New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

VNC - remote desktop work in action on the ipad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

VNC - remote desktop work in action on the ipad
Big Blue :: iPad for a monoceros

This is a personal recount with nice pictures of the ipad in action doing VNC/SSH work for someone. And it seems access the windows desktop remotely this way really worked for him. The author of this blog/account was really happy with the ipad's ability to do this.

So anyone who needs to do this type of work on the run (and yes even I know a few people like this), you should look at the ipad. As if you only have basic tasks to do on a remote desktop the ipad could just be the ticket you need. Instead of a bulkier laotop.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

running a virtual desktop on the iPad, to me, is a game changer. The iPad is nice toy for entertainment and checking email/surfing without the bother of a laptop, but to me it's a pretty expensive toy. Hard to justify that expense without some practical application - some "oomph."

Accessing a virtual desktop makes the iPad the ultimate thin client, and for business people on the road suddenly makes this a must have device. Instant on/off, ability to access all your company's programs, plus do all the "normal" iPad things. You still wouldn't really do any heavy lifting work (drafting long documents), but many folks don't do that on the road anyway. And, if you bring along your Apple wireless keyboard, you could pretty easily do the heavy lifting if you wanted to.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I am using the iPad/iPhone with LogMeIn Ignition and it is pretty dang sweet. Really looking forward to not having to break out the MBP just to click restart on my Windoze boxes.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
I am using the iPad/iPhone with LogMeIn Ignition and it is pretty dang sweet. Really looking forward to not having to break out the MBP just to click restart on my Windoze boxes.
Do you have multiple user accounts on your system? If so, how does Logmein handle the log in?
Do you have to leave your machine up and logged into the account you want to access remotely?
QUOTE Thanks
JeffMorse

JeffMorse is on a distinguished road

Based on the link above I picked up WinAdmin RDP and can't recommend it more. It's fantastic.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnLynch

JohnLynch is on a distinguished road

Wait a minute. Remote desktop work using the iPad as your interface/monitor?

Does this mean that any executable I want to run on the iPad, could instead be run on a windows machine that then sends the data to the iPad? Would this be a way to get around the lack of Flash?

If I could visit this website via my iPad, it would be pretty darn close to perfect. That's all I'd need to do to make the iPad from an amazing device to an absolute dream.

(Yes, I'm aware of the ability to buy Marvel comics. But with a 7th of the library at $2 per comic, I'd rather do without).

If anyone can suggest any ways to make my computer setup optimal (without buying a Mac) for using the iPad as a remote desktop, I'd be pretty open to them. Obviously I'd only consider this when on my local WiFi network to help cutdown on lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMorse View Post
Based on the link above I picked up WinAdmin RDP and can't recommend it more. It's fantastic.
If anyone's interested in some testing for me, I'd absolutely love it if you could try to load up the comic on this page (its free) remotely on your iPad and posted a review.

Only 13 more days until I can get the iPad if I'm lucky
QUOTE Thanks
cmwilkerson

cmwilkerson is on a distinguished road

With such a weak processor to run Windows applications, I wonder how viable this really is?

I'd love to be able to run my windows medical programs on an iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwilkerson View Post
With such a weak processor to run Windows applications, I wonder how viable this really is?

I'd love to be able to run my windows medical programs on an iPad.

They are not talking about running these things on an iPad but using a remote desktop software to access another computer.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

I ran the Wyse pocketcloud app on a 64m iPad over the last several days to access my firm's virtual desktop. Very good results. I could run all the Windows MS Office programs (outlook, word, excel, powerpoint, etc) without a hitch. Could not transfer data from the iPad OS to the VDI (for example, tried to get a screen shot [iPad OS info] to an Outlook message in the VDI and could not).

This is just using the iPad as the conduit to run a Windows desktop on a remote server. But it worked well, and turned the iPad into a useful business machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Drjones

Drjones is on a distinguished road

I thought about this exact thing too; using the iPad as a thin client.

I have been using Teamviewer for some time on my PCs and it works beautifully - you can fully control and even remotely reboot and log back into any computer. Its an amazing app!

Their iPhone app is awesome as well, and is supposed to be iPad compatible.

Could any iPad owners try out TeamViewer & let us know how well it works on the iPad?

I'm very likely to get an iPad, but am waiting for the 3G version. It would be perfect for days like today when I'm just so freakin' tired but still need to work - I would *love* to kick back on the couch with my iPad to do emails & internet stuff, maybe occasionally remote into a PC if I had to.....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Couple of Questions about The iPad | Did you get Warrenty? »