New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad will just be fad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasmartin View Post
Wow, it was such a interesting discussion to read!! I have learnt more about iPad and its uses from this thread than any other source. Really thanks for all these information.

If you ask my view now, I think that iPad will not become a 'must have' like a TV or a radio, but still to many it will be a item they will not leave their house with!!
You mean without

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
I would be interested to know how you are going to explain this statement.
He was being sarcastic

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

The iPad will probably be successful, but not for me.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strukt View Post
The iPad will probably be successful, but not for me.
That is an helpful input
QUOTE Thanks
ebeckert

ebeckert is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook - 320 GB HD, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, + Magic Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapzilla2002 View Post
I just pre-ordered the 32GB WiFi iPad, now here are my reasons:

1. I sold my Kindle DX on ebay for $395 (I really liked it for reading on the treadmill)
2. instead of taking my MBP with me on work trips, I can do everything with the iPad
3. iPad will be easier to watch movies in the plane if person in front of me reclines
4. taking work laptop and MBP was too heavy, this will lighten my load

I love Apple everything, so it wasn't too hard of a sell for me. Selling the Kindle was what made me actually made me do it.

I can't wait til 4/3!
I couldn't agree more. I'm in the process of selling my Kindle 2 on eBay, and I will still make a decent profit off of it. I doubt the market will drop completely for the Kindle. Look at everyone on here who is anti-iPad.

And I can not stress enough how much 2 and 3 made the decision for me. For 3, I actually took a flight yesterday, and sitting in the cramped seat trying to watch a movie on my 13" MB when the person in front of me reclined was not fun.

For 2, I usually bring my laptop to school. I have a textbook online, so I find it safer to bring with just in case. Now, with the iPad, I can bring something lighter and use that instead. I won't be annoyed when I found out I brought my laptop with for nothing. And, with the addition of iWork, if I need to edit a paper, no problem.

My only complaint is that I ordered the 64gb iPad wifi+3G, so I have to wait a while to get my iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapzilla2002 View Post
I just pre-ordered the 32GB WiFi iPad, now here are my reasons:

1. I sold my Kindle DX on ebay for $395 (I really liked it for reading on the treadmill)
2. instead of taking my MBP with me on work trips, I can do everything with the iPad
3. iPad will be easier to watch movies in the plane if person in front of me reclines
4. taking work laptop and MBP was too heavy, this will lighten my load

I love Apple everything, so it wasn't too hard of a sell for me. Selling the Kindle was what made me actually made me do it.

I can't wait til 4/3!
Me too, while I don't do traveling for work I do plan on using the iPad as a go to gadget for many of my other devices which will now require me to only carry ONE device. I also predict many college students doing the same. This will be much easier on the back than a bigger laptop.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
4phun

4phun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtjom View Post

Speaking of which, I was thinking of using the iPad taking note itself. Will there be a stylus you can use for that. I really want to bring my .pdf technical documents I have and write some notes in the side spaces. Will that be available....and actually saving the additions?

jom
Stylus - no, there is no need for one with a properly designed iPad app.

Pdf Editor as you describe - yes there is an iPad app for that.

PadNotes.
YouTube - PadNotes iPad app preview
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Padnotes looks pretty good. Already takes care of a lot of the issues people brought up saying the iPad will be horrible for productivity. And the fact that people have barely had time to make apps and the iPad isn't even out yet means that it's only going to get a LOT better!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

I suppose you need a stylus to use Padnotes efficiently...
QUOTE Thanks
Michael415

Michael415 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
I suppose you need a stylus to use Padnotes efficiently...
I would completely agree with that. My finger isn't super tiny and for that much precision and writing it would be much more natural and accurate.

I am partially reserving judgment on the ipad to see what its final capabilities really are when the rubber hits the road so to speak. But from what I have seen I don't see how anyone actually working from the road could use this as a replacement to a MBP. Thinking of how much typing and PP I create on the fly it would seem very cumbersome to have to work that way.
I think my biggest stumbling block is how to classify this product and what its purpose. Its clearly not a computer in the traditional sense (not in a good way). Its even more crippled than a netbook. Is it an ereader, okay I could see that but wow seems way pricey for one.
I could totally see the use if it could do two primary things, allow me to share and edit docs on the desktop easily and most importantly multitask. Perhaps they have figured out a way I haven't seen yet on the import/export docs with iworks for the ipad. But the one that really leaves me scratching my head (and imho likely cripples its usability greatly) is no multitasking. I am not asking it to run excel, word, surf, itunes and adium but I don't think its unreasonable to ask it to run itunes and adium while I surf the web. This also greatly limits its ability to be a couch computer because while relaxing I surf and chat with friends. Throw on top no built in cam and even multitasking abilities aside its missing a basic feature found on the cheapest of netbooks. I don't think I am the only person who uses a computer like this and I think its partially the reason netbooks gained so much traction.
So I guess I am not apples intended market for this one, even though I usually am (young, educated, and comfortable fairly insulated income). But to be honest besides the kindle owners or college kids with online textbooks I don't know who is the intended market. Perhaps things have changed dramatically but when I was in college a few yrs ago an ipad would of paid for lots of ramen.
Please don't take this post as apple hating. I own many of their products and am genuinely trying to understand why so many on this forum are so excited about this product.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do remember one thing and I am not jumping on your post. The iPad is not billed as a Laptop replacement but an in between the iPhone and a Laptop. If you need everything a Laptop can do and are going to do extended typing on the road, then to me a Laptop would still be needed. It really depends on the user and what they do.

Like you said though, lets wait till it's released and in the hands of the public for a while.
QUOTE Thanks
kbOx

kbOx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram

Travis, i'm not sure there is a gap between laptops and smartphones that needs filling. I have a feeling it's going to be apples zune. Once the initial hype and frenzy buying dies down and the realisation that people generally dont read enough books to make buying a $500 ebook reader worth while sets in i wouldn't be surprised if we find very few average users owning one and those who do own one hardly ever using it.

It's limited uses are evidenced by normal users talking about nothing but the book store and analysts talking about how it will be great for watching movies on a flight, as if everyone spends half their life jetting around the planet while craving a dose of Ave ventura - pet detective.

Follow me on Twitter for iPhone news: @iph0ne
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What I said was exactly what Jobs said about the iPad and where it comes into the picture. That is Apples own words about what the iPad is. In between.

Also no Ebook reader has a word processor, Spreadsheet, Internet, Web, Mail, Chat and all the iPad will do.
QUOTE Thanks
kbOx

kbOx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
What I said was exactly what Jobs said about the iPad and where it comes into the picture. That is Apples own words about what the iPad is. In between.
Yeah, they called it "the third device". It seems like more of a fifth wheel though.

Quote:
Also no Ebook reader has a word processor, Spreadsheet, Internet, Web, Mail, Chat and all the iPad will do.
I'm just going by what those who love it say they are going to use it for. Which is apparently read books on it and watch movies on planes. I'm sure most people wont be doing much word processing on it, most people don't do much word processing anyway, and as for email and chat, well the smartphone excels at that kind of thing.

If people are getting an ipad they almost certainly already have a laptop and a smartphone and i can't think of a single thing which the ipad could do better than either of those. Unless of course you suddenly get the urge to do only one thing at a time.

Follow me on Twitter for iPhone news: @iph0ne
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Do know that multitasking is coming in the next release of iPhone OS. At least that is what everyone seem to be saying.

For a lot of things the screen size of the touch and iPhone is way too small. The screen on the iPad will make a large different for those uses.
QUOTE Thanks
Michael415

Michael415 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbOx View Post
Yeah, they called it "the third device". It seems like more of a fifth wheel though.

I'm just going by what those who love it say they are going to use it for. Which is apparently read books on it and watch movies on planes. I'm sure most people wont be doing much word processing on it, most people don't do much word processing anyway, and as for email and chat, well the smartphone excels at that kind of thing.

If people are getting an ipad they almost certainly already have a laptop and a smartphone and i can't think of a single thing which the ipad could do better than either of those. Unless of course you suddenly get the urge to do only one thing at a time.
I can see using it on planes. The battery life is great and would certainly outlast my 15 inch MBP. But this is somewhat negated by the fact that most flights (at least my experience lately) have had power connections at the seat so I can watch a movie with my MBPs bigger screen and still arrive with a full battery. I fall into the group kbox describes I already have the iphone and MBP and have a hard time justifying this product. So far the ipad looks like a jack of all trades but a master of none. It would only add weight to my bags.
I truly hope your right dtravis7 that in the next os update it ads multitasking as it seems the processor is able to handle several things at once. Guess we will just have to wait and see.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB? Block website? Multiple Users? | iPad Accessories »