New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

My iPad screen has a scratch!!??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JNL Productions

JNL Productions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06ghz 4gb ram 1tb hdd, 15" Macbook Pro 320gb HDD 4gb ram, iPhone 4 32gb, and iPad 3G 64gb

I'm always really careful with any Apple products I get and I have no idea how it got there, but there is a 1 cm long scratch in the upper middle portion of my screen. I've talked to some people and they say that it's to deep to polish out (I can feel it with my finger). Should I get a screen protector now? It's not really that noticeable while using the device unless for some reason you're right under a bright light, but still it's really annoying. Anyone else have any scratches?

"The only reason we die is because we accept it as an inevitability." -Stewie Griffin

What do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
gnotti211

gnotti211 is on a distinguished road

I would definitely not try to polish it out due to the damage that could be done to the screen while doing so with all the technology packed in there.

However, I would definitely invest in a screen protector now. On one of my old iPod Touches, a screen protector "filled in" a couple small scratches I had on the screen to the point where I could never notice them. 1 cm seems pretty small, but a screen protector may help cover it up so you can't even feel it and it will also prevent new scratches.
QUOTE Thanks
JNL Productions

JNL Productions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06ghz 4gb ram 1tb hdd, 15" Macbook Pro 320gb HDD 4gb ram, iPhone 4 32gb, and iPad 3G 64gb

Yeah I've decided against polishing it due to the potential damage. I'm going to buy a screen protector but I don't know whether to go glossy or matte. I would think the matte would cover up the scratch for the most part but the glossy will keep that crystal clear resolution. Any particular brands I should look into as well?

"The only reason we die is because we accept it as an inevitability." -Stewie Griffin

What do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
pat3ck

pat3ck is on a distinguished road

Personally, I suggest ZAGG's invisibleSHIELD or RadTech's ClearCal. You can find short reviews of both on my blog.

Hope it helps!
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

I put one one the minute I get a new toy.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I really like the RadTech anti-glare protector. One of the easier ones to put on that I've used. Went from having to clean the screen every half hour to about once every few days. Videos still look great. Friends and family that see it are still impressed.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

Screen protectors are the only way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I have had several Palm devices over the years and always put on a protective shield. Never found the need so far with my iPhone, but the iPad is so much larger.

The only problem is that I always ended up with a few little bubbles I could not get rid of. This was not too much of a problem with the tiny screen on my Treo, or even the slightly larger ones on the T5 and TX, but with an iPad?

How do you get the protectors to fix in place without bubbles?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Unfortunately, there are PLENTY of people, especially on THIS forum, who keep on saying that the ipad/itouch/iphone screens are scratch proof…THEY ARE NOT! They, in fact, can easily be scratched to the point that you have no idea how it even got there. Don't listen to anyone who says you don't need a screen cover, If you don't want scratches, PUT ONE ON, and don't listen to what everyone says. After all, this is GLASS! Even diamonds aren't scratch proof! I have the same screen protector on order that bobtomay has, been reading some decent reviews on it. I also ordered one for my MBP.

Nighthawk4,
How do you get the protectors to fix in place without bubbles?
-Take your time, go slowly. The static/silicone screen protectors don't leave air bubbles unless you don't clean the screen enough, which leaves dust particles, which make it seem like there is an air bubble, when in fact, it's a stuck dust particle.
QUOTE Thanks
citiboi

citiboi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNL Productions View Post
I'm always really careful with any Apple products I get and I have no idea how it got there, but there is a 1 cm long scratch in the upper middle portion of my screen. I've talked to some people and they say that it's to deep to polish out (I can feel it with my finger). Should I get a screen protector now? It's not really that noticeable while using the device unless for some reason you're right under a bright light, but still it's really annoying. Anyone else have any scratches?
People have reported varying degrees of success with rubber pencil erasers ("erasing" the slight scratch off) and toothpaste (polishing very gently the scratch). However, I must add a disclaimer that these methods have been tested on passive LCD touchscreens and NOT capacitive touchscreen.

You may try "filling" the scratch with a water-based petroleum gel. If you are happy with the result then protect your screen with a screen protector. Otherwise, just try using a screen protector which is known to cover over minor scratches.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

jacksonian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Unfortunately, there are PLENTY of people, especially on THIS forum, who keep on saying that the ipad/itouch/iphone screens are scratch proof…THEY ARE NOT! They, in fact, can easily be scratched to the point that you have no idea how it even got there. Don't listen to anyone who says you don't need a screen cover, If you don't want scratches, PUT ONE ON, and don't listen to what everyone says. After all, this is GLASS! Even diamonds aren't scratch proof! I have the same screen protector on order that bobtomay has, been reading some decent reviews on it. I also ordered one for my MBP.
I guess I'm confused by your statement that it's "easily scratched" when I've watched the videos of people intentionally trying to scratch it and not being able to do it.

I know that glass can scratch, I have a very expensive watch with a scratched crystal on my wrist right now. But I'm not sure I'd use the word "easily" to describe it.
QUOTE Thanks
twodarhythm

twodarhythm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla

I have an anti glare protector on my iPad and I love it. Not only does it not smudge as much and reduces glare, but, i think it makes the resolution look crisper. I always thought the same thing with the anti glare on my iphone.

I love to jump out of perfectly good airplanes!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I guess I'm confused by your statement that it's "easily scratched" when I've watched the videos of people intentionally trying to scratch it and not being able to do it.

I know that glass can scratch, I have a very expensive watch with a scratched crystal on my wrist right now. But I'm not sure I'd use the word "easily" to describe it.
I don't care what you do with your ipad, just don't go telling people that they DON'T need a screen cover, by saying that is is scratch proof, because the truth is that it isn't! Simple as that!
QUOTE Thanks
mexipat

mexipat is on a distinguished road

I don't have one but I'm thinking about it. In theory, you shouldn't need one as it is covered with a case except for when you are touching it with your finger. Unlike the iPhone, it won't be in a pocket with keys.
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

jacksonian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
I don't care what you do with your ipad, just don't go telling people that they DON'T need a screen cover, by saying that is is scratch proof, because the truth is that it isn't! Simple as that!
Did you actually read my post that you quoted? I didn't tell anyone that they do or don't need a screen cover and I never said it was scratch proof.

But you're the one that said it was "easily scratched" so I wanted to know how you came to that conclusion. It seems like your statement is just as much an exaggeration as the "scratch proof" claim.

I certainly don't want anyone, anywhere to ever get a scratch on their iPad, especially ME. I have always used the Power Support Crystal films on my iPhones because my iPhone gets thrown in my pocket with keys as mentioned. But I haven't put one on my iPad yet and was debating about it. Obviously it's nice for peace of mind, but if it's always in the iPad case, I'm not sure it's actually necessary with the iPad.

Now, if someone can tell us HOW they managed to accidentally scratch their iPad, then that would be useful info.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How long for more video? | IPad: Will not charge - at all; Will not power off; battery level going down rapidly »