New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Apple Care?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DarkestSoul X21

DarkestSoul X21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.06 Intel Duo 500GB HDD 4 GB RAM 9400M

Hey everyone, I'm going to be ordering the iPad 3G 32 GB model and I'm wondering if Apple Care will be worth it or a waste of money.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestSoul X21 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm going to be ordering the iPad 3G 32 GB model and I'm wondering if Apple Care will be worth it or a waste of money.

I don't think it's worth it. If it was a Mac or Macbook Pro that would be different.
QUOTE Thanks
Tagg67

Tagg67 is on a distinguished road

I am kind of on the fence with this one too. I think I am going to wait 6 months or so before I decide if I want to purchase the Apple Care. You have one year of coverage anyway, and you can always buy the Apple Care before it expires.
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

I will pass, even if it's out of warranty Apple has covered items in the past.
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

I got applecare when I ordered my Ipad wifi. I figure after spending 800.00 plus, whats another 100.00.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

I'm going to have to also pass on applecare. I've had many small apple products and have never needed apple care since the first ipod came out. When I did need applecare, it was on my ipod video, which ran out of the extended apple care warranty anyways(battery was gone after 4 years)…ended up fixing it myself for 9 bucks!

The only reason I would have that would make me buy apple care is one thing…peace of mind! Also, wait till the first year on the original warranty is up before you buy it. You might be able so snag one for even cheaper than 100 bucks if you wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Lotus Esprit

Lotus Esprit is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestSoul X21 View Post
I never get these extended warranties on items of this type. The underwriters know that they are only going to have to pay out on 20 to 25% of the claims. In 2 years there will be a better iPad out and you would be better off putting the money for the Apple Care twords that.

Extended Warranties are good for household appliances like washers, dryers, and refrigerators.
QUOTE Thanks
cantus.terroco

cantus.terroco is on a distinguished road

a good thing about buying an applecare support. they are always online to help you out and if your hardware fails? they fixed it first and if they cannot fix it, they will replace it.

example of my mouse on my macpro. they asked me to clean the small roller ball but it did not fix the scroll up issue/trouble. so they've decided to send me a new mouse (same model) for free.

provided that i give them a credit card number. why? they need an assurance if you did not return the mouse in 10 days, they will charge my credit card with 53$.

they use fedex courier by the way.

i may say buying an applecare for 500$ or less is not worth it. it has it's warranty. but for rich kids out there, 100$ is nothing. LOL!

--------------------------
~cantus
QUOTE Thanks
jrichard012

jrichard012 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP and iMac; 2 iPhones 4G; 2 iPADS.

Those of you deciding to pinch pennies to forego Apple Care are misguided. Just wait till your phone accidentally drops and the screen breaks. Except for a few circumstances, the screne replacement will come out of your pocket. Cost of the screne alone is $199. Apple Care has more than paid for itself.
QUOTE Thanks
jshulman10

jshulman10 will become famous soon enough

its use less. short and sweet.
QUOTE Thanks
mexipat

mexipat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichard012 View Post
Those of you deciding to pinch pennies to forego Apple Care are misguided. Just wait till your phone accidentally drops and the screen breaks. Except for a few circumstances, the screne replacement will come out of your pocket. Cost of the screne alone is $199. Apple Care has more than paid for itself.
Different strokes. I've never bought a warranty and think it's misguided to do so.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

With the iPad I would wait to get the AppleCare until close to the 1-year anniversary, then evaluate.

Another option is that some credit card companies will double the warranty of a purchased product. If you can, buy your iPad with one of those, and that gives you two years of coverage without any extra charge.
QUOTE Thanks
Paulie420

Paulie420 is on a distinguished road

Links allowed? Here's a great article on TUAW about AppleCare.

In one instance, it wouldn't have paid off for the author. However, on his other Apple purchase, Applecare paid for itself--- and the Applecare for the first, well behaved product.

AppleCare without Apple stores... still worth it

Myself, I'll be waiting for the first year coverage to run out before purchasing... I may or may not get it... Hmmmmm.

Paulie420

Apple iPhone 3G, Apple iPhone 3GS, Apple iPad Wifi, Apple iMac
QUOTE Thanks
cantus.terroco

cantus.terroco is on a distinguished road

for me? NOT worth it ...

--------------------------
~cantus
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Extended warranties are a gamble... simple as that. No company offers extended warranties out of the goodness of their hearts... they do it because they know they will bring in more money than what they pay out overall. Yes... sometimes an extended warranty will pay off. So will a lottery ticket. In the long run, you will spend more money on extended warranties if you pay it on everything than you will get back out of them. You can hedge that a bit if you are a "smart gambler" by evaluating the odds on any given device and its warranty option. Me... I've never bought an extended warranty on an Apple device, and have never had an occasion to need one.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad 3G data plan question | Is it right/worth it for me? »