New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Reading on the iPad..for real!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

I've read several times that reading with iBooks or other reading application is not that pleasant. Anyone could give some feedback on their own experience reading books on the iPad?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Here's my question: do you read things on your monitor?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Here's my question: do you read things on your monitor?
Brilliant Kash...Brilliant!!!

You must have had a Red Bull today!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Bremen Cole

Bremen Cole will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PC Baby!

iPad reads great. Many people like me have sold there Sony, Kindle .... Readers because the iPad is better for them. There are some people who like the dull eInk display of current readers, but many prefer the iPad....

Also on the ipad you are not limited by format. I can read ePubs (iBooks, Kobo reader) or PDF (Goodreader) Kindle (Kindle app) Fictionwise or eReader.com (ereader app) all on the iPad. The others are restrictive.

Bremen Cole
iPad 1st Gen 16G WIFI
Music = http://www.bremencole.com
Bike Journal = http://www.bikejournal.com/journal_p...ame=BremenCole
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Personally, i seriously doubt that most of the ones writing those articles have used the iPad, as in more than what was required for the review they wrote. I doubt most of them even own one of the e-ink readers either. What you're seeing is the reiteration of one of the reasons behind the advent of e-ink technology. In most cases a poor reiteration because they don't have a clue and are just re-stating what they saw as one of the cons in one of the other reviews they read before writing their own.

The primary issue for most folks is that they have never learned how to use the brightness level on their computer monitors to adjust for existing lighting conditions and their own light sensitivity.

I have never met anyone as light sensitive as I am. Just asked the wife, says she hasn't either. I am probably one of the few that have never lost a pair of sun glasses, at least not during the daytime... because I am unable to get 2 feet outside the door. Quite literally, I cannot see moving from one lighting condition to another.

This is drastically more important reading text on a screen than it is with watching video. Just think about it, staring at a white lit up screen really isn't much different than looking at a lit light bulb. Between staring at Excel spreadsheets all day at work, plus my home computing habits... imho, if I can learn how to adjust brightness levels, which I do multiple times a day, then anyone else can also.

People are going to be subject to eyestrain, whether it's from staring at a computer monitor, a musician staring at sheet music, or reading a regular old printed book for hours during the day.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Drjones

Drjones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Personally, i seriously doubt that most of the ones writing those articles have used the iPad, as in more than what was required for the review they wrote. I doubt most of them even own one of the e-ink readers either. What you're seeing is the reiteration of one of the reasons behind the advent of e-ink technology. In most cases a poor reiteration because they don't have a clue and are just re-stating what they saw as one of the cons in one of the other reviews they read before writing their own.

The primary issue for most folks is that they have never learned how to use the brightness level on their computer monitors to adjust for existing lighting conditions and their own light sensitivity.

People are going to be subject to eyestrain, whether it's from staring at a computer monitor, a musician staring at sheet music, or reading a regular old printed book for hours during the day.

I agree completely with what you said. Heck, the ONLY time I notice eyestrain/fatigue is when my monitor is too DIM! Reading on the iPad will be just as nice as reading on my iPhone, and BETTER than reading on any of my computers because I'll be able to hold it just like a book or magazine.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Well, I have noticed a difference. I can read longer on the nook than I can on my laptop without taking a break. Also, it is a lot easier to read on the nook out at the beach then with the laptop. In fact, using the IPad outside with the sunlight was hard to see and the Nook was a breeze. There are ups and downs for both but I plan on buying another Nook for us and avoiding the IPad for now. I want something that can be used as a reader outdoors.
QUOTE Thanks
Drjones

Drjones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
Well, I have noticed a difference. I can read longer on the nook than I can on my laptop without taking a break. Also, it is a lot easier to read on the nook out at the beach then with the laptop. In fact, using the IPad outside with the sunlight was hard to see and the Nook was a breeze. There are ups and downs for both but I plan on buying another Nook for us and avoiding the IPad for now. I want something that can be used as a reader outdoors.

I'll bet what's making the bigger difference in your comfort between the nook & laptop are the drastic ergonomic differences of the two devices.

I rarely read more than a few paragraphs on any of my computers (unless I absolutely have to) but will spend an hour on my iPhone without even thinking about it. I'll bet the iPad will be even more fun to read on.

April 30 can't come soon enough!
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

Nope, I like to read at the beach and you can't read on the Iphone or the IPad. I have tried both...

Just not good for me.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
You're definitely correct about trying to read out in full sunshine that a kindle or nook would be better. However, since putting the anti-glare screen on my iPad, the only issue now is with the sun shining directly on it. Even with just a slight angle it is now readable, and with the screen in my own shadow or sitting in the shade, feel it's every bit as good as our kindle.

For those wanting a device strictly for reading text, I would also recommend saving the difference in price and go with one of the ereaders on the market. Well, unless your reading is done primarily in dark or poorly lit rooms, then the iPad wins hands down.

There is also something to be said for a 7 day battery.

They each have their place within the niche.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
twodarhythm

twodarhythm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla

I have a sony reader that is great, and I read books on my iphone. (havent recieved my ipad yet) So I have experience with both types of screens. Yes, the sony reader looks more like an actual piece of paper but I LOVE reading on my iphone. I have spent hours reading on it with stanza. iBook is one of the main reasons that I am getting an ipad and im sure i will use it more than any other app. So personally, i have never gotten eye strain or fatigue reading on my iphone.

I love to jump out of perfectly good airplanes!
QUOTE Thanks
Ryne

Ryne is on a distinguished road

I was skeptical of the iPad's usefulness as an eReader. I was wrong.

It is extremely pleasing, and easily customizable for particular needs. As mentioned, brightness can have a great effect on comfort, and the iPad makes dialing in a sweet spot quite simple. As the selection of titles increases I can imagine this device easily overtaking the Kindle.

I'm a relatively new convert to Apple products (iPhone and now iPad), and am glad I made the leap.

My Short Fiction At Dark & Darker

Follow Me On Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
JohnLynch

JohnLynch is on a distinguished road

I know people who have tried to use an LCD-screen device to read books on and have had a problem with it. A genuine problem. That said I have read on an LCD screen in the past as my primary method of reading books, and I didn't have any issues with getting headaches or blurry vision or anything.

If you sit at your computer screen for hours on end and read for the majority of that time, then that should be a good indicator of whether or not you would like an iPad as an ebook reader.
QUOTE Thanks
tenashus1

tenashus1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7

Have a look at this:

iPad has 'changed' 99-year-old woman's life | The Digital Home - CNET News

If this young lady can do it, I hope that we can too.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

I'm not saying that you can't read on it. I just couldn't easily read on it out in the sun where I like to read. E-ink works better for this...

I'll stick to my e-reader for now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick iPad 3G Question | How many ipads have been sold? »