New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Does the WiFi-model has GPS?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

matsekberg

matsekberg is on a distinguished road

I dont think the Apple specs at the homepage are clear about this.
Do all models have GPS but the 3G version supports assisted GPS?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No. Only the 3G model has GPS.

The Wifi only model can do things like Google Maps and basic (static) location services using wifi triangulation (ie the same way my 2G iPhone does it), but cannot do real GPS.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

No GPS but it does have the Maps app, which benefits a lot from the larger screen size.
QUOTE Thanks
LMychajluk

LMychajluk is on a distinguished road

Hi, guys and gals! New to the i-world (never owned an iPod or iPhone before), but I'm thinking of maybe getting an iPad. I wanted something that would work for RSS, podcasts, and as an e-book reader for commuting, basic GPS and music player while on my motorcycle (small size could fit in the map pocket of a tank bag), and basic browsing / skype for whenever. NetFlix and the rest is just gravy.

So, quick questions - Will the Maps app work with real- or at least near-time position updating? Will that always require that I be in range of a 3g signal? Can I play audio in the background while having the Maps app up on the screen?
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMychajluk View Post
Hi, guys and gals! New to the i-world (never owned an iPod or iPhone before), but I'm thinking of maybe getting an iPad. I wanted something that would work for RSS, podcasts, and as an e-book reader for commuting, basic GPS and music player while on my motorcycle (small size could fit in the map pocket of a tank bag), and basic browsing / skype for whenever. NetFlix and the rest is just gravy.

So, quick questions - Will the Maps app work with real- or at least near-time position updating? Will that always require that I be in range of a 3g signal? Can I play audio in the background while having the Maps app up on the screen?
If you get the 3G model, it should give you near time position updating but for that, you need the 3G.

As for playing music while using Maps, I am pretty sure it can be done (at least I can do it on my iPhone and from what I know you can do it on an iPad. I will double check at my local BestBuy store for you).
QUOTE Thanks
LMychajluk

LMychajluk is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I'm hoping I can get to BB or maybe even the Apple Store in the next few days to play with one.
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMychajluk View Post
Thanks. I'm hoping I can get to BB or maybe even the Apple Store in the next few days to play with one.
You should make the time
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
No. Only the 3G model has GPS.

The Wifi only model can do things like Google Maps and basic (static) location services using wifi triangulation (ie the same way my 2G iPhone does it), but cannot do real GPS.
Incorrect. Neither has true GPS, but the 3G model will get you approximate location with cell tower triangulation. It'll get kind of close, but nowhere nearGPS percition. And apps with GPS location assist won't work with it.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
rfe959

rfe959 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2

I do believe if you get the data plan you can get GPS. I just logged onto Google Earth and it asked to use my current location. I'm using wifi and it put me on my street. I can see my house with a blue pin by it. With a data plan it should track your movements like the iPhone.

Sorry, I've been corrected by the person above me.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

It's just inaccurate to say that it has GPS. That leads people to think it actually has dedicated GPS hardware that connects with global positioning satellites when it doesn't.

As far as the location assist in apps, the iPhone apps I've loaded onto mine so far have not worked with their locating features. It may work for some, in which case I am wrong, but I just haven't seen it work yet.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I took the leap............ | What's the purpose of the built-in mic? »