New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

How is the IPad Not just a larger Ipod Touch?

Thread Closed

NMLobo

NMLobo is an unknown at this point

So I went to best buy yesterday and played with the Ipad. What a beautiful screen. But I just could not come up with a good reason to buy the thing. It really doesn't do anything that my iphone doesn't already do (and my iphone DOES do some things the ipad can't, I think-gps). So what I felt I would be paying for is a very nice display in exchange for a lot more money and less portability. I could see this thing being useful in very limited situations such as air travel and long trips (neither of which I do very often). I hate to say it, but I may be in the market for a *GASP* netbook...
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

And once more I ask, what is wrong with a larger iPod touch? A bigger screen is a huge asset for surfing the web, reading email, reading books, etc etc etc.

The touch-screen interface also works more smoothly in this iteration.
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I'm sorry..but do we really need ANOTHER thread hashing out the same thing with the iPad?

Think of it what you will..there are many who would like the larger screen for a general purpose device that can do quite a lot..and if you have the cash to buy it, do it..

There's very little value is debating whether the iPad is a larger iPhone/iPod Touch or something entirely unique unto itself..

Regards
Ccab

Ccab is on a distinguished road

First of all..the iPad does have GPS and id like you to create a powerpoint presentation or type up a report on your iPod Touch. The screen is also bigger, the display is beautiful, almost a full screen keyboard..there are endless reasons for why people with other Apple products to buy one. and in some cases it can replace a macbook..if you dont need the disc drives or worry about usb(and if you already have a desktop computer) the iPad is for you! because its lighter than a laptop and easier to carry around and has more battery life than a macbook.

Macbook Pro 13" 4G RAM
iPhone 3GS 16G
iTouch
COMING SOON! Apple iPad 16G Wifi+3G
NMLobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger roach View Post
And once more I ask, what is wrong with a larger iPod touch? A bigger screen is a huge asset for surfing the web, reading email, reading books, etc etc etc.

The touch-screen interface also works more smoothly in this iteration.
Well the biggest problem is that I can't put it in my pocket. So while the web surfing experience might be better, I'm not likely to be carrying an ipad wherever I go. And if I'm at home I will be watching video on my 42" plasma and doing computer work/surfing on my desktop (22" lcd). So when and where do I use this thing?

Now I do admit the ebook thing is interesting.
Josh_MacMan

Josh_MacMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, iPhone 5, Apple TV

People say that like it's a bad thing. That's what I was saying at first too then I realized what I was saying. It is "like" a large iPod Touch/iPhone but so much better, so much more useful, and a lot faster.

I find it easier, quicker and more fun to grab my iPad when I get home from work and do some quick surfing, and emailing, or play a quick game on my sofa etc etc...than to go to my computer like I normally would. I enjoy using it quite a bit, and I think it still has a lot of potential.
NMLobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccab View Post
First of all..the iPad does have GPS and id like you to create a powerpoint presentation or type up a report on your iPod Touch.

Why in the world would I want to create a power point presentation on an ipad instead of my desktop? It's not often that I happen to find myself out and about and need to do work.

As for GPS, I want to see someone track a trip between two cities on google maps and the Ipad keep a good GPS lock the entire way. I traveled from Albuquerque to Las Vegas last month and my iphone did great as a navigational tool. I'd like to know the ipad has the same capabilities.
NMLobo

I wanted to add: with netbook (or any portable computer with a ...USB PORT...) you can pick up an excellent usb GPS unit for about $35. With the ability to attach hardware, such as this, the iPad would be a much more useful device. But of course then Steve couldn't sell us the iGPS with special dock for $350.
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLobo View Post
I wanted to add: with netbook (or any portable computer with a ...USB PORT...) you can pick up an excellent usb GPS unit for about $35. With the ability to attach hardware, such as this, the iPad would be a much more useful device. But of course then Steve couldn't sell us the iGPS with special dock for $350.
So don't buy one . . .
This sounds sarcastic to me, so I probably shouldn't post it. But this, like every buying decision is the same. If the product meets your needs/desires at a price you're willing to pay, then buy it. If it doesn't then don't.

Just don't expect that every product offering will appeal to you, and there's something wrong with it if it doesn't. We're all different and want different things. For the record I am delighted to be able to buy a Big iPod Touch.
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Seems like you've made a good argument that it's not for you, and that nobody is going to convince you.

Thread Closed

« Week two: Apple stores still finding it tough to keep iPad in stock | How to transfer books to ipad »