New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad keyboard arrow key??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lokerd

lokerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone, g4 PowerBook, ipad

I am relatively new to iPhone/iPad...but not to Mac including a long history with newtons.

I don't understand why there aren't some basic items like arrow keys...and a forward delete. One thing i loved about the newton was how it could be tweaked. I am not suggesting anything unethical or against apple here...because there isn't even an option outside of apple. Iow, why can't the keyboard be easily modified? By anybody?

I find typing very easy on the iPad...but mistakes are made...and trying to correct those mistakes could be SOOOOOOO much easier with three little keys...arrow left, right and forward delete?????
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I agree the lack of arrow keys on the ipad is something I really do not like. But I'm sure there is an easy way to edit your text without them I guess.
QUOTE Thanks
Bremen Cole

Bremen Cole will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PC Baby!

The lack of arrow keys is my biggest problem with input on the iPad. Instead of two huge ".?123" buttons, one of those could be turned into a set of small arrow keys....

Bremen Cole
iPad 1st Gen 16G WIFI
Music = http://www.bremencole.com
Bike Journal = http://www.bikejournal.com/journal_p...ame=BremenCole
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I would imaging that something like the addition of arrow keys could be implemented on a future update, which I would REALLY want…though I'm not sure if it is really that necessary when your finger is already so close to the screen area you would want the arrow to move to. The next button advances the cursor to the next button, so I'm not exactly sure how much side-to-side movement it would help, but I can see how moving up and down could greatly be improved by up and down keys.
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

same issue with the iphone 4.0 software no arrow use
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
side-to-side movement it would help, but I can see how moving up and down could greatly be improved by up and down keys.
See...this is why I think apple doesn't give us arrow keys...they don't see the need. But I don't see how they couldnt.

Like, I want to edit the word couldn't in the previous sentence. Because it is at the end of the sentence, however incorrect it is, I couldn't get the ' to go automatically. Hold the finger to bring up the magnifier is ok...but invariably about 40% of the time it lands a letter two off..such that a simple arrow key,..or a forward delete when I wanted it at the end of the word to backup..but the cursor lands in the wrong place. And I end up having to frequently delete and retype when an arrow key would solve a heck of a lot of problems.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try editing a long post in the message box here and you'll really find the need for arrow keys. This to me is a big issue and the lack is extremely short-sighted.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Try editing a long post in the message box here and you'll really find the need for arrow keys. This to me is a big issue and the lack is extremely short-sighted.
I have! I can't imagine how having arrow keys would make the job quicker or more easier, when you can already just point to where you to the cursor to be, or what you want to edit. What's funny is that before the ipad or other touch screen computers came out, I would always wished I could just point with my finger wherever ever I wanted to change something…just like how it is now when you edit/write something on the ipad.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
I have! I can't imagine how having arrow keys would make the job quicker or more easier, when you can already just point to where you to the cursor to be, or what you want to edit. What's funny is that before the ipad or other touch screen computers came out, I would always wished I could just point with my finger wherever ever I wanted to change something…just like how it is now when you edit/write something on the ipad.

That's just it. You can't just point to where you want the cursor if the post is longer than the height of the message box. The message box is not resizable on the iPad as it is in OS X. So, if the beginnning or end of your post is not inside the message box, there is no "just point".

You have to bring up the magnifier, move it to the top or bottom edge of the message box and then sit there and wait as it slowly crawls to the point you want to edit. Or you can two finger tap and scroll in the box - very hard to do even once you've learned how.

Try a copy and paste of a whole page of text from another document into the message box. You'll now be at the end of the text. Just try getting back to the first line to edit it. Or just try going in and editing your post above. Copy and paste that paragraph into it 5 times. Now try scrolling back up to the first paragraph.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
I have! I can't imagine how having arrow keys would make the job quicker or more easier, when you can already just point to where you to the cursor to be, or what you want to edit.
No disrespect, really, but I to wonder how much you have been typing on the iPad. Perhaps you are a perfect typist and a) don't make mistakes and b) have perfect spelling. I am a bad speller...and tend to make a lot of mistakes or change my mind about word choices, etc.

In the past 3 weeks, I have used the iPad almost exclusively, writing all emails, forum postings (except this post), letters of recommendations, note taking and transcribing, entering grades...point is...lots of stuff. Sometimes, pointing where you want the cursor to go hits the right spot. But, sometimes it doesn't. And when it doesn't, trying to get the cursor over one letter is a PITA. In fact, it usually proves to be faster to relocate the cursor to a completely different place and trying again at the desired place.

Clicking, pulling up the magnifier, and sliding into the right place usually does a pretty good job of intercepting a light shift on removal and still locks the cursor where you intended. The problem is that it usually locks it at the beginning of the word. So, if you were trying to put the cursor at a different place than it THINKS you should want, it chokes on you and keeps putting the cursor where it thinks you should want it.

Here is an example. I am having a bad habit when typing in portrait mode of not successfully hitting the space bar such that I get a lot of words that are run together. iPad does a pretty good job of separating two words that are accidentally stuck together...but fails (like other programs) if you run three or more words together. I have looked up to find 4-5 words all stuck together. Strangely, doesn't happen as often when in landscape mode even when given the same angle of hands-to-screen. Anyway, trying to place the cursor in a combined word is a real PITA because iPad's intuition goes to STHI.

OTH, maybe it is just me...but fortunately, at least a couple of other people have chimed in agreement. Personally, I don't understand why Apple hasn't fixed such a glaring oversight. And, more importantly, why NOBODY has made an APP FOR THIS!!!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokerd View Post
No disrespect, really, but I to wonder how much you have been typing on the iPad. Perhaps you are a perfect typist and a) don't make mistakes and b) have perfect spelling. I am a bad speller...and tend to make a lot of mistakes or change my mind about word choices, etc.

In the past 3 weeks, I have used the iPad almost exclusively, writing all emails, forum postings (except this post), letters of recommendations, note taking and transcribing, entering grades...point is...lots of stuff. Sometimes, pointing where you want the cursor to go hits the right spot. But, sometimes it doesn't. And when it doesn't, trying to get the cursor over one letter is a PITA. In fact, it usually proves to be faster to relocate the cursor to a completely different place and trying again at the desired place.

Clicking, pulling up the magnifier, and sliding into the right place usually does a pretty good job of intercepting a light shift on removal and still locks the cursor where you intended. The problem is that it usually locks it at the beginning of the word. So, if you were trying to put the cursor at a different place than it THINKS you should want, it chokes on you and keeps putting the cursor where it thinks you should want it.

Here is an example. I am having a bad habit when typing in portrait mode of not successfully hitting the space bar such that I get a lot of words that are run together. iPad does a pretty good job of separating two words that are accidentally stuck together...but fails (like other programs) if you run three or more words together. I have looked up to find 4-5 words all stuck together. Strangely, doesn't happen as often when in landscape mode even when given the same angle of hands-to-screen. Anyway, trying to place the cursor in a combined word is a real PITA because iPad's intuition goes to STHI.

OTH, maybe it is just me...but fortunately, at least a couple of other people have chimed in agreement. Personally, I don't understand why Apple hasn't fixed such a glaring oversight. And, more importantly, why NOBODY has made an APP FOR THIS!!!

Seriously! Do you take the time to read comments on here? The whole first paragraph wouldn't have been needed! I am in agreement with it too!!!

You seem to have a problem hitting keys(as you mention)…how is adding more keys going to help that???? Take your time while typing!
QUOTE Thanks
Bremen Cole

Bremen Cole will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PC Baby!

If you could really just point and the cursor would be where you want, that would be great. But as others have noted, if where you want in the document is off screen, it is a major PITA. There is no doubt that for most people at least, arrow keys would be an improvement.

Bremen Cole
iPad 1st Gen 16G WIFI
Music = http://www.bremencole.com
Bike Journal = http://www.bikejournal.com/journal_p...ame=BremenCole
QUOTE Thanks
tdll1313

tdll1313 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore

For editing words in the screen the magnifying glass works great for me. However, when trying to scroll up and down in the message box when the message feels the screen......what a headache.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I suppose you know about the arrow keys on the keyboard dock?

The fact that Apple included them (and made them work with modifier keys as expected) sort of validates the point that they are very useful to have while typing on a real keyboard - so why not include them on the virtual keyboard as well?

I guess Apple chose to make the rest of the virtual keys as large as possible instead.
QUOTE Thanks
tdll1313

tdll1313 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore

Well I get wanting to make the letter keyboard as big as possible given the limited real-estate but then put the arrows on a secondary keyboard that can be accessed with a single click from the qwerty keyboard.....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Component AV Cable Question | Recommand Your Fav Top Apps! »