher resolution screen would also require more horsepower, which the A4 chip may not have yet. (That's an assumption on my part and not necessarily a fact.) It could also be a drain on battery life, pushing the total number of hours well below the current 10. All this and more could have contributed to the screen that was used.

As it stands, I will side with those who say the screen is one of its strongest features. Most desktop and laptop computers don't boast a display as nice as this. That is definitely saying something.

Lifeisabeach 06-18-2010 10:08 AM

Didn't Jobs say it is essentially the same screen as the iPhone 4? Yes… the pixel density isn't "quite" as high, but higher pixel density on a screen that size would mean a higher native resolution, which would require more processing power to render those graphics, which would mean apps would get larger in size, which would mean a bigger hit on the battery… etc etc. It's all a trade-off and you have to draw the line somewhere.

I'm also wondering if you think the text is fuzzy because you are looking at iPhone apps magnified to 2x.

bobtomay 06-18-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisabeach (Post 1068944)

I'm also wondering if you think the text is fuzzy because you are looking at iPhone apps magnified to 2x.

Yep, me too... Or you're maybe hitting the 40ish age range and it's time to start looking for glasses. I'm pretty picky about fuzzy text and it's one of the reasons I use Windows for my HTPC instead of OS X.

Voony 06-18-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtomay (Post 1061707)
I'm just sort of curious, if it has major shortfalls for you, why are even considering buying one? I wouldn't be purchasing something that wouldn't do the major things I wanted it for.

You can either listen to the naysayers that didn't get the device from Apple that they wanted - which basically was a netbook to blow away all the Winblows netbooks...

Or you can look to see what you need (or would just like to have) and find a device to fulfill that need for you.

aha nice Bob

the8thark 06-18-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Didn't Jobs say it is essentially the same screen as the iPhone 4? Yes… the pixel density isn't "quite" as high, but higher pixel density on a screen that size would mean a higher native resolution, which would require more processing power to render those graphics, which would mean apps would get larger in size, which would mean a bigger hit on the battery… etc etc. It's all a trade-off and you have to draw the line somewhere.

Same screen as the iphone 4 agreed. But there is a difference. A 100x100 pixel box will be much smaller on the iphone then on the ipad when pixel density comes into play. And small things are harder to see and use. If things get any smaller on the screen you'll need a stylus to use it. As the average finger will be too fat.

chas_m 06-20-2010 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djsban (Post 1061698)
My question was when would everyone guess at the first hardware refresh of the ipad?

My guess would be a MINOR refresh in the summer of 2011, followed by something more substantive in summer 2012, followed by a really major change in 2013.

This would follow the pattern of the iPhone -- the 3G was really just a 2G with an extra radio and a compass. The first real substantial speed bump was two years after the 2G, and the first real hardware overhaul will be Monday, about three years after initial introduction.

Drjones 06-20-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

1) The screen uses the same IPS technology, but clearly the pixel density is much higher on the iPhone 4. So no, they definitely aren't exactly the same.

2) No, of course I'm not referring to how iPhone apps look when blown up 2x on the iPad.

3) Good call on the resolution/graphics/processor equalling probably less battery. But it isn't possible to keep a display at 1024x768 (the iPad's resolution) and just have more pixels? I know that I've seen some laptops - Sony is a great example - that have gorgeous, very pixel-dense displays and normal resolutions.

Let me also be clear that I'm not unhappy with the iPad's display and it does look very good - but when the iPhone 4 was announced with its high pixel density, I realized that I'm probably going to be a little less impressed with my iPad's display.

Drjones 06-20-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Fo (Post 1066337)
When you say "nicer" here, I'm assuming you mean a higher density screen.

With all products such as this, there are certain engineering and costs decisions that have to be made. Apple had very aggressive pricing goals with the iPad. Putting a screen with the same pixel density as the iPhone 4 would likely have pushed the cost of the device above the company's target, making it far too expensive for many people. A higher resolution screen would also require more horsepower, which the A4 chip may not have yet. (That's an assumption on my part and not necessarily a fact.) It could also be a drain on battery life, pushing the total number of hours well below the current 10. All this and more could have contributed to the screen that was used.

As it stands, I will side with those who say the screen is one of its strongest features. Most desktop and laptop computers don't boast a display as nice as this. That is definitely saying something.

I completely understand what you're saying and I agree - but to an extent.

I know that phone manufacturers like Apple don't want to have a million different versions of the same device, but for years now I've been unable to comprehend why manufacturers don't create truly premium versions of their devices.

Especially for Apple, where its products are premium-priced already and I'm sure a significant portion of its devoted customer base is affluent, they could probably do quite well by offering a premium iPad with a very pixel dense display and even more RAM - not storage, but system RAM.

Blackberry is the worst at this, as most of their devices (at least back when I was using them two years ago) had only 64mb of RAM and this truly crippled the devices.

With how dirt cheap memory has become, it is unacceptable that RIM & other mobile phone companies don't put more in the phones - again, even if it means creating a "premium" device that gets offered alongside the "mainstream" device.

I realize adding more memory to the iPad is a slightly different feat as RAM is incorporated in the A4 processor, but still....I think they can and should do it.