New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Apple - ipad Battery Replacement Service

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Apple - Support - Battery Replacement Service - iPad

According to this:

Quote:
If your iPad requires service due to the battery’s diminished ability to hold an electrical charge, Apple will replace your iPad for a service fee.
Quote:
How much does it cost?
The service costs $99, plus $6.95 shipping. The total cost is $105.95 per unit.
All fees are in U.S. dollars and are subject to local tax.
So it seems in essence Apple does not replace your battery. It replaces your entire ipad instead. So for in essence your $105 is new battery + new equivelant ipad. And knowing Apple's standards these ipad replacements will be of the best quality.

This is a strange thing to do. I wonder why Apple went this way with the battery repalcements.

"The replacement device will not be the original iPad shipped to Apple, but a refurbished machine sent out soon after the defective one is received."

"although the exterior case of the device will be brand-new, the underlying product will be one that's gone through Apple's fix-it procedures in some capacity"

I have read that from a lot of the places. I wonder if this is true. And I dunno about getting a refurb for 100 instead of the same ipad you own with a new battery. Sure it'll work like a charm but still I think people would like the same ipad they bought.
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

It's true I spoke to apple about this, it is much quicker to send a new iPad the to wait for battery replacement.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

So what about the data - just resync with iTunes?

Wonder what happens with the 3G ones? Different IMEI, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Will the data on my iPad be preserved?
No. You will receive a replacement iPad that will not contain any of your personal data. Before you submit your iPad for service, it is important to sync your iPad with iTunes to back up your contacts, calendars, email account settings, bookmarks, apps, etc. Apple is not responsible for the loss of information when servicing your iPad.
That is Apple's answer to the data.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It should be noted that Apple has designed this battery *not to need replacement in the normal life of the product.*

It uses the same technology as the new sealed batteries of the MacBook Pro and MacBook, and thus SHOULD be good for 2-5 years of routine use. IOW, you're quite likely to buy a future version of the product before needing to replace the battery.

On top of that, let's say your battery started to fail after let's say two years. How many of us are going to have a pristine iPad after two years of daily use? Not many, that's how many. But guess what -- you get a new, pristine iPad for $100 in two years!

Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me ...
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

Wonder if it applies in the UK as well - probably for 100 I suppose.
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

Yea, I am not too worried about how many charges I pit on this iPad I was always carefull with my laptop. 100 bucks I am good with that
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Color Management test for iPad | A Few iPad Questions »