New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

5 Very good reasons not to get a HP Slate (instead of an ipad)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

5 Very good reasons not to get a HP Slate (instead of an ipad)
Apple iPad Will Leave HP Slate in the Dust - PCWorld

And as a summary the 5 reasons are:

1. Windows 7 is NOT a operating system made for touch-based devices. Where as the ipad/iphone OS is.

2. Itís not lighter (or much smaller) than the iPad.

3. Itís not necessarily cheaper than Appleís device.

4. Battery life is half that of the iPad.

5. HP does not have a solid stable of third-party applications for its device.
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

NUMBER 1# is the sole reason for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Bigrahizzle

Bigrahizzle is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm battery life is a big thing for me. Not much fan of Windows based products
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

6. Most likely, it will lock up, a bunch.

7. You will need anti-virus protection.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The trouble with HP is that they seem to have an exceedingly short memory.

Tablet and slate style PCs have been tried so many times before. Each time, they fail because Windows and the applications made to run on standard PCs are simply not designed to run in this formfactor, period. Microsoft tried to rectify this with XP Tablet PC Edition. It could be made to work, but it was kludgy. They tried it again with Tablet PC Edition 2005, and again it failed for the same reason.

Windows 7 has multitouch built-in, but again, it's a general purpose OS running in a formfactor that doesn't suit it. It's a safe bet that it will fail once again.

I'm not going to forgive the iPad its shortcomings, but at least the OS and apps are specifically built to work in that formfactor and ONLY that formfactor. It also has the panache Apple typically applies to its products and a strong base of existing apps. I don't believe it's the kind of paradigm shift that so many pundits have made it out to be, but it certainly will be a very successful product. Windows 7-based tablets are not the answer. What I will be interested to see is the Courier device that Microsoft labs has been working on. If it's anything like the concepts MS has been demoing, THAT will be a huge hit.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
rfe959

rfe959 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2

The only reason I need, "It's a Window's based product".
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfe959 View Post
The only reason I need, "It's a Window's based product".
That too
QUOTE Thanks
big daddy

big daddy is on a distinguished road

Instant on...you can't believe how much of a diff it makes. I've had Paddy (I'm Irish...and yes I've given my iPad a nickname) fornless than a week, and every day I find another reason why I am a genius for having one. BTW...video and Flash are not that big of a deal IF you realize what this device is for. It NOT to replace laptops...but it did replace my iPod...the Kindle I never bought...and is likely to replace MOST of my Blackberry Storm use. All I need now is a MiFi phone and I'm set.

Regards,

Big
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Avenger2SER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz C2D (early 2008)

Doesn't the slate have a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio? This would only make it useful in landscape mode since you wouldn't get a truly useful vertically. They really haven't thought it out at all this time. Oh and also it runs windows etc etc

MacBook Pro 2.4 C2D,4gb,320gb 7.2k,10.6 (Primary)
iMac G3 600, iBook G3 500, PBook G3 233, Atom WHS
16gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPhone 3Gs, TV1+2, iPad 32gb
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger-63 View Post
6. Most likely, it will lock up, a bunch.
Welcome to 2010. You must not have used a windows device in the last 10 years or so. MS has really cleaned up their act. You can like Apple products
without unnecessarily bashing MS.

Frankly, I think the big competition is going to come from android based devices later this year. A tablet running a full version OS is going to be for a different demographic, imo.
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
The trouble with HP is that they seem to have an exceedingly short memory.

Tablet and slate style PCs have been tried so many times before. Each time, they fail because Windows and the applications made to run on standard PCs are simply not designed to run in this formfactor, period. Microsoft tried to rectify this with XP Tablet PC Edition. It could be made to work, but it was kludgy. They tried it again with Tablet PC Edition 2005, and again it failed for the same reason.

Windows 7 has multitouch built-in, but again, it's a general purpose OS running in a formfactor that doesn't suit it. It's a safe bet that it will fail once again.

I'm not going to forgive the iPad its shortcomings, but at least the OS and apps are specifically built to work in that formfactor and ONLY that formfactor. It also has the panache Apple typically applies to its products and a strong base of existing apps. I don't believe it's the kind of paradigm shift that so many pundits have made it out to be, but it certainly will be a very successful product. Windows 7-based tablets are not the answer. What I will be interested to see is the Courier device that Microsoft labs has been working on. If it's anything like the concepts MS has been demoing, THAT will be a huge hit.
Tablets have not particularly "failed", it's just that it's been a niche market. They have been made and are continuing to be made long before the iPad ever came out. I had one in the past, and the tablet enhancements MS introduced where very good and well thought out. But the convertible type (those that are a laptop with a swiveling pen based screen) where the most used-- so when you were using apps that weren't particularly pen friendly, you could switch it around and use it like an ordinary laptop. Also, for not taking and that like, I'd say the the MS OS tablets have the iPad beaten by far. Mine was great for taking notes in class. Onenote is an excellent program.

I think you're wrong to compare the iPad with tablet PCs, because they are made for different markets.
QUOTE Thanks
TheDcommand

TheDcommand is an unknown at this point

OK first off id like you all to look at this.
YouTube - Asus Eee PC running Rome Total War
this shows a netbook with lower specs than the HP Slate running a game smoothly.
HP has done very well in ironing out any touch problems windows 7 might have.
We have more power more ram.
ITS SMALLLER FACT are screen size is smaller in accordance to HDMI so when u plug it in to watch 1080p video say on a flat screen it does not look squashed.
Next of all the 64 gbs version ITS CHEAPER ABOUT $100 less. Also thanks to its SD card support I can get some were short of 200 GBS on space thatís not including USBs n stuff. Ok
And your haven not done your home work but with similar specs to a netbook we all know what software to use and not to use.
Aside from that the battery life is not so much of an issue when I look at the advantages of the HP slate.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Battery life is everything when you talk about a touch product. People want to be able to use their products for a while when on the go. if you don't care about battery life, get a desktop computer.

And
Quote:
And your haven not done your home work but with similar specs to a netbook we all know what software to use and not to use.
Should I be forced to choose what software I use? No. I should be able to use whatever I want. And there should be potions that work on whatever computer I use to do whatever I want to do.

Can I make a powerpoint presentation on the slate?
No.

Can I make an excel spreadsheet with a nice graph and picture on the slate?
No.

Do I have access to an a store with over 100 thousand quality apps, millions of songs, thousands of books, and more on the slate?
No?

So I have to compromise what I want to do if I get a slate. The slate should fit to my lifestyle. I should not have to change myself to fit the slate, which I would have to do if I bought a slate.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Stop feeding the troll people

Seriously though - I honestly don't see what the HP slate is doing that is so different than the years of windows tablet devices we've seen already.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828 View Post
Tablets have not particularly "failed", it's just that it's been a niche market.
A very tiny niche market. So small, that most manufacturers that competed in it have dropped out.

Quote:
They have been made and are continuing to be made long before the iPad ever came out. I had one in the past, and the tablet enhancements MS introduced where very good and well thought out. But the convertible type (those that are a laptop with a swiveling pen based screen) where the most used-- so when you were using apps that weren't particularly pen friendly, you could switch it around and use it like an ordinary laptop. Also, for not taking and that like, I'd say the the MS OS tablets have the iPad beaten by far. Mine was great for taking notes in class. Onenote is an excellent program.
I'm not saying they're completely useless, but they're not exactly compelling either (hence their market penetration, or lack thereof). Heck, I have about 100 Acer and HP convertible tablets that I support and I can't even get my users to use them in tablet mode.

Quote:
I think you're wrong to compare the iPad with tablet PCs, because they are made for different markets.
To me, the HP Slate is just another Tablet PC, and clearly it's targeted squarely at the iPad and vice versa.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipad gps? | whats your ipad charging time? »