New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

switching from macbook to ipad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iphant

iphant is on a distinguished road

hi guys,
i've got a question:
i'm using my imac at home and i've a macbook (2007) that i don't use that much. Do you think selling the macbook and buying a new ipad is the right solution for me (surfing, music, emails..not only at home...)?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Safest bet would be to get an iPad first then conduct that experiment I think all 3 have a
place but thats just me.
QUOTE Thanks
alanstolier1@gm

alanstolier1@gm is on a distinguished road

I also have a macbook and would like an ipad. However they are far from interchangeable. You cannot load a cd or dvd, cannot copy data to a usb flashdrive, cannot load applications not available as an apple app. Does not have an infrared sensor for remotes. It is a great gadget but more of an accessory to a standard computer than a standalone.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

If you're already not using the Macbook that much and you have an iMac it's a fairly safe bet you could dump the Macbook for the iPad.
Having said that the advice to get an iPad first and try it is an excellent idea.

I'm keeping my MBP but it doesn't get anywhere near as much use as it did.
QUOTE Thanks
Bremen Cole

Bremen Cole will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PC Baby!

It all depends on what you use the laptop for. In my case the iPad replaced a Sony Reader, a Nintendo DS and a Netbook....all with ease. But if you rip DVD's, use Photoshop, or run a small biz from your laptop, then no....

From the uses you listed, I would say yes.....

Bremen Cole
iPad 1st Gen 16G WIFI
Music = http://www.bremencole.com
Bike Journal = http://www.bikejournal.com/journal_p...ame=BremenCole
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

hh, no way the iPad could replace my MBP

it's a gadget, not a computer, but then I don't expect my computer just to play music and surf the web
QUOTE Thanks
iphant

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathe View Post
hh, no way the iPad could replace my MBP

it's a gadget, not a computer, but then I don't expect my computer just to play music and surf the web
thank u all, as i said already, for "working stuff" i'd use the imac, do i think my macbook will be replaced with an ipad
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

As mentioned it depends on what you use your laptop for. The iPad like its cousin the iPod Touch and iPhone are used more for consumption of digital media such as watching movies, surfing the internet, listening to music, reading digital books/magazines, playing games, etc.

It's not so good for creating things such as word documents, video/image editing, playing advanced games, etc. If you already own the iPhone/Touch then you will know the limitations of an iPad. In other words it's more of a dedicated portable media entertainment center rather than a replacement to a laptop. If that is how you use your laptop then yes the iPad can replace it since you said you do your "work stuff" on your iMac.

The best way to find out is to try it as others have suggested. We are not you so we don't know if it will fully fit your needs.
QUOTE Thanks
iphant

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
As mentioned it depends on what you use your laptop for.
i use my macbook for browsing, mails, music and pictures (no editing) and sometimes to write with pages, so it seems that the ipad is the "right" device for me. i've already an iphone so i know already the limitations of the iphone/ipad OS.

my doubt was only if it's "right" to change the macbook with an ipad...?! probably yes because the macbook is the early 2007 model...?!
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphant View Post
my doubt was only if it's "right" to change the macbook with an ipad...?! probably yes because the macbook is the early 2007 model...?!
If you aren't using your laptop much then I don't see why you want to keep it anyway. If you think getting an iPad will make you use the portability more then I think you have got your answer. You might have money left over if you sell the MacBook and bought an iPad unless you want the high end iPads. Macs usually hold their price value pretty well but you won't know until you actually sell it.
QUOTE Thanks
pmurray633

pmurray633 is on a distinguished road

Granted that I do play with my new iPad more than my new MBP, I don't think the iPad could ever replace a laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
lucky7

lucky7 is on a distinguished road

**** no.
MBP is my next purchase.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Ibooks in Canada? | order acknowledgement? »