New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Quick iPad 3G Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DarkestSoul X21

DarkestSoul X21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.06 Intel Duo 500GB HDD 4 GB RAM 9400M

Ok, I checked AT&T's 3G coverage area and my are is not covered by 3G but by Partner Edge, I'm wondering by getting a iPad 3G, can I still use the 3G in my area? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Tactical Apple

Tactical Apple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone 3GS

If your general area doesnt have any 3G Coverage. How would you get 3G Service?
In short, No, you will most likely not get it. However if you live close to a area that does offer 3G you will have it on your iPad BUT it would be very slow, and i can imagine you losing the 3G from time to time. Save money and go for the Wi-Fi
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestSoul X21

Ok, just wondering. Guess I won't be getting an iPad than.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Keep in mind that the iPad is also capable of using the EDGE network. Now I don't know where you live, so I can't say for certain that you won't get 3G service, but I can practically guarantee that you'll get EDGE

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

What is EDGE? and how does it work?

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

EDGE

It's essentially 2.5G, so it's slower than 3G, but AT&T poured a lot of money into upgrading its EDGE network after the first iPhone came out, so it's not ridiculously slow. Great for web browsing, email, shorter Youtube videos, and instant message; not so great for downloading movies/TV shows or streaming Youtube in HD

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

One problem with the "partner EDGE," though. AT&T's website has a blurb on there about excessive use of partner EDGE can result in restriction of partner EDGE use. Which I take to mean that they don't intend for it to be your main data connection, just for now an again when you're in those areas.
QUOTE Thanks
Tactical Apple

Personaly though, i wouldnt get the 3G version if your gonna be stuck on EDGE.
QUOTE Thanks
Doc750

Doc750 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4

Edge sucks, if you don't have 3G coverage in your area go for wifi only model
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestSoul X21

Well one of my main reasons of me getting a iPad was for 3G, I would personally like a device where i can access the internet anywhere. I have serveral main reasons of getting an iPad, if I can't do anyone of those than I won't get an iPad. If I want to get an iPad Wifi, people have to give me good reasons.
QUOTE Thanks
traylorc

traylorc is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=DarkestSoul X21;1042552] If I want to get an iPad Wifi, people have to give me good reasons.[/QUOTE

If you really need the forum to give you reasons to buy the Wi-fi model...then chances are you don't want to buy it.

Sounds like you had your heart set on a 3g model.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestSoul X21 View Post
Well one of my main reasons of me getting a iPad was for 3G, I would personally like a device where i can access the internet anywhere. I have serveral main reasons of getting an iPad, if I can't do anyone of those than I won't get an iPad. If I want to get an iPad Wifi, people have to give me good reasons.
I upgraded to iPhone from my iPod touch because I wanted to have the iPod Touch functionality when I was out an about. Essentially I live on the Edge (pun intended); I seldom stray into areas that have 3G coverage, and while I notice a speed/performance boost under 3G, I have yet to find an area (I live in Arkansas) where I couldn't get some level of usability from Edge coverage.

Bottomline: If you are planning on 3G only for your connection, I might hesitate. But, if (like me) you want the 3G for out and about, but will depend on Wifi the majority of the time, I would go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Tactical Apple

You live in a area that doesnt have 3G service and you want 3G. So why would you get the 3G Version. Your gonna be paying each month to have EDGE service when you should have 3G. Watse of money IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Simple solution: move to a city.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Apple View Post
You live in a area that doesnt have 3G service and you want 3G. So why would you get the 3G Version. Your gonna be paying each month to have EDGE service when you should have 3G. Watse of money IMO.
3G is just a number and a letter.

What I am paying for is internet, mail and data connectivity when I am away from my Wifi network. Faster is better, but often something is far better than nothing at all. Having lived with my iPod Touch (which I loved) having Edge is far better than not having it at all, though 3G would be nice.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad and the forum Message box | Reading on the iPad..for real! »