New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad screen goes black

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fosters2

fosters2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac's Macbook pros

From time to time the iPad screen goes black, right in the middle of whatever I'm doing. It can happen seconds after turning on the iPad, or much later. Doesn't seem to be application specific.

Only solution is to press the button at the bottom, which brings the screen back but closes the application. So I then have to relaunch the app. Annoying.

Anyone else seen this behavior? It's a 3G model.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

I've had my 3G for about a week now, never seen this issue. I'd recommend going to an apple store to have it looked at. It sounds like there is something wrong with the screen itself.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not seen that here either.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bfilmer

bfilmer is on a distinguished road

Hi
Yes I have this same problem.
Intermittently on restore and after rotation the screen goes blank for several seconds. If I push the button the screen comes back and you just see the app closing.

I did buy a genuine apple vga connector and the problem seemed to start after using this for the first time but that could be a coincidence.

Did you find a fix?
Brad
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.5 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Just for clarity .... are these iPad's jailbroken by any chance ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

I have the same problem on a 64gb nonjailbroken 3G. It seems like it is closing the app and putting the screen lock on randomly. I will take it back on Friday to see what they can do.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
midiac

midiac is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue with a non-jailbroken 64GB 3G
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

I have the same issue with my non-jailbroken iPad. not a big deal normally, but I have seen it happen a few times. No strange cables either. Random, not tied to any particular app either. Doesn't freeze or anything, just goes black and you are back at the icons when you push the home button.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Still not seeing this.

I am seeing the entire thing lock up when playing streaming videos all too often. It's not directly reproducible. Have seen enough, that I'm pretty sure I'll be springing for the additional year warranty, and the number of times I've bought those in the last 40 years is still in the single digits.

The only way out of the lock up is to hold both the power and home buttons until it shuts down. The first power on after that is in excess of 2 minutes.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
NeilP31

NeilP31 is on a distinguished road

Ive never seen this either...maybe its something to du with the 3g models... Thats wat u guys all have in common
QUOTE Thanks
hype7

hype7 is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem...

-- james
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've had this happen to me from time to time. A minor annoyance, I just figured it was a software glitch.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
rvest

rvest is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem too.
Ipad 3G, 64Gig (45 free), Not Jail Broken, Ver 3.2.2
Issue just started a couple of weeks ago? have had ipad since 3g version came out.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeffnene

Jeffnene is on a distinguished road

I am having same problem on a 32gb 3 iPad. I've had it for several months but it jus started doing this last week.
QUOTE Thanks
Kimmer

Kimmer is on a distinguished road

I have a first gen iPad, 64g, and for no apparent reason, the screen goes black and whatever app I am using is closed on me. It seems to be happening more and more frequently, especially when loading a blog, or trying to watch a YouTube video. I try to open safari or youtube again and it will often crash several times before it may or may not decide to load for me. It is extremely annoying and getting to the point where I don't want to use it! I lov(ed) my iPad!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble rotating on ios6 | ipad1 - connection »