New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Thinking of buying an ipad.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I think this review from Gizmodo is a good read when trying to decide on whether or not to get one. A bit lengthy, but good. Basically he points out that you can't really review this device based on it's features alone.

"How and where you'll use the iPad are of the essence"

Apple iPad Review - ipad review - Gizmodo

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
SpinningCompass

Quote:
Not wanting to sound facetious, but truly wanting to know what uses people are making of the ipad beyond gaming. I thinking of getting the 32gb 3G version.
I bought my girlfriend an iPad to put an end to her borrowing of my MBP. It worked! Now she applies for jobs, updates her Facebook, enjoys Youtube, and researches colleges, all with her iPad. Her only complaint is that it won't play movies streamed from the AppleTV.
QUOTE Thanks
WhoMe

WhoMe is on a distinguished road

I was on the fence for a little while. I had friends and family tell me it was silly and that the iPad was not much more than a toy. So I go by my local best buy last night just to look at it again. I had went to look at them once before but they were sold out except for one 64gig. Out of my price range, I was in the market for a 16gig. So I looked into the stock case and there was just one lonely iPad in the case.

I figured owell it's that 64 gig which I can't afford. But I look closer and it is a 16...but the label is funny. It's an open box and instead of being 499 it's marked down to 450! Sold!

The sales rep told me the woman who bought it returned it because she thought it was a "computer" and that she wanted 3G. I know what this is and I dont need 3G. I love this thing..been using it non stop since last night with only the charge it had when I powered it up..still have 25 percent left.

Today everyone I know wants me to bring it over so they can try it. Surprise surprise... Moral of the story. You want it, buy it. You know what this is and you know you want it. If it makes you happy that's all that matters. Some people buy clothes, cars, jewelry, or whatever. We buy and love gadgets...do it!
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I am a sucker for gadgets. I have an iPhone, an iTouch, about 8 other iPods, an iMac, 6 other computers, about 6 netbooks, 6 Palm devices, 9 or 10 other mobile phones, 3 ebook readers, etc.

I resisted the iPhone until the 3G and have not upgraded to a 3GS and I settled for a 20" iMac.

My head tells me either I don't need an iPad or to wait for the Mark II.

My heart tells me to go and buy one as soon as they reach the UK.

Not sure if I will even wait for the 3G although I really do need it to be a 3G model, but I am pretty sure I will be buying one. So I don't need one - so what? We only live once. Make the most of it.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I ordered one of the 3G models as soon as I could. For me the iPad will take over many of the functions I have used Palm PDAs and smart phones to do. I could use an iPhone but I think I will prefer the larger screen since I find most phone screens too small to work with comfortably. I will certainly find web surfing better on the iPad than a phone.

One thing to consider for some people if they will be using it away from home is the kind of net speed you will get. Not sure i will have 3G speed in my area but I don'r have to do a lot of web surfing I need.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
michellekoci

michellekoci is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Sounds so cool. Been doing research on Google and reading posts here. Unfortunately, it is still not available in Australia.

Apple, please please pretty please, make it available here soon
QUOTE Thanks
csixty4

csixty4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenashus1 View Post
Anyway, any creative uses you've made with the ipad so far would help in justifying a purchase. I know that sounds funny - buying something I don't really need, but I'm open to it anyway.
The other night I was trying to "debug" the faucet in our downstairs bathroom (no hot water). I pulled up repair instructions on the iPad and laid it on the vanity while I worked.

I can see myself building up a library of repair manuals this way. It was really handy.

2006 MacBook 2GHz Core Duo + MacMini 1.8GHz Core2Duo (HTPC)
iPad, iPhone 2.5G
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I am thinking the same thing. I have a bunch of manuals for myself and my parents. They currently reside on my MB Pro but I am planning to transfer them to the iPad. They don't have net access at their place so the 3G ability of the iPad is nice though I am stuck at edge speed.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
spad

spad is on a distinguished road

Mine doesn't replace my desktop or laptop for creative work, but I do take it with me just about everywhere. It lets me check stuff on the internet as well as email wherever I am. Ok, those are the obvious things, but it's a heck of a lot easier to carry an iPad than a laptop, and my eyes aren't good enough to make much use from an iPhone or Blackberry sized screen.

If I'm off on a trip, I don't take my laptop anymore. My iPad does everything I need for a couple of days. Plus, it's a great entertainment distraction when I'm waiting in lines or sitting in an airplane.

I've gotten where I watch more stuff on it than I do on TV now. Maybe I don't need that 60" HD TV after all.
QUOTE Thanks
spad

spad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
I am a sucker for gadgets. I have an iPhone, an iTouch, about 8 other iPods, an iMac, 6 other computers, about 6 netbooks, 6 Palm devices, 9 or 10 other mobile phones, 3 ebook readers, etc.

You got me counting. At home I have 3 desktop computers, two laptops, two iPads, and two Kindles. And that's not counting the dead hulks of computers in the basement.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Solid Gold iPad | How long did it take you to receive your iPad 3g or iPad wifi version? »