New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

ipad, ipod and stealing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Hi, I have a coulple more ipad questions I don't think have been answered yet. And I think some others might liek to know these answers too.

1. Can the ipad be a good ipod? What I mean here is I know the ipad can play songs like an ipod. But judging by the size of it, it will not fit in your pocket like an ipod can. So throwing one in your pocket when going on the train or bus or walking around etc to have your tunes in your ears is probably not possible. You have to have it in your backpack to your hands can be free listening to the tunes with the headphones coming out of the backpack to your ears. That's totally fine unless you want to pick a song. You have to open your bag each time, a hassle or just buy one of those headphones with the song switcher on the headphones themselves. And hope they work with the ipad.

So my question is how do you think the ipad can be as an ipod? Sure it can be other things too but how good do you think i can emulate the portabiltiy of an ipod?

2. Do you think the ipad will have anti-theft measures/features on it? If you use it in public would apple make a case that say you can attach to yourself so if someone runs up to you and takes it and runs away, they can't get far with it? Cause for the furst few years I see anyone using their ipad in public as a theif magnet. Cause the ipad would be good to use and good to resell (as most Apple products). Would some kind of password needed to access the main screen after it's turned on each time work?

What is your take on how to keep the ipad safe from thieves. And your data on it unaccessable if a thief does manage to get a hold of it?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Well you could always get a headset that has song selection and volume control.

As for the anti-thief measures that might come as third party product. Even if you did tether yourself to the iPad I don't think that would deter some thieves from actually trying something.

Since the iPad is so light weight and such...I don't think it would be very difficult to run with it. Depends on how fast they are and the environment I suppose.

I'm guessing it might be the same slide to unlock with a password like the iPhone/iPod Touch.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I don't see how the iPad would be any different than a MacBook in both cases. The MacBook can be used as a large clumsy iPod and it can be stolen relatively easily.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

For music you can get a BT stereo headset and cut the cord, but for music selection you could get the iPod Shuffle style headphones that allow you to use the voice feature to switch songs/playlists. Attach the latter to a BT adapter and you never have to take it out of your bag!

As for theft, yeah it may be a little more susceptible depending on how successful it is, but not unlike any other gadget. At least with the iPad you can get the locator and remote wipe features available through MobileMe services. Best bet for any tech device with your info on it is to always have it password protected.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

fleurya:

I love your sig but I have to point out that "niece" is misspelled. Even my four-year-old niece noticed it.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

No no he meant the 2 year old nice bicsuit that he left in his draw .
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

I hear they are making an ankle bracelet that you wear and a small iBomb in the iPad that if the specific app is started and the iPad is farther than 10 yards from you it will explode.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
fleurya:

I love your sig but I have to point out that "niece" is misspelled. Even my four-year-old niece noticed it.
Thanks for the head's up! I quickly typed it out of frustration because every tech blog I come across that even remotely mentions the iPad, or tablets in general, is instantly drowned in hundreds of comments hating on the iPad because it doesn't make people's breakfast and mow their lawn like all the rumors promised.

I don't mind a little debate about the quality of a product, but it's just gotten completely out of hand. When a popular tech blog that routinely gets fanboy and hater comments has to pull the plug on comments entirely, you know it's really gotten out of control!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
No no he meant the 2 year old nice bicsuit that he left in his draw .
LOL. Thanks for the cover!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoDorSean View Post
I hear they are making an ankle bracelet that you wear and a small iBomb in the iPad that if the specific app is started and the iPad is farther than 10 yards from you it will explode.
Well, there is an app that will only let your mac unlock if your iPhone is within range, so maybe!

QUOTE Thanks
r.spitz

r.spitz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini (late 09) 2.26, 2 gb, 160, 1 tb hitachi 7200 ext hdd. Macbook 2.26, 4 gb, 360 hdd 3G Iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Well, there is an app that will only let your mac unlock if your iPhone is within range, so maybe!
Is there really such an app? I would be very interested in that.
QUOTE Thanks
Greysquirrel34

Greysquirrel34 is on a distinguished road

Have read most of the comments on this and other iPad threads on other forums and it seems there are a lot for posters that want the $499 iPad to work like a Mac Pro.
Although I would not buy one in its present configuration I probably would if it had a USB input or two so I could hook up a printer and maybe an external HDD, but the way it is now I have recommend it to a couple of 70+ friends that only want to surf the web and send and receive email, I think it will be a perfect match for them and many other that don't need a laptop or desktop computer. I think there is a market for the iPad, we will just have to wait and see.
Do any of you remember when the iMac was announced and it was coming out with no floppy drive how many wrote that Apple was taking a step back in their development. Well as they say, The rest is History, lets wait and see before we condemn the iPad to the electronic scrapyard in the sky.
We all know that version 2 then 3 will be a lot different, but then again who knows what Apple will do.
QUOTE Thanks
CyberBob

CyberBob is on a distinguished road

I don't think many people will be carrying ipads around for itunes as their top or main priority, though it would probably work fine as a second or third/further down the list option.

I can see it being nice for if you were like reading a book, plug in the headphones and pop on some music, or if you were editing a document/email etc and on a flight/bus/train.

Then again you could just as easily use an ipod in transit and the ipad simultaneously.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Yes you could use an ipod while walking and the ipad when you sit down. But that's having 2 devices on you. And I think the whole idea of these kind of devices to have less things to carry around with you rather then more.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysquirrel34 View Post
Although I would not buy one in its present configuration I probably would if it had a USB input or two so I could hook up a printer and maybe an external HDD
Since both of those things can be accomplished, right now -- today -- on an iPhone wirelessly, and thus are also possible on the iPad, what's stopping you again?

Quote:
We all know that version 2 then 3 will be a lot different, but then again who knows what Apple will do.
I very much doubt a) that there will be a "version 2" within at least 18 months of the initial release, if not longer, and b) that it won't be "a lot" different. The iPhone is a good model in this regard -- there are only very slight differences between my 1st day of issue original iPhone and the very latest model, two and a half years later. I can still run 95+% of all apps on the app store, and frankly apart from the better camera I've not seen any compelling reason to upgrade when my "old" one continues to work so splendidly. I have a feeling (and it's only a feeling of course, but still) that the iPad will follow closely the "development" path of the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
Voony

Voony will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Hi, I have a coulple more ipad questions I don't think have been answered yet. And I think some others might liek to know these answers too.

1. Can the ipad be a good ipod? What I mean here is I know the ipad can play songs like an ipod. But judging by the size of it, it will not fit in your pocket like an ipod can. So throwing one in your pocket when going on the train or bus or walking around etc to have your tunes in your ears is probably not possible. You have to have it in your backpack to your hands can be free listening to the tunes with the headphones coming out of the backpack to your ears. That's totally fine unless you want to pick a song. You have to open your bag each time, a hassle or just buy one of those headphones with the song switcher on the headphones themselves. And hope they work with the ipad.

I think you would use the iPod more when you are like already have the iPad in your little palms browsing internet, working on documents, etc. Listening to the iPod on the street walking is probably not the most practical.

2. Do you think the ipad will have anti-theft measures/features on it? If you use it in public would apple make a case that say you can attach to yourself so if someone runs up to you and takes it and runs away, they can't get far with it? Cause for the furst few years I see anyone using their ipad in public as a theif magnet. Cause the ipad would be good to use and good to resell (as most Apple products). Would some kind of password needed to access the main screen after it's turned on each time work?

What is your take on how to keep the ipad safe from thieves. And your data on it unaccessable if a thief does manage to get a hold of it?
I suppose it have a password protected feature like on the iPhone where you enter a 4 digit passcode that is necessary to use it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad as a SOLE device for students? | iPad and tethering? »