New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Question for iPad owners.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Hi all,

I was wondering - how are pdf's handled on the iPad? for example, let's say I get a technical manual that has a copy of the book on CD as a PDF - can one use the iBook bookcase to view/read/etc. that pdf?

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Avenger2SER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz C2D (early 2008)

Not that I can see. You can store the pdf in pictures, but each page will show as an individual image. I'm sure there'll be an app for this shortly (if one doesn't already exist).

MacBook Pro 2.4 C2D,4gb,320gb 7.2k,10.6 (Primary)
iMac G3 600, iBook G3 500, PBook G3 233, Atom WHS
16gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPhone 3Gs, TV1+2, iPad 32gb
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

That's kind of a bummer considering other ereaders allow you to use PDF files in their normal reading capacity, and the book reading function of the iPad does look nice.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The iPad can most definitely open PDFs in Safari, Mail, Dropbox, and other apps that allow you to store/view PDF files. Not sure if iBooks supports PDF files, but you can convert that PDF to the ePub format and it will definitely work with iBooks.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
chrmoody

chrmoody is on a distinguished road

I think the PDF look just fine, now if your talking about editing and making PDFs, thats a whole other story.

But my department always has company emails that include PDF files, and I can view them quite nicely on the iPad, no problems there
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The app GoodReader is the best option I've found so far. The only pdf I've tried importing with Pages, jumbled it up with one of the pre-installed templates and the only way I could figure out how to delete the file was to sync the iPad twice - once to remove Pages and again to put it back on.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Prolanman

Prolanman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad

+1 on the GoodReader app. I was able to transfer one of my Cisco books in PDF format over to it via wiFi and download it from DropBox using th emailed link. The GoodReader app does not change the formatting.

I tried converting it to an epub book and the formatting was not retained. The number of pages went from 1100+ to 3500+.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

iWork can import them, although not perfectly but the best way is to view them from Safari if possible. Upload it to your website if you have one.

Alternatively, attach it to a draft email and save it on your IMAP email server.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone got one yet? | Wow, it's "better" than an iPad »