switching from macbook to ipad?
    hi guys,
    i've got a question:
    i'm using my imac at home and i've a macbook (2007) that i don't use that much. Do you think selling the macbook and buying a new ipad is the right solution for me (surfing, music, emails..not only at home...)?

Thank you

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Safest bet would be to get an iPad first then conduct that experiment I think all 3 have a
    place but thats just me.

I also have a macbook and would like an ipad. However they are far from interchangeable. You cannot load a cd or dvd, cannot copy data to a usb flashdrive, cannot load applications not available as an apple app. Does not have an infrared sensor for remotes. It is a great gadget but more of an accessory to a standard computer than a standalone.

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    If you're already not using the Macbook that much and you have an iMac it's a fairly safe bet you could dump the Macbook for the iPad.
    Having said that the advice to get an iPad first and try it is an excellent idea.

I'm keeping my MBP but it doesn't get anywhere near as much use as it did.

Specs:
    PC Baby!
    It all depends on what you use the laptop for. In my case the iPad replaced a Sony Reader, a Nintendo DS and a Netbook....all with ease. But if you rip DVD's, use Photoshop, or run a small biz from your laptop, then no....

From the uses you listed, I would say yes.....
    Bremen Cole
    iPad 1st Gen 16G WIFI
    Music = http://www.bremencole.com
    Bike Journal = http://www.bikejournal.com/journal_p...ame=BremenCole

Specs:
    2,4Ghz 15" unibody
    hh, no way the iPad could replace my MBP

it's a gadget, not a computer, but then I don't expect my computer just to play music and surf the web

Quote Originally Posted by scathe View Post
    hh, no way the iPad could replace my MBP

it's a gadget, not a computer, but then I don't expect my computer just to play music and surf the web
    thank u all, as i said already, for "working stuff" i'd use the imac, do i think my macbook will be replaced with an ipad

Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    As mentioned it depends on what you use your laptop for. The iPad like its cousin the iPod Touch and iPhone are used more for consumption of digital media such as watching movies, surfing the internet, listening to music, reading digital books/magazines, playing games, etc.

It's not so good for creating things such as word documents, video/image editing, playing advanced games, etc. If you already own the iPhone/Touch then you will know the limitations of an iPad. In other words it's more of a dedicated portable media entertainment center rather than a replacement to a laptop. If that is how you use your laptop then yes the iPad can replace it since you said you do your "work stuff" on your iMac.

The best way to find out is to try it as others have suggested. We are not you so we don't know if it will fully fit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
    As mentioned it depends on what you use your laptop for.
    i use my macbook for browsing, mails, music and pictures (no editing) and sometimes to write with pages, so it seems that the ipad is the "right" device for me. i've already an iphone so i know already the limitations of the iphone/ipad OS.

my doubt was only if it's "right" to change the macbook with an ipad...?! probably yes because the macbook is the early 2007 model...?!

Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    Quote Originally Posted by iphant View Post
    my doubt was only if it's "right" to change the macbook with an ipad...?! probably yes because the macbook is the early 2007 model...?!
    If you aren't using your laptop much then I don't see why you want to keep it anyway. If you think getting an iPad will make you use the portability more then I think you have got your answer. You might have money left over if you sell the MacBook and bought an iPad unless you want the high end iPads. Macs usually hold their price value pretty well but you won't know until you actually sell it.

Granted that I do play with my new iPad more than my new MBP, I don't think the iPad could ever replace a laptop.

**** no.
    MBP is my next purchase.

Thread Information