Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location
    *Brisvegas*
    Posts
    5,658
    Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Man had his ipad stolen and finger ripped off his hand
    Man had his ipad stolen and finger ripped off his hand
    Thieves Take Man's Finger With His IPad - Technology News Story - WJAC Johnstown

    A pair of crooked thieves snatched a Colorado man's iPad - along with his pinky.

    Former New Jersey resident Bill Jordan had picked up the highly sought after Apple gadget for a co-worker when the incident occurred last week, CBS4 in Denver reported.

    The 59-year-old had left the Apple store at the Cherry Creek Mall when, according to surveillance video, he was followed by two young men. As he approached the parking lot, he felt a tug on his arm.

    "[The man] was almost sitting on the ground he was pulling so hard and it was still tied around my fingers," Jordan said.

    "Then finally he gave it one big jerk, and that's when he stripped the skin off my pinky," he said.

    The skin and tendons were ripped away from the small finger on his left hand. The damage was so severe, a hand surgeon told the Aurora, Colo., resident his pinky would need to be amputated.

    "It's like a bad dream," Jordan told the local news channel, all for a "simple piece of apparatus that'll be junk in a couple of years."

  2. #2

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,079
    Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Wow! Those are the kind of people that need to be locked up and have their fingers ripped off one by one with pliers!

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location
    *Brisvegas*
    Posts
    5,658
    Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Now now, an eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Sep 04, 2009
    Posts
    562
    Specs:
    32G iPad
    Yea read that this am, lol and the iPad will be a flop lol

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2010
    Posts
    262
    I'm sorry guys but the victim was also stupid to struggle with them. What's the point? I know it's lots of money but see what happened. Wasn't worth his pinky.

  6. #6

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,079
    Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voony View Post
    I'm sorry guys but the victim was also stupid to struggle with them. What's the point? I know it's lots of money but see what happened. Wasn't worth his pinky.
    Stupid for trying to protect something that is his? LOL!!! So, what do you call someone who cant stand up for himself?? A wuss!!

  7. #7

    dan828's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2005
    Location
    Ceres, Ca
    Posts
    670
    Specs:
    iPad 32 GB 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Voony View Post
    I'm sorry guys but the victim was also stupid to struggle with them. What's the point? I know it's lots of money but see what happened. Wasn't worth his pinky.
    Sounds like he just had the string wrapped around his hand. Ultimately, the injury done to the guy is the fault of the criminals regardless of whether or not he fought back. Buy doing what they did, they are responsible for creating an inherently dangerous situation, and any injury that happened in the situation they created, is their fault.

    But seriously, I don't get your mentality.... just give in to the criminals to protect yourself? Not hardly...criminals definitely go for the people that they think won't fight back, which is why they waited and attacked on old guy. Being classified as someone who won't fight back makes you a **** of a lot more likely to be assaulted/robbed then someone who's not.

    At this point, they're not only on the hook for felony theft, but assault with grievous bodily harm. Hope they catch the guys and throw them in jail for a long time.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    Tampa , FL
    Posts
    1,957
    Specs:
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    Should have had a concealed weapons permit. The thief would have been staring down the barrel of a Glock.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2010
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by dan828 View Post
    Sounds like he just had the string wrapped around his hand. Ultimately, the injury done to the guy is the fault of the criminals regardless of whether or not he fought back. Buy doing what they did, they are responsible for creating an inherently dangerous situation, and any injury that happened in the situation they created, is their fault.

    But seriously, I don't get your mentality.... just give in to the criminals to protect yourself? Not hardly...criminals definitely go for the people that they think won't fight back, which is why they waited and attacked on old guy. Being classified as someone who won't fight back makes you a **** of a lot more likely to be assaulted/robbed then someone who's not.

    At this point, they're not only on the hook for felony theft, but assault with grievous bodily harm. Hope they catch the guys and throw them in jail for a long time.
    I've got mugged before, and when I tried to struggle the other guys (they always outnumber you anyways) just got even more aggressive and started to pull up knives and other stuff like that. Come on, it's a gadget, I won't risk my life or even my pinky for a gadget. It's not worth it.

    And yes I would give in to criminals for an iPad, or a bike, or a car. These are just objects. Now, if they would attack a friend/significant other/relative, that would be a total different story.

    They just wanted the iPad! I know you guys LOVE it but come on...

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    Tampa , FL
    Posts
    1,957
    Specs:
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    Quote Originally Posted by Voony View Post
    I've got mugged before, and when I tried to struggle the other guys (they always outnumber you anyways) just got even more aggressive and started to pull up knives and other stuff like that. Come on, it's a gadget, I won't risk my life or even my pinky for a gadget. It's not worth it.

    Just my 2 cents anyways.

    That's nuts. You can't let people push you around like that... I don't know maybe it's just me, But that's why I carry a loaded hand gun on me at all times.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2010
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
    That's nuts. You can't let people push you around like that... I don't know maybe it's just me, But that's why I carry a loaded hand gun on me at all times.
    I don't carry a gun. And you have to balance between your life and an iPad. Think.

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    Tampa , FL
    Posts
    1,957
    Specs:
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    Quote Originally Posted by Voony View Post
    I don't carry a gun. And you have to balance between your life and an iPad. Think.

    I do, The balance is called a gun. To each his own.

  13. #13


    Member Since
    Apr 04, 2010
    Posts
    50
    Specs:
    21.5" iMac 3.06 Intel Duo 500GB HDD 4 GB RAM 9400M
    Quote Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
    I do, The balance is called a gun. To each his own.
    Lol nice.

  14. #14

    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,202
    Specs:
    -->
    @Voony, Let's go shopping together. You guy in and buy the stuff and you can just come out and give it to me. Seriously, it is human nature to fight back. It doesn't matter to me if it is material or not, the thug is going to get hurt in the process that I can promise. I may lose my item, but he isn't getting away without some damage.

  15. #15

    dan828's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2005
    Location
    Ceres, Ca
    Posts
    670
    Specs:
    iPad 32 GB 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Voony View Post
    I've got mugged before, and when I tried to struggle the other guys (they always outnumber you anyways) just got even more aggressive and started to pull up knives and other stuff like that. Come on, it's a gadget, I won't risk my life or even my pinky for a gadget. It's not worth it.

    And yes I would give in to criminals for an iPad, or a bike, or a car. These are just objects. Now, if they would attack a friend/significant other/relative, that would be a total different story.

    They just wanted the iPad! I know you guys LOVE it but come on...
    Oh well, I guess I can see your point. Thing is, from what I've read, the guy didn't really fight back, he was in the parking lot, punks come up and grab it...his first response is to hold on, they pull harder and when he loses his grip, the string on the bag that he had wrapped around his hand tightened up on his little finger and ripped most of the tissue off.

    His response to what happened?

    "I hope you understand what you've done to my life and my family's life for a simple piece of apparatus that'll be junk in a couple of years."
    It wasn't even his iPad, he was picking it up for a friend. Ultimately, they were trying to do a snatch and run, but the string caught the guys finger, so they basically pulled it off. I don't think he ever consciously chose to fight back, just reacted in an instant before he had time to think. So whatever side you come down on with the fight back/passively accept it, the guy never had a chance to do either. The criminals created a situation that lead to his injury, and it can't be blamed on anyone else.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Can an ipad screen be scratched by finger nails?
    By foxh0und in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-30-2013, 09:24 PM
  2. Stolen Ipad
    By 13579eve in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 02:40 AM
  3. Do you give the iPad the middle finger?
    By farmdreads in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •