New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hey Future iPad Owners!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

I was wondering how many of you who ordered an iPad have an iPhone. If you do have an iPhone, why did you order the iPad?

I am asking this because I have an iPhone and a MBP, and like all Apple gadgets that are released, I got to get an iPad! But, then again, wouldn't it just a real gadget that I won't use that much?

Apple "convinced me" that I needed an iPhone (you know what I mean). So I bought an iPhone even tho I didn't need it. True! Then now, I don't know what I would do without my iPhone. I believe the same will happen with the iPad. I don't need one, but like ALL OF YOU I want to find good reasons that will justify my future purchase

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I have an iPhone which I use all the time, plus a laptop (not Mac) which I never use. I also have a Kindle2 which I never use, although I use Kindle for iPhone every day.

I still want an iPad.

Logic tells me to wait until the Mark II comes out - as I did for the iPhone.

My heart says there is an Apple Shop 12 miles from my Office and the iPad comes out soon.

The Battle continues
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I've discussed these ideas in more detail in other threads, but yes I have an iPhone and yes I'll soon have an iPad.

The iPad, for me personally, will serve three important functions:

1. It will free me from having to sit at my workdesk all the time. I like to enjoy watching TV on the couch (for example) and having something large enough to easily read would allow me to check my email while the commercials are on (etc). I would probably also use it for reading before I go to bed, and similar uses. The iPhone's screen is a little small for such "relaxed" uses, at least to these middle-aged eyes.

2. It frees me from having to take a laptop with me every time I'm travelling. The iPhone is very useful in these situations too, but the iPad allows me to do more (an aspect that will continue to grow as time goes on). I just don't need to bring "a whole computer" with me every time I leave the house, but I often find myself doing that anyway. Its kind of bulky to lug everywhere, especially if you're on foot. The iPad fits easily in a knapsack or briefcase or satchel (et al) which means the laptop can stay home much more often than it does.

3. I give a lot of presentations, so I expect to use the iPad to hook up to a projector and run (as well as create) my slideshows using iWork. FAR less bulky than a laptop (and remember I'm already bringing a projector, so any less weight = good!).

I could think of a LOT more ways in which the iPad will be of service to me either immediately or in the future, but that's enough for now.
QUOTE Thanks
stoster1

stoster1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24 inch/iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
I was wondering how many of you who ordered an iPad have an iPhone. If you do have an iPhone, why did you order the iPad?

I am asking this because I have an iPhone and a MBP, and like all Apple gadgets that are released, I got to get an iPad! But, then again, wouldn't it just a real gadget that I won't use that much?

Apple "convinced me" that I needed an iPhone (you know what I mean). So I bought an iPhone even tho I didn't need it. True! Then now, I don't know what I would do without my iPhone. I believe the same will happen with the iPad. I don't need one, but like ALL OF YOU I want to find good reasons that will justify my future purchase

Thanks!
Apps - I'm getting the iPad because the additional screen space will definitely help with some of the apps that I have on my iPhone. I sometimes need to see more data than the iPhone screen can show and it's a pain having to move back and forth.

Ebooks - I've done that on the iPhone and it's ok but when you can only see a paragraph or 2 at a time it doesn't always make for the most enjoyable experience.

Movies - I have a digital copy of "The Dark Knight" that I watched on my iPhone while I was traveling. It was nice to have the movie to watch but again the size limitation of the screen was an issue.

iWork - I'll be getting Pages & Keynote for the iPad. I used to have MobileMe and was able to access Pages docs I had created on my iMac but having to zoom in or move the page up and down because I couldn't see the whole document.

Web Browsing - Again the bigger screen will be great so that I'm not always having to zoom in or move the page up or down.

Gaming - Again that bigger screen will allow for more complex and detailed gaming experiences. Can't wait!!

Unknown uses - Finally who knows what products 3rd party developers will come up with. I can't wait to see what new things I can use it for that I wasn't even thinking of.
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

Nexus one and iPad, thats all i need.
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Well, Thanks for the first ones who gave their opinion.

I have both the iPhone and the MBP.....the iPad would be more of a gadget than a real need lol.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
I have both the iPhone and the MBP.....the iPad would be more of a gadget than a real need lol.
Technically you could also consider your iPhone & MBP to be "gadgets" as well.

You really don't NEED an iPhone...in fact you could even survive without a cell phone. And having a laptop is nice...but again...not an absolute necessity.

I would agree that of the three devices (iPhone, MBP, and iPad)...the iPad probably adds the least amount of additional value. But like I've said in other iPad threads...we don't always buy electronic devices because of their added value...be buy them because they're cool & fun!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I would agree that of the three devices (iPhone, MBP, and iPad)...the iPad probably adds the least amount of additional value. But like I've said in other iPad threads...we don't always buy electronic devices because of their added value...be buy them because they're cool & fun!!!

- Nick
I would agree with that!

I heard that word "fun" 10 times on the iPad presentation...
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

I've got an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. Yes I'll be getting an iPad on day one.....iBooks.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Who can vote for the last option since nobody "gotta ipad"?

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

It seems that some of you are just like me: have the iPhone and the laptop but we still want a third Apple product in our gadget-shelf! lol
QUOTE Thanks
MN_Mac_Gal

MN_Mac_Gal is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 27" iMac , 24" iMac , MacBook Pro Unibody , Macbook Air , Macbook , and Mac Mini

I have an iPhone and ordered my 64gb 3g iPad on the 12th.

For me it's not an either or thing at all..I see different uses for both ,as well as some uses being shared.

I luv Apple "i" stuff and am a big gadget person anyways though,so that has a lot to do with it. lol
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

12 more days....
QUOTE Thanks
Ccab

Ccab is on a distinguished road

Ive got an iPhone, Ive got a MBP, Ive got an iTouch in my car for mp3s, Ive pre-ordered the iPad.

done.

Macbook Pro 13" 4G RAM
iPhone 3GS 16G
iTouch
COMING SOON! Apple iPad 16G Wifi+3G
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I own an iPhone. It's a Phone and it fits in your pocket. The iPad is NOT a cell phone. Does not make Cell Phone calls.

I own both a Mac and Windows Laptop and Netbook. I hate the netbook. HORRIBLE keyboard and the resolution is uneven so some apps go way off the screen.

An iPad will be so much easier to tote around the house when I don't want to be tied to a computer but surf the net, chat, check email, even write a Document here and there. I will almost bet I will be able to type faster on the iPads On-Screen keyboard than my Netbooks.

Also the iPad would be great to take with me to keep in touch while at friends/Family's house's.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 250MB of data for iPad | iPad Case delivery delayed »