New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Want to use your ipad as a 2ndary display for your mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Want to use your ipad as a 2ndary display for your mac?
Well an app has been sublitted to the appstore claiming just that.

Air Display Avatron Software
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I like it.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

That's just flippin COOL!!!!! Can't wait!
QUOTE Thanks
Chelsea_Man

Chelsea_Man is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5 GHz MBP 4GB Ram Glossy Screen

That is brilliant.
QUOTE Thanks
twodarhythm

twodarhythm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla

looks pretty neat!

I love to jump out of perfectly good airplanes!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I recall seeing a rumor some time back that Apple was developing a "device" that would serve as a multi-touch trackpad, a secondary monitor, and as a stand-alone tablet device. Of course, since then we've gotten the iPad, but as it turns out, it is in fact that device also with the help of 3rd-party apps.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

Hey, that there has possibilities.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I was wondering when someone was going to do something like that. I did that some time ago with an old iBook. Used the second screen for Photoshop tools. It was really slow. Hopefully this will be better.

I have already tried using the iPad to control a headless Mac. That worked pretty well but there again the screen redraw was a bit slow. There has got to be a fix for that.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I have already tried using the iPad to control a headless Mac. That worked pretty well but there again the screen redraw was a bit slow. There has got to be a fix for that.
What app are/were you using? I have RemoteTap on my iPhone, and while it's not quite as fast as sitting at the Mac itself, it is supposed to be the fastest available. They don't use the built-in VNC server in OS X... you install their own server, which renders the display in a manner that is optimized for the iPhone. I don't have an iPad (yet), but if they have a version optimized for the iPad's faster hardware, it might be better still.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think I was using RealVNC - VNC Viewer for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. It is not bad but I was looking for something that also handled file transfer and had sound support, Needed it to full access a headless Mac. I am going to try iTeleport but I am having some trouble resetting my gmail password (stupid captcha symbols).

QUOTE Thanks
agn847

agn847 is on a distinguished road

oh wow this is probably one of the coolest things I've seen for the iPad
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I think I was using RealVNC - VNC Viewer for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. It is not bad but I was looking for something that also handled file transfer and had sound support, Needed it to full access a headless Mac. I am going to try iTeleport but I am having some trouble resetting my gmail password (stupid captcha symbols).
I'm not acquainted with iTeleport, but that aside, what you want to do can certainly be accomplished with various apps. With the upcoming OS 4 supporting 3rd-party multitasking, you should be able to fully utilize those multiple apps if you can't find a single one that works.

For ex: RemoteTap as a VNC client, Airfoil Speakers Touch to send you sound, and Air Sharing for file transfer.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I am.sure there are several that will work. it is just a matter of finding one I like. The description iTeleport should do what I want once I get past the password issue. I was going to look for something that did file transfer but I can do that with unless of course the Mobile Me client and iDisk.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Calibre set up on Ipad | Sorting TV Shows By Episode Number? »