New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

xcode on the iPad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gabrion

gabrion is on a distinguished road

I've seen questions answered about a lot features of the iPad, but I haven't seen this one.

Will we be able to run objective C programming software on our iPads? Half the reason I have a MBP is for xcode to do iPhone programming, but I haven't seen this mentioned in regards to the iPad.

Initially I assumed it wasn't possible because the device would just be running the iPod touch OS, but when I read that people had already created software that could run Windows 7 virtual machines on the iPad, my interest increased.

It will be sad if we have a device that can run Win 7 but not OSX...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Apple - iPad - SDK - That should be a good start for you.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
gabrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Apple - iPad - SDK - That should be a good start for you.
I don't want to develop apps FOR the iPad, I want to develop iPhone apps ON the iPad. As in sit at my iPad and write code.

I can't run Xcode on my Windows desktop unless I make it into a "hackintosh," which is why I bought a MBP. I want to know if I will be able to use Xcode on my iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I don't know for sure but I highly doubt that will ever happen. What's wrong with developing on your MBP?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
gabrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I don't know for sure but I highly doubt that will ever happen. What's wrong with developing on your MBP?
Nothing in particular, I was just hoping that the iPad would be a replacement for mobile computing.

I use a custom built desktop PC because the hardware is obviously not only head and shoulders above Macs in terms of performance, but also cheaper. I use my MBP for mobile computing and Objective C programming and I'm happy with it.

The iPad so far seems like a good replacement for almost all of the things I do with my MBP. The only outstanding issue for me right now is having a way to keep writing code. It's not even like I do a ton of it either, but when I do want to play around with a new iPhone app idea, I would like a way to do it. Ideally I would like to be able to do this without keeping around two mobile computing devices.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I think your best chance of what you want is to wait for/hope an ipad app that allows you to write code is made. Then you can export your written code to your MBP and compile that into a useable app.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I would say highly unlikely any time in the next 2-4 years.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
gabrion

Ok well thanks for the responses, I guess I have my answer unless someone else comes along with new intel.

Like I said in my first post, the real irony here is that if I get an iPad I will be able to run Windows 7 on it (including, presumably, C compilers), but not OSX. This sort of blows my mind.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I think the iPad is suppose to be more of a media device. I would be pleasantly surprised if it could run xcode, gcc or had a terminal or PuTTY-like capability.

BTW... how are you going to run Windows7 natively on the iPad?

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep, like to see a link to that also, since anyone making such a claim has never even yet laid their hands on one.

And I wouldn't even care to run any of the last three versions of Windows on a 1Ghz CPU. To what purpose? Just to prove you could? Pointless. We already know how it runs on 1.6Ghz atom chips.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

So do you run Windows Mobile like on the iPhone and scale it up, or move to the full XP or Win7 like on Netbooks?

( Joking )
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Yeah, I'm calling BS on running full blown Windows7 on it as well. I assume the OP is referring to some sort of remote desktop application or the like. I'm not sure the A4 processor is supported by Microsoft or Apple for full blown OS installation, though I could easily be wrong. Would an iPad have enough RAM to load the OS, and run any meaningful applications?
Anyhow, I'm still pulling for someone porting PuTTY or Terminal to the iPad. THAT would be a killer app for me.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hyundai to provide iPad as Equus owners manual | David Letterman's Ipad top 10 »