New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Reserve or Pre-Order

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iserian

iserian is on a distinguished road

For those who are Reserving - why choose this instead of Pre-Order and vice versa.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

I pre-ordered, because ordering stuff over the internet is generally how I roll. And if the alternative is wading through a mob at the Apple store, even more so.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Either way is ok. Just remember this.

"This is where you’ll pick up your iPad between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on April 3."
I'm sure somewhere it said after 3pm it'll be on a first in best dressed basis. So if you can't get in to the store before 3pm better to order online I guess. But in saying that some people like ordering in person. I think each person is different.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Like the others have said, it's up to personal preference. Do you want it delivered to your door (preorder) or do you want to pick it up at your local Apple Store (reserve) and walk out with all the suckers who didn't reserve theirs gazing at you in awe and envy?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
iserian

Sure - I'd like to avoid the crowded stores but I'd like to avoid the restocking fee even more. I still need to see the Ipad in person to get an idea for form factor and if this will in deed be able to replace my e-readers. I plan to hit the store late on launch day and make the decision 16, 32, 64 - or NO Ipad.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iserian View Post
Sure - I'd like to avoid the crowded stores but I'd like to avoid the restocking fee even more. I still need to see the Ipad in person to get an idea for form factor and if this will in deed be able to replace my e-readers. I plan to hit the store late on launch day and make the decision 16, 32, 64 - or NO Ipad.
So if you can't make up your mind about purchasing the iPad until you can see, feel, and use it (which is certainly understandable)...why are you asking about "reserving or pre-ordering"?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
iserian

Valid question -

I'm curious as to how many are sure about the purchase sight unseen/touched vs how many people want/need to play with it a bit before purchasing. In general I do not purchase items that have a restocking fee but given that this one does (according to Apple store emp) I want to make sure this one fits the bill.

Initially I was all for just pre-ordering it and having it shipped to my door - but after deciding that all I really want is a color E-Reader more so for emag's than books (the color part that is) I don't want to get stuck with another tablet. I still have two slates from the tablet pc days and they work fine but the form factor is all wrong to replace my 1st gen Sony Ereader and 2nd Gen Kindle. I'm starting to get the feeling that the Ipad may also be all wrong (form factor wise...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
So if you can't make up your mind about purchasing the iPad until you can see, feel, and use it (which is certainly understandable)...why are you asking about "reserving or pre-ordering"?

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

I pre ordered, the thing is i remember the MBA they were out of stock at stores for a week(base model) I also got mine a day before launch.
Hope lighting strikes twice
as for the sight unseen, I love Apple and would love anything they made.

The first launch of the iphone i only saw on TV, the door lady at ATT gave me the demo unit and i fell in love, I was buying one, ended up with 3 glad i had my son and his girl with me
QUOTE Thanks
iserian

Good Point - after all its only $500 bucks I'm not doubting that I'll very much like it but in this economy I'm trying to keep my wants and needs in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadApple View Post
I pre ordered, the thing is i remember the MBA they were out of stock at stores for a week(base model) I also got mine a day before launch.
Hope lighting strikes twice
as for the sight unseen, I love Apple and would love anything they made.

The first launch of the iphone i only saw on TV, the door lady at ATT gave me the demo unit and i fell in love, I was buying one, ended up with 3 glad i had my son and his girl with me
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm curious as to how many are sure about the purchase sight unseen/touched vs how many people want/need to play with it a bit before purchasing.
There's really not quite as much risk here as you may think. The iPad is basically a BIG iPod Touch (which has been written about many many times in the press).

So if you like the iPod Touch...you will most likely like the iPad!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
iserian

I'm hoping that I'll know it when I see it or actually feel it. If it can replace my current ereaders then I'm game if its too big/ too heavy to hold for long periods of time then it may not fit the bill. My concerns relate to Form Factor - the Touch has an ideal form factor but screen is too small to make it a good ereader IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
There's really not quite as much risk here as you may think. The iPad is basically a BIG iPod Touch (which has been written about many many times in the press).

So if you like the iPod Touch...you will most likely like the iPad!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Think of it as a stiff magazine. It's about the same size and weight, so if you can handle that then you're good to go.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
iserian

If that was true I would have no doubt the Ipad would fit the bill.

Unfortunately the Ipad weighs magnitudes more than a typical magazine or I should say typical of what I read.

Road & Track April 2010 weighs 7.9 ounces
Apple Ipad April 2010 weighs 1.5 pounds (0.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;

7.9 oz = 0.493749 lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Think of it as a stiff magazine. It's about the same size and weight, so if you can handle that then you're good to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Ok, so think of it as holding three copies of Road & Track, or maybe one copy of a bigger magazine like GQ

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Unfortunately the Ipad weighs magnitudes more than a typical magazine or I should say typical of what I read.
It sounds like you have plenty of concerns regarding the purchase of the iPad. Just wait until April 3rd...then check it out & see if it's right for you.

Just don't expect to walk out of the store on April 3rd with an iPad in hand! That's the price you pay for needing to see it, feel it, and play with it first.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why is ipad applecare only 2 years? | Reservation Info »