New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad and Grad School

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Hello all,

I am contemplating buying an iPad (read: I will be buying an iPad soon ). I am also gonna be going back to school for my Master's Degree (I might even press on and go for my PhD).

Anyone here has been using their iPad for school purposes. I am more interested in using it as a Text Book replacement/sidekick.

How are the faculty handling having the iPad in class. Granted that might vary from one major to the next, I will be in the Electrical Engineering Department. So partially I guess laptops are usually fine since there will be a lot of coding involved (not necessarily while you are in class).

Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

I have written 2 reports(8 pages each), and take notes constantly with it…all while listening to music(as long as it's not just a speech lecture)! It works pretty dang well considering it's smaller than a notepad and saves me from bringing my mbp.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough

2 reports at 8 pages each on the iPad's virtual keyboard? or do you have BT Keyboard?

Either way thats pretty comforting to hear.

What about books? Text Books that is :-P
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Though I do have the BT keyboard, I was actually at my schools library(need reference books for paper) so I didn't have the keyboard with me. I just turned it on landscape mode and typed away! You will be surprised how fast you can type on it after you get used to it. As for books, my liberian actually noticed me working on my ipad and stopped by to take a look at it. She said that there is so much stress on book publishers to write their books in digital formats that they believe the whole US's school systems will have a new standard of digital books/ebooks within 5 years.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

Thats great!

I finally got to play one at the Apple Store last weekend and I loved it. The Virtual KB is pretty impressively big, but I felt like there will be a bit of a learning curve, which I guess is expected.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Free cleaning kit for the iPad! | Funny way to print from an ipad »