New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Invisible Shield?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I bought an InvisibleShield for the front of my iPad (when the iPad arrives of course). The idea was to fit this as soon as the iPad arrives, so it will never get scratched or covered with fingerprints.

Two things I have noticed just from the shield: It looks much smaller than I imagined the iPad to be and the installation looks pretty scary.

Has anyone else tried this protective screen please? I really dread the idea of having to go through the process of installing it, especially as they suggest leaving the device turned off for at least 12 hours afterwards?
QUOTE Thanks
stingray

stingray is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |

I have my iPhone fully covered with an InvisibleShield. But, it was installed by the vendor at one of those stands in the mall. They used a spray bottle with some type of liquid then placed the shield on and squeegeed it dry. Didn't look hard, but I guess if you do it all day it wouldn't be...
QUOTE Thanks
rotorua

rotorua is on a distinguished road

I installed the Invisibleshield. It's tricky. Getting the transparent film to peel away from its backing is a challenge. You'll need fingernails!...and patience!! Keep the little bottle of solution close by as you may need to re-apply it to your fingertips. As I peeled the film away, static or clumsiness ensured that the film doubled-back on itself and self-adhesion ocurred. This was a bit of a nightmare. However I persevered and I installed the front and back shields. I left it for a full 24 hours to 'cure'. The screen has lost its glassy appearance and now the body in general has a slightly rubbery/tacky feel to it. This has the added benefit of making the device less slippery to hold. After a day or so the shield continues to flatten-out. Eventually during normal use you will become unaware of the shield and you'll only really notice it when the machine is switched off and the screen is black and sitting in oblique light. Try to select as dust-free an environment as possible for this procedure. I have 2 motes now permanently entombed but they are never going to detract from the touch-screen or viewing experience. There are also a few tiny areas around the edges which will never adhere, but again I don't evpect that this will impede my enjoyment. The attached photo was taken post application of the Invisibleshield and also depicts the kind of hazards from which I hope that it is now somewhat protected i.e. Grandchildren and Diamonds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1000x1333.jpg (789.0 KB, 26 views)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I had a Zagg InvisibleShield on my MacBook Pro. If it's the same material that they're using as a screen protector, I'm not sure that I'd recommend it. My iPod Touch has a piece of Crystal Film on it, as does my HTC Incredible. These films are developed specifically to cover touchscreen devices, and mimic the feel of the glass. The material that the InvisibleShield uses is rubbery and requires liquid to apply (not sure how keen I'd be on spraying solution all over a brand new iPad).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
twodarhythm

twodarhythm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla

I put the invisible shield on my friendsiPad. (just the front part) He bought it because it was the only screen protector best buy had left. It was a little tricky peeling off of the plastic but it wasnt too bad applying. I'd say it was easier than a regular screen protector because the solution lets you slide it around a bit. (not too much). There was a lot of solution that got on the ipad which I wasnt crazy about and I didnt realize you were supposed to keep it off, lol. He hasnt had any complaints... I dont like the way it makes my finger stick though. Just like the plain screen protectors. I can only do the anti-glare on mine.

I love to jump out of perfectly good airplanes!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Invisishield and ZAGG use materials bought from the same supplier! It's the same material, just that ZAGG uses a higher grade material(only really noticeable when applied to cars though). Working on this for so long, I can pretty much install it in my sleep. I have it on my ipad, iphone, car, mbp, table, and more, simply because it works! It's rather hard and scary to install for someone doing it the first time, but I know for sure that ZAGG will work with you if you are really frustrated with the outcome(they'll send you another one if you mess it up). With the solution that comes with(mixture of water, alcohol, and soap), it lets you maneuver the material until you have it perfectly aligned. Good luck with it!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Invisishield and ZAGG use materials bought from the same supplier!
ZAGG is the company that makes the brand name InvisibleShield. They are one and the same.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
JNL Productions

JNL Productions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06ghz 4gb ram 1tb hdd, 15" Macbook Pro 320gb HDD 4gb ram, iPhone 4 32gb, and iPad 3G 64gb

This was definitely a difficult installation. In my opinion, it requires the hands and focus of a surgeon (lucky there's one in the family) and even he had some difficulties. At first after installation there were a lot of imperfections but they go away after a while. I'm glad I bought the invisishield but it is a difficult process getting it on.

"The only reason we die is because we accept it as an inevitability." -Stewie Griffin

What do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I now have the iPad and the InvisibleShield - not sure if I have the courage to introduce the two to each other though
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So all apple stores sold out finally just ordered it online! | This is a GREAT Place for an IPAD »