New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

What Does "Renew Lease" Mean?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

goddess_of_go

goddess_of_go is on a distinguished road

I have been having trouble with my wi-fi disconnecting at home. When I first got the iPad and connected to my network it was connected without a problem for a couple days.

Then I went to the hair salon yesterday, and they gave me the password to their secure network so I logged in there.

When I got home I was NOT automatically logged in my home network, and since then I have lost the connection a few times and been asked for the password each time to log back in. This is annoying because it is a random sequence of numbers and capital letters that came with the Verizon Fios installation. Pretty soon I should have it memorized, however.

I looked at the wi-fi settings on the iPad, and I even read the relevenat parts of the manual. But I can't figure out how to get the iPad to remember the network. It is set to forget the network. I notice a button labeled "Renew Lease" which sounds like it might solve my problem, but nowhere can I find an explanation of what this button actually does. When I press it I get the choice to "renew" or "cancel". Since I don't know what it is actually going to do I hit "cancel".

I'm tempted to just hit "renew" and see what happens, but I am wary.

What is this button for? And should I press it? :-)

Terri
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I'm not exactly sure how the network settings work for the iPad...but maybe they are some similarities with Macintosh computers.

With a Macintosh computer...when you go into the "network preferences"...and click on the "advanced settings"...you can drag the network names (in the list) into the order in which you want to join or connect.

I think that when you join or connect to a "new" network (like your hair salon)...the new network goes to the top of the list. So to get your home network to automatically connect when you turn on your iPad (at home)...you would need to drag your home networks name to the top of the list.

Hopefully the iPad works similarly,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
goddess_of_go

Thanks for the reply, but there does not appear to be any way to access a list of previous used networks.

I might have to bother Apple Care with this questions.

Terri
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

When you join a network you "lease" an IP address on the network. They usually have a timeout of a day or so, where you device is assigned a number and it's what the network uses to communicate with your device. If you renew the lease, your device asked whatever is controlling the network (probably a router) to lease the IP address again for whatever set period it is set to.
QUOTE Thanks
goddess_of_go

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828 View Post
When you join a network you "lease" an IP address on the network. They usually have a timeout of a day or so, where you device is assigned a number and it's what the network uses to communicate with your device. If you renew the lease, your device asked whatever is controlling the network (probably a router) to lease the IP address again for whatever set period it is set to.
Is it customary for a home network to limit the time you can be logged in?

I don't have to log in repeatedly with my Macbook or my iMac.

Thanks for this information.

Terri
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

OK, let's do a little computer education on DHCP and IP's.

When you connect to a network and your computer is set to DHCP (for automatic settings) it sends out a request looking for a DHCP server. If one responds, it asks for an IP and any other associated information for that network like proxy information and DNS. Once it is received, as pointed out, you are "leasing" that IP from the server. The reason for this is that if you remove the computer from the network the server has no way of knowing if that IP is still in use. So, if you removed it and the lease date came due the DHCP server will send a request to the device to "renew" the lease. If there is no response the IP is put back in the pool of valid IP's for the network so that another device can use it later. If you respond the lease is update for another set amount of time etc...

Now, if you were to press "renew" all you are doing is send a message to the server that you are still there and still want the IP, that is about it.

I use the term server because it is, in fact, a service that is generally provided by a server. However, home routers also include this service to make home networking easier.

I suspect that the reasons for your network not reconnecting are due to software. I have heard a few people complain that they kept being dropped from their router on their IPad. You might try a full restore of the device and if that doesn't work you might wait until apple releases the next firmware update to see if they make it a bit more stable.
QUOTE Thanks
goddess_of_go

Thanks. This makes sense.

So does this mean that my Macbook and iMac are automatically requesting a renewal on their lease since I have never seen any message asking me if I want to renew it? It seems as if this must be taking place in the back ground.

I think I will keep an eye on it for awhile and post sticky notes with my wep password in convenient locations around the house.

Edit: the true irony is that when I tried to post this last message I was forced to log in again.

Terri
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

We've seen many Macs in general have issues with WEP. Changing the encryption to WPA or preferably WPA2 often takes care of it. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't hold true with iPads also.

Plus, WEP is an old encryption method that can be easily cracked by your 12 year old next door neighbor if he really wants to within a matter of minutes.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

Yes, it happens automatically and no user interaction is needed.

As for WEP, I agree with the above. If you have an older router then it might be time to upgrade it.
QUOTE Thanks
goddess_of_go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
Yes, it happens automatically and no user interaction is needed.

As for WEP, I agree with the above. If you have an older router then it might be time to upgrade it.
The router came with the Verizon Fios installation, and I am not good enough with this kind of stuff to know how to install a new one or if it would work with Verizon. Maybe I can find someone local who will be able to help me, or call Verizon.

Thanks

Terri
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

If it came with FIOS then it should be able to do WPA2. I would think that Verizon should be able to walk you through it on the phone.

Good luck and if you need more help you could post up the make and model of the router and we might be able to help you out.
QUOTE Thanks
goddess_of_go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
If it came with FIOS then it should be able to do WPA2. I would think that Verizon should be able to walk you through it on the phone.

Good luck and if you need more help you could post up the make and model of the router and we might be able to help you out.
Thanks. If I decide to change the setting I will talk to Verizon about it. If it can be done they can help me with it, and they are quite helpful with their support, on a par with Apple Care in my opinion.

For the time being I am just going to see what happens. I have a trip coming up soon and I don't want to hassle with it until I get back.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Terri
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Who wants to turn their ipad into a netbook? | I gave iPad a chance.... »