New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

More of a Big iPhone...


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Voony

 
Member Since: Feb 14, 2010
Posts: 262
Voony will become famous soon enough

Voony is offline
...than a small portable laptop, I think.

I love Apple products. I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. The iPad is a beautiful object but that seems pretty useless to me.

Why? Well it is more of a big phone than a small laptop. Take the applications, I watched the video with Steve Jobs and all the other guys presenting the iPad. Well when they were running apps it was on a small screen, and that looks pretty odd to me. Yes you can zoom in but I don't know if you noticed that they didn't run so many applications full screen (at least should I say they chose carefully which ones to run).

Yes it looks to be a cool thing to use to browse internet, or look at pictures..yahoo! Do you really spend hours looking at your pictures on your phone or laptop? I don't.

Hey you can use it as a phone as well...what a big *** phone lol! How practical is it? seriously why would you put your SIM card on it? You already have a phone for Pete Sake!

I'd love the iPad if it was more like the HP Slate. It looks to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Slate comes with a real OS with which you can use the Slate as a real small portable laptop. The iPad is just a big phone for god sake!

You can watch movies..how on earth are you supposed to put your movies on that thing? Oh yeah you have to buy them on the iTunes store....what about Netflix? Can I watch Netflix movies on the iPad using Safari in good quality? That would be awesome! Oh and forget about your DVDs..can't play them anyway, a laptop is better.

Yes many negative comments. Please just explain to me why you would really need an iPad? Really why? I'd buy it only because it looks sexy, that's all. IF it had a real OS like on a laptop then I'd buy it for sure if I can do Word, Excel, etc. But download a third party application to be able to use my Excel spreadsheet that's pretty lame to me.

Just tell me why
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

 
clayneal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 27, 2009
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 2,146
clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

clayneal is offline
Welcome to Mac-forums

I think if you are really interested in our thoughts on the subject perhaps look around a bit and you will find all of our reasons for and agianst the iPad.

I hope you enjoy you stay here

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
Closerframe

 
Closerframe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 11, 2010
Posts: 54
Closerframe is an unknown at this point

Closerframe is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
...than a small portable laptop, I think.

I love Apple products. I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. The iPad is a beautiful object but that seems pretty useless to me.

Why? Well it is more of a big phone than a small laptop. Take the applications, I watched the video with Steve Jobs and all the other guys presenting the iPad. Well when they were running apps it was on a small screen, and that looks pretty odd to me. Yes you can zoom in but I don't know if you noticed that they didn't run so many applications full screen (at least should I say they chose carefully which ones to run).

Yes it looks to be a cool thing to use to browse internet, or look at pictures..yahoo! Do you really spend hours looking at your pictures on your phone or laptop? I don't.

Hey you can use it as a phone as well...what a big *** phone lol! How practical is it? seriously why would you put your SIM card on it? You already have a phone for Pete Sake!

I'd love the iPad if it was more like the HP Slate. It looks to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Slate comes with a real OS with which you can use the Slate as a real small portable laptop. The iPad is just a big phone for god sake!

You can watch movies..how on earth are you supposed to put your movies on that thing? Oh yeah you have to buy them on the iTunes store....what about Netflix? Can I watch Netflix movies on the iPad using Safari in good quality? That would be awesome! Oh and forget about your DVDs..can't play them anyway, a laptop is better.

Yes many negative comments. Please just explain to me why you would really need an iPad? Really why? I'd buy it only because it looks sexy, that's all. IF it had a real OS like on a laptop then I'd buy it for sure if I can do Word, Excel, etc. But download a third party application to be able to use my Excel spreadsheet that's pretty lame to me.

Just tell me why
I guess its for people who don't have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or Macbook. In the beginning it did appear to be just an over sized iPhone to me, but with features such as iWork, and additional possibilities that have yet to be announced. Like you mentioned, Netflix hasn't popped up yet, but I'm sure it will now that they realize how big and powerful the iPad is.

And about the undersized iPhone apps, I think Jobs did a great job of showing off what can be done when apps are converted to the iPad, and EA showed off how games can look just as good.
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

 
Member Since: Feb 14, 2010
Posts: 262
Voony will become famous soon enough

Voony is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closerframe View Post
I guess its for people who don't have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or Macbook. In the beginning it did appear to be just an over sized iPhone to me, but with features such as iWork, and additional possibilities that have yet to be announced. Like you mentioned, Netflix hasn't popped up yet, but I'm sure it will now that they realize how big and powerful the iPad is.

And about the undersized iPhone apps, I think Jobs did a great job of showing off what can be done when apps are converted to the iPad, and EA showed off how games can look just as good.
Could you tell me more about iWork and the iPad?
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

 
cuhnool's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 02, 2008
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,502
cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

cuhnool is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
...than a small portable laptop, I think.
Well it's not supposed to be a small portable laptop.

Why am I getting one? So I don't have to carry my MacBook to and from school every day. I already do that in highschool, and I absolutely hate doing it. I have already dropped it once. Luckily it was in my bag and no problems have occurred. I can't afford to buy another $1000+ computer, plus I love this one too much. I am NOT doing the Windows deal, so a china-plastic netbook/"laptop" is out for me.

That's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
Could you tell me more about iWork and the iPad?
Wait until people can actually buy the iPad. But I can tell you that Apple developed an iPad optimized iWork suite that will be available in the App Store for ten bucks.

QUOTE Thanks
Voony

 
Member Since: Feb 14, 2010
Posts: 262
Voony will become famous soon enough

Voony is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuhnool View Post
Well it's not supposed to be a small portable laptop.

Why am I getting one? So I don't have to carry my MacBook to and from school every day. I already do that in highschool, and I absolutely hate doing it. I have already dropped it once. Luckily it was in my bag and no problems have occurred. I can't afford to buy another $1000+ computer, plus I love this one too much. I am NOT doing the Windows deal, so a china-plastic netbook/"laptop" is out for me.

That's why.
Could you explain to me how using an iPad at school will make your life easier than bringing your laptop? I'm not only talking about the weight of both machines....more usage...
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuhnool View Post
Wait until people can actually buy the iPad. But I can tell you that Apple developed an iPad optimized iWork suite that will be available in the App Store for ten bucks.
I don't mean to be rude, but where is there any definitive documentation (proof) about this? It would be cool but so far it seems like it's just speculation.


QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,191
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

dtravis7 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but where is there any definitive documentation (proof) about this? It would be cool but so far it seems like it's just speculation.

Jobs said that in the Keynote BTW. $10 for each application in iWork for the iPad at the App Store.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/app-store/ Watch the Keynote for the $10 for each iWork for iPad App.

Also to the OP, the iPad is NOT a telephone. It does not make phone calls. The 3G is ONLY for data on the go.

You can install the Skype application and make phone calls, but it's not a phone.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

 
cuhnool's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 02, 2008
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,502
cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

cuhnool is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but where is there any definitive documentation (proof) about this? It would be cool but so far it seems like it's just speculation.
......... the keynote

And it's not having more usage, and I though I already explained it, but I do not want to bring my MacBook to and from school everyday. I'm staying home while attending college so bringing my computer everyday isn't necessary. I don't like doing that now in school, why should I have to continue that? Yes, laptops are meant to be mobile, but if anything happens to it I just couldn't afford it. I could afford the iPad to be repaired under Apple Care protection, and I wouldn't be without my main machine.

QUOTE Thanks
Voony

 
Member Since: Feb 14, 2010
Posts: 262
Voony will become famous soon enough

Voony is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Jobs said that in the Keynote BTW. $10 for each application in iWork for the iPad at the App Store.

Apple - iPad - App Store - 140,000 apps at your fingertips. Watch the Keynote for the $10 for each iWork for iPad App.

Also to the OP, the iPad is NOT a telephone. It does not make phone calls. The 3G is ONLY for data on the go.

You can install the Skype application and make phone calls, but it's not a phone.
Don't get me wrong guys, I'd love to have an iPad. But I like when you explain to me what it can do exactly. With iWork that sounds good to me. Even if you have to pay $10 for each app (3 in total? that's ok).

And I would love to have an iPad for when I travel somewhere and don't need the weight of my laptop and all the things that come with it (the big *** power adapter, the mouse ,etc.).

Btw, is the iPad to be used like an iPhone in the sense when you plug it in to a laptop to upload music and stuff? And I suppose you can plug it in to an outlet easily to recharge it like an iPhone too without a big *** power adapter?

I would really like to know how it will handle Netflix because I don't want to buy movies on the app store. Netflix is just so awesome :-)

Oh btw: if you want the Wi Fi + 3G with 32go hard drive, it's almost the price of your laptop if you brake it lol...
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Jobs said that in the Keynote BTW. $10 for each application in iWork for the iPad at the App Store.

Apple - iPad - App Store - 140,000 apps at your fingertips. Watch the Keynote for the $10 for each iWork for iPad App.

Also to the OP, the iPad is NOT a telephone. It does not make phone calls. The 3G is ONLY for data on the go.

You can install the Skype application and make phone calls, but it's not a phone.
See, now I know. That's what I get for not watching the Keynote! This would be cool. I now wonder if they'll be made available for the iPod/iPhone or just the iPad?

As for the rest, the iPad is more like big iPod Touch than a big iPhone, IMO.


QUOTE Thanks
Voony

 
Member Since: Feb 14, 2010
Posts: 262
Voony will become famous soon enough

Voony is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
See, now I know. That's what I get for not watching the Keynote! This would be cool. I now wonder if they'll be made available for the iPod/iPhone or just the iPad?

As for the rest, the iPad is more like big iPod Touch than a big iPhone, IMO.
An iPod touch is an iPhone without the cellular capability. Duh!
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

 
cuhnool's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 02, 2008
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,502
cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

cuhnool is offline
The iPad does really seem like a big iPod touch. But the interface got a hefty uplift and it looks like it can be more capable with certain things like note taking and web browsing, because of the larger screen size and bigger processor. I mean, think about holding a little tiny iPod/iPhone and typing on it half the day and staring at a little screen having to zoom in and out, in and out, in and out. The iPad eliminates that and fits the profile to take place of a netbook, even though it's not meant to be. That's where the most benefit will come of it, I believe. Not using it for solely music or playing games on. More of an organizational tool

QUOTE Thanks
Closerframe

 
Closerframe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 11, 2010
Posts: 54
Closerframe is an unknown at this point

Closerframe is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voony View Post
Could you explain to me how using an iPad at school will make your life easier than bringing your laptop? I'm not only talking about the weight of both machines....more usage...
I have a Dell Inspiron 15'inch. Its a drag putting it in my labtop bag along with several of my books (It hurts my shoulder). With the iPad I can take notes on this small device, instead of using pencil and notebook, and hopefully in the future, textbooks will make their way to the iBooks store.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,435
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
I think, as I've said in a number of similar threads, that it would be prudent to wait and see some professional reviews before you pass judgment.

Right now you know about as much as the rest of us. The finer points of the device and its usefulness won't be known until its released (and some would say, until developers have had a chance to really enhance its capabilities with their own apps).

So, in short, I say patience is really warranted here. In my opinion, it's a device in a category all its own and comparing it to existing entrance in other categories is mostly useless conjecture.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Pre Ordering the iPad | Apple might consider dropping price on iPad »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?