New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Is the iPad the right size for you ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

doctorxring

doctorxring is on a distinguished road

I really like my iPad, but for my use, which is sitting or
laying in bed, web browsing or reading, I wish it was a
bit smaller. Closer to the size of the Kindle and easier
to hold with one hand.

How about you ?
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

I would love a 13"3 screen for home use love my current on but love to see a pro model.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorxring View Post
I really like my iPad, but for my use, which is sitting or
laying in bed, web browsing or reading, I wish it was a
bit smaller. Closer to the size of the Kindle and easier
to hold with one hand.

How about you ?
Nothing is perfect! One size does not fit all (but one size can "fit" most). I'm sure the size of the iPad that Apple decided on was a combination of:

- manufacturing "doability"
- financial "doability"
- consumer feedback via focus groups & survey's

If the iPad was the size of the Kindle...then I'm sure other folks would feel that the iPad was too small.

- Nick

p.s. If you want a smaller iPad (something you can hold in one hand)...Apple already has this product...it's called the iPod Touch!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

To add to what pigoo3 said if you need bigger then the MacBook Air should do it.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

For what it does it's fine, Look lets not kid ourselves size does matter. I'm sure down the road we will see other variants of the iPad, Like Badapple idea of a Pro model.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I think it's the perfect size. I can hold it horizontally and I can reach the entire keyboard with my thumbs. If it were just a bit bigger then I would have to hold it in one hand and type with the other. It's also light enough for me to hold it in one hand while reading or watching a video, but then again, I'm not a scrawny man

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

By the way (to the OP)...I'm not saying the iPad couldn't be improved.

But Apple had to decide on some sort of foot print for the iPad. If they made it smaller...maybe they thought that it would be too close to the Kindle...and therefore less "point of difference".

If Apple made the iPad bigger...then it could/would be similar in size to the 13" MacBooks & 13" MacBook Pro...and then the inevitable "laptop replacement" arguments would get even more "fuel"!

Also a bigger iPad would be more expensive (starting price of $499 for a product this "different" is pretty cool)!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

I dunno, I can see certain uses for the the iPad with a larger screen. But for me right now a d for my current uses, it is perfect sized.

I can stuff it with most of my documents that I need on the go during my daily travels and leave my brick of a laptop on my desk, I can lay down and watch some videos on it without worrying about where, and how to place it... It's light enough that I can change it's position on the fly. Also, let's not forget a bigger screen means less battery power... And I am currently blown away by the performance of the battery.

Just my $0.02
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I agree with the OP in this. Not that I would change the current iPad, but I would be open to an iPad Nano, sized midway between iPad and iPod Touch.
For that matter I'd buy an iPad Pro if that was available. I guess that makes me a hopeless gadget freak.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

It's a good size for me. I wouldn't mind it being a little lighter, but not at the cost of screen space.
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Nothing is perfect dude
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best ipad mobile charger | Will you buy an iPad? »