New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Wow, it's "better" than an iPad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

You be the judge:

iPad Wi-Fi + 3G - NEW - eBay (item 260581837956 end time May-06-10 21:26:35 PDT)

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Do you think Apple would let someone else use their A4 chip?
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
Do you think Apple would let someone else use their A4 chip?
Um.. it doesn't use an A4 chip. It uses the Atom Processor. 1.6 Ghz to be exact.

And IMO, it looks ugly. However, it kills the iPad in terms of specs in every department except for one, which also just defeats the purpose of even having it:

Quote:
BATTERY LIFE
P88: a measly 1.5 hours
Um... Ok ?

Plus, they make no mention of whether or not it's a touch screen or if you have to use a peripheral device, though I'm assuming the former. I dunno. Either way, It's neither an elegant or desirable solution in this niche market, amongst the myriad ugly and silly tablets.

I'll give the iPad one thing in its favor. It's not trying to be something that it isn't...a laptop replacement. Personally speaking, I find the iPad pointless, but things such as this P88, even more useless than that. I'd rather have a slightly bigger laptop which can do full duties, not a frivolous little toy that only serves to be smaller than you actually need it to be. I mean come on already with these things, is it really hard to carry a 13" laptop ? Are they really so obtrusive ? I don't think so.

It's like those small dogs that silly girls carry in their bags everywhere... ugg.

/rant
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It's better because everyone knows that spec lists always tell the entire story.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
rfe959

rfe959 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2

LMAO! I'm commentless...
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

Fail. Looks like garbage and runs garbage. "1.5 hours" of battery life?? WTF is the point of having that?? That would be like buying a Jetta TDI that only has a 2 gallon gas tank.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

I am good....reaches for my iPad
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

It might have better specs on paper, but I am willing to bet my life and everything I got that the iPad actually can run circles around it…performance wise, and speed related stuff. I've tried many atom notebooks/netbooks….simply put, they suck!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I'm typing this on an iPad, so not the most objective post I am sure. However, less than 2 hours battery, wireless b/g only, runs Windows XP. Sounds like something from 2001 not 2010.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Even if the specs live up to what they way, it's running windows which will never fully utalise the hardware. Plus the A4 if much better than other 1ghz and even slightly faster CPU's. Because it is not a generic CPU that will have code of it that it'll never use like all CPU's do. Everything the ipad can do is coded into the A4 and no extra stuff not used by the ipad.

For that reason alone the ipad is better. And not to mention itunes for apps/games/music/videos/ebooks/educational content. MS just can not compete with itunes. Well it could but I doubt it even wants to.

And the worst thing. The auction is called "ipad" when it is clearly not an ipad. I'm tempted to report the auction to ebay for this reason alone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question for iPad owners. | Sometimes the keyboard doesn't pop up »