New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Apple press release - says UK/AUS ipad prices

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Apple press release - says UK ipad prices
Apple (United Kingdom) - Press Releases - iPad Available in Nine More Countries on May 28th
iPad Available in Nine More Countries on 28 May

And the prices are in UK pounds and Australian dollars

16GB Wi-Fi - £429/$629
32GB Wi-Fi - £499/$759
64GB Wi-Fi - £599/$879

16GB 3G - £529/$799
32GB 3G - £599/$928
64GB 3G - £699/$1049

Quote:
The iBooks app for iPad including Apple’s iBookstore will be available as a free download from the App Store on May 28th.
And they are to be on sale in the 28th May. (ibooks will be released on this date too for Australia and the UK, not sure about other countries).

And as a comparison I'd like to list the prices in UK pounds and Aussie dollars of some similarily priced Apple products. Just to help people decide if the ipad is worth it or not.

Mac Mini - from £510/$849
imac - from £969/$1599

In the US a 32GB Wi-Fi ipad and the cheapest Mini both cost $599. So in the UK the 32GB Wi-Fi is almost the same price as a Mini. But in Australia it's about $100 cheaper then the Mini.

And today's conversion's rates are $1US=$1.13AUS=£0.68

And converting the US ipad's prices directly to pounds and Aussie dollars (using the above conversion rates) you'd get

32GB Wi-Fi - £406/$675
32GB 3G - £494/$821

A big difference between that and the actual prices Apple is charging.

And for those in the UK here is Orange's 3G data plan prices for the ipad:
http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/05...ad-wi-fi-3g-2/
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

We always get ripped off here in the UK with pricing!

Sucks @ss!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Agreed. The UK gets it pretty bad.
But look at Australia. It's over $1000 for the best 3G ipad. That's 4 figures.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Do those prices reflect the VAT or is that before? Also does Australia have a VAT?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Do those prices reflect the VAT or is that before? Also does Australia have a VAT?

Regards.
No we have the GST and that is included in the final price you see given by the8thark ...

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post

Regards.
If you click on the UK link in the first post the prices say:
Quote:
inc. VAT
And yes TattooedMac is right. All Aussie prices include the GST.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnLynch

JohnLynch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
16GB Wi-Fi - 429/$629
16GB 3G - 529/$799p
I just don't see how 3G can justify an extra $170. Not for my own personal usage. The markup is actually fairly reasonable (when you consider Australia always gets gouged with imported goods). Its only a $65 price hike. Does America's price include their own sales tax? because if it doesn't, I think Australia is actually on par.
QUOTE Thanks
tdll1313

tdll1313 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore

I love when the United States are called simply "America" for some reason! The price revealed by apple at launch did not include sales tax. I got the iPad 32 gig wifi+3G which was 729 but after tax came out to 780 roughly.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnLynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdll1313 View Post
I love when the United States are called simply "America" for some reason!
I love when the United States of America are called simply the United States. As if they have a monopoly on states which are united in such a fashion as to establish a nation
QUOTE Thanks
tdll1313

tdll1313 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
I love when the United States of America are called simply the United States. As if they have a monopoly on states which are united in such a fashion as to establish a nation
Lol!! That!s funny right there.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I agree that the UK pricing is harsh. Certainly get's crossed off my purchase list. I'll stick with my MacBook and iPhone thx.

However..... I can see the market they're aiming at.

In the US the base model iPad is $10 more than a Kindle DX($489)
In the UK the base model iPad is £5 more than a Kindle DX(£424)

So if you are in the market for an ebook reader, choosing the iPad over the Kindle DX (on features alone) is a no-brainer.

The 3g issue is (IMHO) just greedy, you can buy phones with 3g for <£30 the price hike seems rather unreasonable.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
And I find it funny when it just called America. By America do you mean Unites States of America or North America or South America or the whole north&south America land mass as a whole?

I just call it the US just to avoid the above confusion I just mentioned.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnLynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
And I find it funny when it just called America. By America do you mean Unites States of America or North America or South America or the whole north&south America land mass as a whole?

I just call it the US just to avoid the above confusion I just mentioned.
You know many people who refer to the Americas as America? That's some pretty peculiar people you know there. I don't know if I've ever met someone who was confused when "America" was used in a conversation and mistakenly thought I was referring to one or both of the continents collectively known as the Americas.
QUOTE Thanks
zoi

zoi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 3.06 GHz 4 GB RAM 1TB Hard Drive

In the UK we can start pre-ordering from 10th May from the Apple store. I was wondering whther other resellers would be accepting pre-orders from this date?
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

You'd have to askt he other retailers themselves I think. Because I heard in Australia many resellers are not getting in the ipad to sell to after May 28. So the preorder is only through Apple (online or instore). That is only a rumour mind you.

And the UK could be the same. So just contact your local Apple resellers and ask them if they are getting in the ipad. I'm sure by now they would know if they are or not for the pre-order.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Alternative docks? | New international Apple iPad preorders now ship by June 7 »