New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

3g limited plan...run out yet?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lokerd

lokerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone, g4 PowerBook, ipad

Anybody planned to have stuck with just the $15 plan...or did you go ahead and get the $30 plan for this month at least? If you tried the $15 plan, have you run out yet? How much is 250mb in real usage? Like say for shopping Amazon, or browsing these forums here? Anyway to monitor how big a page is...before downloading it via 3g?

And finally, if you do the $15 plan, and you are out of your data for the month, will you still have the extra wifi hotspots available?

Probably going to end up on the $30 plan most months...but do really like the option for only do $15 at first. Or wait...if you are on the $15 plan...and you are in the middle of the month...and run out...do you pay $15 more to convert to the $30 plan...or do you have to then pay the $30 and your cycle begins then for the $30 plan???? [Edit: Descriptions seems to indicate the later.]

So many questions about the 3g data plan.

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What? You mean to say they actually have 3G in Beaumont?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
What? You mean to say they actually have 3G in Beaumont?
Ok friend to the North! I sure hope so. This would be my first 3g service. If it isn't reliable here in Beaumont...it sure would be nice to know. Map shows it to be available. But if it isn't then I guess my wifi version will be fine...and I can stop calling the 11 Houston locations I just wrote down to try to drive and get one today.

I actually have two iPhones (wife and I) but no phone service. I have Sprint on my cell phone...and am locked in with a really low monthly fee (less than $75, two phones, unlimited web, etc.). But if the 3g in Beaumont is going to be lame...then maybe I need to rethink my plan!

????
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yeah, I don't know what it'd be like, just razzin' ya.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

JOY!!! Figured as much...especially once I saw you were in Dallas!

I don't know why I have to get one today...like they aren't going get any here in Beaumont this week...I guess just still upset they dist me on Friday...AND most importantly, I want my freedom today...been waiting for years I guess...and I want it to be over!
QUOTE Thanks
tdll1313

tdll1313 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore

I opted for the limited data package just because I will spend most of my time on my iPad at home on my wifi. However I was under the impression that if you approached the 250 megabit limit it would prompt you to upgrade to the unlimited plan and charge the difference for the duration of the month "$15" So if you had 1 week or 1 day left in the month it would still cost 15 but not start your bill cycle over. Am I off this?
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdll1313 View Post
So if you had 1 week or 1 day left in the month it would still cost 15 but not start your bill cycle over. Am I off this?
Hmmm...well, the description has CHANGED twice on the Apple site for sure. 3 weeks ago it was vague. Last week it was specific. This week it is back to vague.

Actually, I must be reading different pages slightly...because here is what it says right now:

"If you choose the 250MB plan, you’ll receive onscreen messages as you get close to your monthly data limit so you can decide whether to turn off 3G or upgrade to the unlimited plan."

Two days ago...it did not NOT mention the "turn off 3g"...but it did last week. I must be landing on a slightly didn't page with different descriptions of what happens at the end of the 250mb.
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokerd View Post
Anybody planned to have stuck with just the $15 plan...or did you go ahead and get the $30 plan for this month at least? If you tried the $15 plan, have you run out yet? How much is 250mb in real usage? Like say for shopping Amazon, or browsing these forums here? Anyway to monitor how big a page is...before downloading it via 3g?

And finally, if you do the $15 plan, and you are out of your data for the month, will you still have the extra wifi hotspots available?

Probably going to end up on the $30 plan most months...but do really like the option for only do $15 at first. Or wait...if you are on the $15 plan...and you are in the middle of the month...and run out...do you pay $15 more to convert to the $30 plan...or do you have to then pay the $30 and your cycle begins then for the $30 plan???? [Edit: Descriptions seems to indicate the later.]

So many questions about the 3g data plan.

Thanks!!
Do you men that if you have the 3G you can use AT&T free hotspots too?
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
Well, I am pretty new to this...not having any ATT service at all...and having never gotten on at a Starbucks...so I am trying to figure all this out also.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Here is a very nice article explaining in human terms (and not MB's) what the $15 plan can get you and what the cost for 1 year is. It's a good read.

Which Apple iPad 3G Plan Is Right For You? | PCMag.com
QUOTE Thanks
JeffMorse

JeffMorse is on a distinguished road

I remember reading a few months ago that AT&T was struggling with the bandwidth the iphones were using, so it's no surprise to me that they're going to have issues with ipads too.

I remember New York being mentioned as having a particularly difficult time with the network.
QUOTE Thanks
tenashus1

tenashus1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
Yes, it's true. Apple rep confirmed for me at the store.
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenashus1 View Post
Yes, it's true. Apple rep confirmed for me at the store.
Well I wish they would let people who have iPhones and a wifi only iPad use Starbucks wifi as well. How much more do I have to spend to get something in return? Lol
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I signed up for the $14.99 plan as a test. Have used 18MB so far, so for daily use on 3G you would need the unlimited plan. My current rate of usage means about a week on the road would burn through 250MBs.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Just checked and I am up to 31MB usage. So somewhere between a week and 2 weeks is all I would get out of 250MB.
Planning on a trip to Lubbock mid month, may have to add to the plan or limit my use away from home till then.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So how does the wifi iPad know its location? | Anyone wishing they'd gotten a Netbook? »