Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iPad Hardware and Accessories (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/)
-   -   Want to use your ipad as a 2ndary display for your mac? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/202494-want-use-your-ipad-2ndary-display-your-mac.html)

the8thark 05-18-2010 11:13 PM

Want to use your ipad as a 2ndary display for your mac?

Want to use your ipad as a 2ndary display for your mac?
Well an app has been sublitted to the appstore claiming just that.

Air Display Avatron Software

osxx 05-18-2010 11:38 PM

I like it.

iggibar 05-18-2010 11:48 PM

That's just flippin COOL!!!!! Can't wait!

Chelsea_Man 05-19-2010 11:26 AM

That is brilliant.

twodarhythm 05-19-2010 01:08 PM

looks pretty neat!

Lifeisabeach 05-19-2010 01:17 PM

I recall seeing a rumor some time back that Apple was developing a "device" that would serve as a multi-touch trackpad, a secondary monitor, and as a stand-alone tablet device. Of course, since then we've gotten the iPad, but as it turns out, it is in fact that device also with the help of 3rd-party apps.

tiger roach 05-19-2010 05:45 PM

Hey, that there has possibilities.

Slydude 05-19-2010 09:11 PM

I was wondering when someone was going to do something like that. I did that some time ago with an old iBook. Used the second screen for Photoshop tools. It was really slow. Hopefully this will be better.

I have already tried using the iPad to control a headless Mac. That worked pretty well but there again the screen redraw was a bit slow. There has got to be a fix for that.

Lifeisabeach 05-19-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slydude (Post 1055092)
I have already tried using the iPad to control a headless Mac. That worked pretty well but there again the screen redraw was a bit slow. There has got to be a fix for that.

What app are/were you using? I have RemoteTap on my iPhone, and while it's not quite as fast as sitting at the Mac itself, it is supposed to be the fastest available. They don't use the built-in VNC server in OS X... you install their own server, which renders the display in a manner that is optimized for the iPhone. I don't have an iPad (yet), but if they have a version optimized for the iPad's faster hardware, it might be better still.

Slydude 05-19-2010 10:23 PM

I think I was using RealVNC - VNC Viewer for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. It is not bad but I was looking for something that also handled file transfer and had sound support, Needed it to full access a headless Mac. I am going to try iTeleport but I am having some trouble resetting my gmail password (stupid captcha symbols).

agn847 05-19-2010 11:13 PM

oh wow this is probably one of the coolest things I've seen for the iPad :)

Lifeisabeach 05-20-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slydude (Post 1055123)
I think I was using RealVNC - VNC Viewer for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. It is not bad but I was looking for something that also handled file transfer and had sound support, Needed it to full access a headless Mac. I am going to try iTeleport but I am having some trouble resetting my gmail password (stupid captcha symbols).

I'm not acquainted with iTeleport, but that aside, what you want to do can certainly be accomplished with various apps. With the upcoming OS 4 supporting 3rd-party multitasking, you should be able to fully utilize those multiple apps if you can't find a single one that works.

For ex: RemoteTap as a VNC client, Airfoil Speakers Touch to send you sound, and Air Sharing for file transfer.

Slydude 05-20-2010 01:59 AM

I am.sure there are several that will work. it is just a matter of finding one I like. The description iTeleport should do what I want once I get past the password issue. I was going to look for something that did file transfer but I can do that with unless of course the Mobile Me client and iDisk.