New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

3gs Ipad on other carries

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fmeclarke

fmeclarke is on a distinguished road

Hi
Does anyone know if the 3gs from the US is going to work anywhere. I want to order one from the US and bring it to Canada and run it on rogers when they have their data plan. I take it because there is no contract that the IPAD is unlocked and available to any network?
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmeclarke View Post
Hi
Does anyone know if the 3gs from the US is going to work anywhere. I want to order one from the US and bring it to Canada and run it on rogers when they have their data plan. I take it because there is no contract that the IPAD is unlocked and available to any network?

I would guess it will be locked to At&t. I'm sure it will easily be unlocked soon after it's released.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

bargsbeer is incorrect on this one. As stated in the product introduction keynote, the iPad is sold UNLOCKED and will work with any carrier that supports their 3G frequencies (see tech specs page for more about this) **AND** (this is the key part) the micro-SIM format the iPad uses.

The SIM is "locked" I guess you could say to AT&T, but (in theory) you would bring it to Canada, get Rogers (perhaps) to sell you a compatible Micro-SIM, then pop it in the iPad and it would work.

The problem with your plan is threefold:

1. None of the carriers have yet announced support for the iPad's Micro-SIM. Regular SIM cards (even AT&T ones) won't work.

2. None of the carriers have adopted the "PAYGO" data model AT&T has, and no your AT&T data plan won't work (unless you're REALLY REALLY close to the US border and can pick up US cell signal).

3. No announcement from any of the carriers about which of them, if any, will support the iPad (though Rogers is a pretty safe bet), when they'll have Micro-SIMs, what their rules for support will be, and most importantly PRICING.

If I were you I'd wait a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
fmeclarke

fmeclarke is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input. Rogers will be offering a similar deal to At and T so I am alright. I also have my US account so I can get apps etc. That is also good becasue if i stay extended in the US which I do sometimes i can buy time on the AT and T network also.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
bargsbeer is incorrect on this one.

I stand corrected.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tether blackberry for web access? | iPad Storage »