No Ibooks in Canada?
    So, first I order the Ipad on Monday, only to have Rogers $20 add on data plan withdrawn.

Today, I walked by a bookstore, saw a new title, and said "wait until the Ipad arrives and order it via Ibooks"

Come home, click on the features page of, and no Ibooks link. Click on the US version, and the link exists.

WTH? One of the reasons for purchasing, was to finally get books and magazines online at US prices. No longer have to hear about, shipping costs, smaller market, etc.

Why is Ibooks not available?

Can I simply open an Itunes account, and someone state that I live in US? That is far-fetched, since I've ordered it for the Canadian launch date.

Heading down to Buffalo for the wifi version is starting to sound better every day.

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Because Apple must have an agreement in place with the copyright holders in each and every country they open the book store. Same reason Amazon took time to make theirs available anywhere but the US.

You'll not be able to purchase any content in itunes that is only available in the US without a US address and a US credit card.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    This is a press release from the Apple Canada site:iPad Available in Nine More Countries on May 28

And here is a quote from that page.
    The iBooks™ app for iPad including Apple’s iBookstore will be available as a free download from the App Store on May 28.
    So you will get your ibooks. How many books will be on it is another question. That depends on exactly whay bob said. Deals between Apple and book publishers in your country.

Thanks for info. above. Will wait and see on May 28th.

If not, Amazon Kindle appears to be ready, willing and able to take Canadian orders:

We are excited to now ship Kindle to Canada. Customers in Canada will enjoy:
    Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute

Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. For non-U.S. customers, there are also no additional charges for wireless delivery in or outside your home country. See Coverage Map. See Wireless Terms and Conditions

Growing Selection: Over 390,000 English-language books to choose from; plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines are available for your country. Because publishers give us eBook rights on a country by country basis, available titles for your country will vary from our current U.S selection. We are actively working with publishers to get the rights to all titles for every country and adding this selection every day. Check the Kindle Store to see available titles.

Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99, unless marked otherwise. You'll also find many books for less - over 135,000 titles are priced under $5.99

From what I've read, there is a Kindle app. Should work.

Napier NZ
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    My hope is that the iPad will do for books what the iPod did for music. Having bought 35 books through eReader for my iPhone, then just recently New Zealand has suddenly become a Non approved country. Guess someone has been missing out on 'clipping the ticket' and is trying to lock in their previous profits.

Thread Information