New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Magazine Subsriptions on Ipad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

Any word on magazine subscription pricing for Ipad?

Up here in Canada, magazines cost $5 (ie Road and Track, etc.) and we'd love to get those $12 / year subscriptions Americans are accustomed to.

I can't see them charging more for the Ipad subscription than for yearly print delivered to your door?

If they do, bravo for them. Who would think folks would pay more for viewing an item on a computer screen than the old-fashioned (and more comfortable) paper based model.

Heck, Steve Jobs will soon proclaim he's saved acres of forest. You know, he may just do that.
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

I read on the news this morning that the Wallstreet Journal will be around $19 a month for an ongoing subscription on the iPad, which reportedly is just a few dollars more than the regular print.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

And that's a rip off. They remove the paper printing and delivery costs of the regular print version and then charge us more for the ipad electronic version. The only thing I get out of that is someone wants to make more money off ipad users.
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

^^^Completely agree with you, but I figured this would happen at first. I don't mind $5 a month for a magazine like Wired or say National Geographic, but my reading habits with magazines are so sporadic I don't ever get subscriptions anymore besides Men's Health.

2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
And that's a rip off. They remove the paper printing and delivery costs of the regular print version and then charge us more for the ipad electronic version. The only thing I get out of that is someone wants to make more money off ipad users.
I was reading that the reason companies are doing this is to prevent cannibalization of their print editions. They're holding on for dear life to their business model at the expense of actual innovation that could help stave off their demise.

Wait long enough and prices for the electronic versions will plummet.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I was reading that the reason companies are doing this is to prevent cannibalization of their print editions. They're holding on for dear life to their business model at the expense of actual innovation that could help stave off their demise.

Wait long enough and prices for the electronic versions will plummet.
It's called having a conscience for some owner's, CEO's, etc.
Yeah, there are still some business people that have one.

It can be pretty hard changing a business model and having a 50-60 yr old needing to make the decision to lay off all the other 50-60 yr old employees that have not only made the company what it is today, but have also become friends over the last 20-30 years and hire a bunch of kids to take the company in a new direction.

And then having to pay that 25 yr old fresh out of school still wet behind the ears kid more $$ than the worker that's been on the job with you for 25 yrs is tuff to take also.

No offense to the youngsters out there, just a part of the reality of what happens as technology progresses.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There are some magazines that will be using the Zinio app already available for the iPhone and several new mags have jumped on for the iPad. Looks like some are deciding whether to use Zinio or come out with their own apps.

Sampling of subscription prices and # of issues

$16.50 - 12 - National Geographic - I'll definitely grab this one.
$11.88 - 12 - Men's Journal
$46.00 - 51 - Business Week
$10.00 - 12 - Popular Science
$10.00 - 12 - Popular Photography

Check out more mags here.

And books, now here's what I'm talking about the need for color in an ereader - Kindle tear your heart out - check this one out - link - click on the 'Inside' link that's on the bottom of the cover for a taste. This sample is in Flash, so yet to be seen if we'll have this for the iPad, but it's pretty cool.

Biology Textbook - no samples here, but a substantial savings over the hardback price.

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Well looking at this link book and magazine prices on the ibookstore could be on the increase.

iBookstore prices climb back up to $13 post-leak | Electronista
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

That stinks, but I'll probably only be purchasing one or two new releases anyways. I tend to wait until books are on sale before picking them up.

QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I assume all these are US only?

Any UK ones?
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Not yet. As ibooks for places like Australia and the UK is not ready yet. And Apple will let us know when we get ibooks.
QUOTE Thanks
jg24

jg24 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, Acer second display 1TB Iomega HD, iPad 32GB wifi, iphone 4, sprint overdrive

I will be getting the National Geographic as well. Awesome deal from the paper version.
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
It's expensive to go green
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg24 View Post
I will be getting the National Geographic as well. Awesome deal from the paper version.
Would you have some info about this please? Where to get it, price etc.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
Would you have some info about this please? Where to get it, price etc.
See my post above.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Gift Card and Costco | Funny ipad pictures/comics »