New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad replaces college text books?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rosefox911

Rosefox911 is on a distinguished road

I was wondering if I could browse the library that the iPad has which shows you what books it offers. I want to try and replace my text books with the iPad and wanted to know if this was possible.
QUOTE Thanks
charlesfmason

charlesfmason is on a distinguished road

There will be an increasing number of text books that will be offered on the iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
lucky7

lucky7 is on a distinguished road

that will be amazing, and i am sorry that i probably wont see the day when 100% of textbooks are digital. i know there are people out there that love everything about books, and they have thousands of them in their houses. they're weird... i dont like books and only own books that are required for school (even then i try not to buy them :lol: ). this would be awesome. not to mention, i wouldnt have to carry around a backpack that weighs 50lbs. picture it; iPad, folder for handouts and a pencil. take all your notes on the ipad, read all your crap on it, etc. the idea alone gets me excited. haha.

-27" iMac. Core 2 Duo, 1TB HD, 4GB Ram.
-13" MacBook Pro. Core 2 Duo, 250GB HD, 4GB Ram.
-iPhone 3GS 32GB.
-AirPort Extreme.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

It will be incredibly awesome if college textbooks makers would start fully developing text books for the iPad. I would buy the ipad just for that reason alone!! I have so many college books…the day this comes true, I would probably consider burning them in a fire pit and dance around it!
QUOTE Thanks
Rosefox911

Rosefox911 is on a distinguished road

That would be sick, I hate the fact that I have to carry around my books all the time, it kills my back not to mention the fact that it takes up much needed space in my dorm room. Is there a site where I can see what textbooks I can read on an ipad before I buy it?
QUOTE Thanks
elnhuk

elnhuk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 64GB WiFi+3G Ipad, 15" i7 MPB

I really doubt that many textbooks will be available on the Ipad because they are so expensive and have such a huge markup.
The textbook market is a racket forcing students to buy overpriced books instead of used ones as they are updated almost every year. When i went to school most of my books were used as the booksellers hadn't figured out that they had a captive clientelle
QUOTE Thanks
CEJunkie

CEJunkie is an unknown at this point

Although it would be nice to have less to lug around all day on campus, there will always be something great about buying a used textbook from the school, the possibility of the last user writing notes in the margins. I don't know how many times that has helped me out when writing papers and studying for tests.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I would LOVE to have my law school casebooks available in e-book format. Our casebooks each weigh a ton so being able to carry a 1.5lbs device with all my casebooks rather than three books that weight 5lb each would be great.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

You're better off getting the Kindle versions as you can make notes. You can't in the iBook app.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
You're better off getting the Kindle versions as you can make notes. You can't in the iBook app.
Simple update will fix that. I agree that textbooks will be awesome for the iPad....but then Apple would take over the world!!! Its bad enough I got picked on in school by being the trendy Apple guy when I busted out my Macbook, but this might push people over the edge.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcompane View Post
Simple update will fix that.
I hope so, but there are other advantages to the Kindle reader. First of all you can also read the downloaded books on your Mac, making homework a little easier, plus there are 10x more Kindle books than iBooks. A quick look at the college text books in the NYU bookstore, hardly any were in the iBook store.

Apple needs to go after the academic publishers hard, and keep the costs down. I saw a $220 stats book for $33 in the Kindle store.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop shortcuts for iPad | Could i use iBook to transfer books »