Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
    1) The screen uses the same IPS technology, but clearly the pixel density is much higher on the iPhone 4. So no, they definitely aren't exactly the same.
    I didn't say they were exactly the same… "essentially the same", with a qualifier about the pixel density. But to back that up… yes. Same screen tech.
    iPhone 4 Overview - Vox

3) Good call on the resolution/graphics/processor equalling probably less battery. But it isn't possible to keep a display at 1024x768 (the iPad's resolution) and just have more pixels? I know that I've seen some laptops - Sony is a great example - that have gorgeous, very pixel-dense displays and normal resolutions.
    No, it's not. The pixel density, in combination with the screen size, determines the native resolution. More pixels on the iPad's screen as it is currently sized will lead to a higher native resolution. If you crammed more pixels on the screen, then used a lower resolution than what the native resolution should be, you'll get an awful-looking display.

Let me also be clear that I'm not unhappy with the iPad's display and it does look very good - but when the iPhone 4 was announced with its high pixel density, I realized that I'm probably going to be a little less impressed with my iPad's display.
    Then wait for the next iPad. Assuming they even up the pixel density, which I seriously doubt since that would either necessitate a drop in the size of the iPad to keep the native resolution constant, or an increase in the native resolution, which would have an impact on current app rendering. Apple isn't going to go and make changes like those so soon after introduction.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    There is absolutely, positively, 100% guaranteed ZERO chance that the iPad will change resolution anytime soon. The HUGE investment people are making in re-encoding video and games for the iPad, then Apple changes the resolution on them?

NA GA HA PEN.

I agree that a major change in resolution is unlikely during the first refresh. Cameras (1 or 2), adding the gyroscope in the iPhone 4, perhaps more connectivity, are the most likely hardware changes (IMHO).

Cheers

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    There is absolutely, positively, 100% guaranteed ZERO chance that the iPad will change resolution anytime soon. The HUGE investment people are making in re-encoding video and games for the iPad, then Apple changes the resolution on them?

NA GA HA PEN.
    Why because Apple has been so concerned with the feelings of developers and content providers in the past?

As for my prediction, I say we'll see some sort of minor upgrade this fall (probably more RAM considering the iPhone 4 now has 2x the ram of the iPad) to go along with an iOS 4.x release for iPad.

We'll see a major update of some kind, maybe a camera for FaceTime, in the Spring or Summer 2011.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    My guess would be a MINOR refresh in the summer of 2011, followed by something more substantive in summer 2012, followed by a really major change in 2013.

This would follow the pattern of the iPhone -- the 3G was really just a 2G with an extra radio and a compass. The first real substantial speed bump was two years after the 2G, and the first real hardware overhaul will be Monday, about three years after initial introduction.
    I have to politely disagree with you on that one. Many people in other forums have called me an idiot for my predictions but I feel like mine make sense, at least somewhat. I would predict that iPad 2 will be announced either this Fall or Winter 2011. I say this because Apple has been very "hush-hush" about iOS 4 on iPad and while they could just be keeping it quiet until they are fully done with it, I believe they could also be planning it's announcement alongside a refreshed iPad. If iPad 2 isn't announced this Fall, it will definitely be announced Winter 2011. Plus, Steve Jobs gave a very subtle hint at his WWDC Keynote when he said that Apple will sell "something-million FACETIME DEVICES" this year. "Devices" wouldn't be used if he were speaking only about iPhone 4. The only other possibility is iPod Touch, but that has no camera as of right now, so to expect a front-facing camera by this Fall on it would be foolish. That's just my prediction!
     MacBook Air 13'' (2013) 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7
     iPad 4 (16GB) White
     AT&T iPhone 5 (32GB) Black
     Original iPad (16GB) Black

Quote Originally Posted by macguy90 View Post
    I have to politely disagree with you on that one. Many people in other forums have called me an idiot for my predictions but I feel like mine make sense, at least somewhat. I would predict that iPad 2 will be announced either this Fall or Winter 2011. I say this because Apple has been very "hush-hush" about iOS 4 on iPad and while they could just be keeping it quiet until they are fully done with it, I believe they could also be planning it's announcement alongside a refreshed iPad. If iPad 2 isn't announced this Fall, it will definitely be announced Winter 2011. Plus, Steve Jobs gave a very subtle hint at his WWDC Keynote when he said that Apple will sell "something-million FACETIME DEVICES" this year. "Devices" wouldn't be used if he were speaking only about iPhone 4. The only other possibility is iPod Touch, but that has no camera as of right now, so to expect a front-facing camera by this Fall on it would be foolish. That's just my prediction!
    I for one am inclined to agree with you. It seems a bit odd to me that they are holding off iOS4 for the iPad until the fall. A modest refresh in time for the Christmas shopping season would help push sales further while throwing Apple's competitors completely off guard as they are scrambling to catch up with the first iteration.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    I for one am inclined to agree with you. It seems a bit odd to me that they are holding off iOS4 for the iPad until the fall. A modest refresh in time for the Christmas shopping season would help push sales further while throwing Apple's competitors completely off guard as they are scrambling to catch up with the first iteration.
    This year for a product refresh. That'd make a product cycle of 6 months. And that's just insane. You annoy a lot of current ipad owners. Sure it's the price you pay for being an early adopter. But even I think 6 months after is way to soon.

And I think the face time devices is more to do with an ipod touch update to have a good camera and retina display. And not to do with the ipad for the time being. Next year though I can see an ipad refresh being a much better move.

Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    This year for a product refresh. That'd make a product cycle of 6 months. And that's just insane. You annoy a lot of current ipad owners. Sure it's the price you pay for being an early adopter. But even I think 6 months after is way to soon.
    What's really sad is that every company but Apple can do this and not cause an uproar. Heck... HTC alone is putting out a new android phone... what.. every 2 months? 3?

------
    ------

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    Except when you consider that iOS 4 multi-tasking (which is a huge benefit on the iPad platform), performs tons better with 512MB RAM instead of the 256MB the currently units have.

In the end, if I were Apple, I'd err on the side of providing a better experience, even if it annoys people who may have bought one already.

Apple could easily sell both models potentially, the original at a lower price and a new one with more RAM. Just like they still sell the iPhone 3GS with the iPhone 4.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
    Well folks, it seems that I turned against my own opinion (lol!). I bought an iPad 16GB WiFi model, and absolutely love it! Although unlike many current iPad owners, I would love to see a new iPad by Christmas time. But we'll see. You never really know with Apple!
     MacBook Air 13'' (2013) 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7
     iPad 4 (16GB) White
     AT&T iPhone 5 (32GB) Black
     Original iPad (16GB) Black

Thread Information