New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad pictures out of order???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DJjazzcop

DJjazzcop is on a distinguished road

Hey, guys...hoping to get some help on a frustrating issue.

I have a lot of comic book scans, which look BEAUTIFUL on my ipad...but, when I sync the photos (all jpegs) w/my ipad, the photos are all out of order. I tried renaming the files "1, 2, 3, etc" which didn't work...the only thing that has an affect is if I name them "001, 002, 003, etc", but even then they play in reverse order!

any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Tapasya

Tapasya is on a distinguished road

I have exactly the same problem. I do presentations for a living and use the iphone for quick referels. The IPAD however will not show anything in order and yes they do in fact come in backwards if you are lucky enough to get the sync right.

So for those of you who are not following here is what occurs:

1. You take a photo collection of .jpgs named 000.jpg 001.jpg 002.jpg which on WINDOWS machine will display in photo viewers just fine and synchronized, however the same collection once transferred to the IPAD will not be in any synch whatsoever.

Unless this is fixed this is a huge deal breaker. I make a living selling products and I have a pitch that follows a certain slide sequence.

What is the deal here? Retarded IPAD programmers?

How can such a simple service as displaying .jpgs in sequence get so screwed up?

Thank you very much.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

They should be ordered the same way they are in iPhoto, but if they're not they are definitely ordered chronologically so one workaround would be to change the time stamp, which you can do in iPhoto or Photoshop Elements.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
rfe959

rfe959 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2

Wouldn't changing the file name re-date it as far as modification goes. I'm having the same annoying problem. It started with iPhoto on my iPhone so I moved all my pictures to the picture folder in finder and renamed in numerical order. For the iPhone it fixed the problem but now the pics are scrambled again on the iPad. Still no problem on iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
james1956

james1956 is on a distinguished road

Have a PC so can't use iPhoto. tried changing both the names and the time stamps using Photoshop elements on my PC but he order of the photos didn't change. Very frustrating.
QUOTE Thanks
rfe959

Mac Specs: Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1956 View Post
Have a PC so can't use iPhoto. tried changing both the names and the time stamps using Photoshop elements on my PC but he order of the photos didn't change. Very frustrating.
I would appreciate a solution to this problem as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Fair enough, it seems to be different to the original iPhone issue. The iPad must be using some other criteria for sorting.

Google isn't turning up much either.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
james1956

Just spent an hour at the local Apple Store and they couldn't figure it out either. It appears that the sort is by date, but simply changing the date via an album program like Photoshop Elements doesn't help. We also changed dates on Picassa for the PC but when the files were exported the dates didn't stick. So far the only solution appears to buy a MacBook Pro and sync it with Iphoto through Itunes which will work. An expensive fix. Either that or find a program that can change the file dates permanently in a way that the Ipad will recognize.
QUOTE Thanks
Tapasya

Tapasya is on a distinguished road

so we have found a problem. I was sure someone would have the answer and I would be saying " Oh yea why didnt I think of that " but it actually has stumped many people. Im not sure what to do now. I bought this 64gig IPAD just to do mobile picture shows for sales. What a disappointment.
QUOTE Thanks
rfe959

James1956, I have the MBP and the photos were in iPhoto through iTunes. This worked for the iPhone just not the iPad. No worries, I have it posted on eBay and Craiglist. I won't have it long.
QUOTE Thanks
DJjazzcop

DJjazzcop is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.

Too bad...I'm sure there will be apps shortly that properly categorize photos, but it's surprising that apple has decided to format the photos in this way...
QUOTE Thanks
james1956

Rfe, Could you post the link where you're selling the MBP? But I thought you first said you were having problems?
QUOTE Thanks
rfe959

200458694940 this is the item number. I gettig alot of grief over the asking price. The price is totally negotiable.

I was having a little difficulty connecting to wi-fi in the hospital today. After using my MBP and searching the web. I found it to be user error. The hospital needed me to log in to there server. I forgot about doing this on the MBP several monthes ago. As far as the picture things goes, I'll sure Apple will work that out.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Instructions for iPhoto since everyone will have this app for free on their Mac: I am still using iLife '08, but can't imagine it'd be much different for iLife '09. I'm holding out for '10 before I upgrade.

Open up iPhoto and head for 'File' and select 'New Album...'

In the popup window, select 'Album'
Name the album
do not put a check in 'Use selected items in new album' - found "on occasion" you'll not be able to rearrange if you pre-select the pictures.

Once you have the album created, drag and drop the pictures you want in it. When you have all the pics you want for that album, you can go in and move the pictures around and rearrange to your liking. I have done this moving pics from Events within iPhoto, from Projects and Albums in Aperture and from a folder on the desktop.

Have now successfully synced three separate albums from iPhoto and they all maintained the order I set. All the photos file names are titled IMG_0001 up to IMG_0831 and all were .jpg files. Didn't matter what order I put them in the Album, they synced properly to the iPad. All three of the albums I synced have the the same, identical pictures and each album is in the order I set them.

You will need to use the "Albums" view on the iPad. They will not be in order under the "Photos" view.

I have also synced multiple Albums from Aperture 2 with up to 225 pics and have not had an issue with order there in 'Album' view on the iPad either. They are not in order in the Photos view.

I have not attempted syncing direct from a folder yet.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnLynch

JohnLynch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Instructions for iPhoto since everyone will have this app for free on their Mac
Any solutions yet for people who don't own a Mac?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help, Cracked Screen | Ipad 2 email »