New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

ipad - charging via usb issue/problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Ipad - charging via usb issue/problem
This is only appening to a small number of users mind you. But it has been reported. So best to read these 2 links on the issue.

iPad: Charging the battery
The official Apple link on the issue

Some users find iPad not charging on USB ports | Electronista
A nice link with a lot of information on the issue. A good idea to read this too.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/
And this is the official Apple link on their portable computing batteries. Worth a read to learn things on how to properly look after your battery.
QUOTE Thanks
gbtjom

gbtjom is on a distinguished road

Mine will not charge on a standard USB 2.0 port on my Windows PC. I didn't really expect this but it isn't a big deal. I'm guessing that someone felt that the typical USB 2.0 couldn't drive enough current to recharge the battery. I'm not certain if this is something Apple did internally or whether it's some sort of detection on the USB port itself.

jom
QUOTE Thanks
mysn95

mysn95 is on a distinguished road

Interesting. Not uncommon prob for USB devices. Some require more power then ports put out. But because of the hype Apple will catch flak for this.

Went to Apple store when my sister brought hers. Store employee told to use wall charger to charge.

No probes for me on my Macbook pro.

MacBook Pro 13" iPhone 5 iPad(3rd Gen)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Doesn't surprise me at this point. Just charging my iPhone blew the USB ports on the Dell I use at the office and had to put an add-in card in it.

This is what happens with some manufacturers using the least expensive parts they can find for everything that goes into a computer. It's also why I refuse to custom build a machine for friends that are on a tight budget. You can't buy any decent over the counter parts as cheaply as Dell, HP and all those companies can build a low end box.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Guess I can add my MBP to that list. It does not charge connected to either of the USB ports on my late '06 model.

Can't tell you how long the battery lasts yet. Used it off and on for maybe 6-7 hours yesterday and 4 so far this morning. Was sitting at 45% charge when I plugged it in just now.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Artizen

Artizen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Guess I can add my MBP to that list. It does not charge connected to either of the USB ports on my late '06 model.
Mine also won't work on MBP '06. And really the power cord is way to short to use (is that cheap Apple or what?). I'm trying to sit in my chair only 4 ft away from an outlet. I imagine my old Itouch cord (it is longer) might work.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

If your power lead is from a recent iPhone, iTouch or iPod then it will probably work. However the older ones designed to use Firewire will not.

So it depends how old your iTouch is
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad review | Steve's Keynote Presentation.... »