New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

My thoughts on the iPad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

Since it’s unveiling yesterday, I have heard a steady wave of complaints about the Apple iPad. Many people believe that it is nothing more than a giant iPod Touch and therefore brings nothing new to the table. To me, the iPad is a game changer.

I view myself as a power user. I like to have some “oomph” in my computers. I also like to be able to take a computer with me when I leave my home. Like many people, I can only afford one computer, so I compromise on raw power for mobility and get a laptop.

Now, a laptop can do everything that I need, and it is mobile, so it seems like it is the perfect device for me, but there are a few problems. I find that I only really push the processor when I’m at home. Outside of the house I really only want to do simple tasks, for which my laptop is usually overkill. (And it often gets very hot!) For the amount that I paid for my MacBook Pro ($2000), I can get a decently powerful iMac, which would provide more power than my laptop for the home, and an iPad, which is more suited for what I do on the go (especially with pay as you go $30 a month data).

So for myself, and probably many other people out there, I see the iPad as a device that can eliminate the need for laptops altogether (or at least lessen the need). A desktop/iPad combo is in my opinion the perfect replacement to the laptop compromise.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
Periculum

Periculum is an unknown at this point

Personally, I don't understand this "It's just a big Ipod!"-attitude of many people, even though I completely agree with it.

They say "It's just a big Ipod! It sucks!"
While I say "It's a big Ipod! How awesome!"

Seriously, I don't see what you would want more in a tablet.
Although my iphone is very portable and easy to use as a phone, I'd love to be able to use the internet better, watch movies better and be able to write on a bigger keyboard. True, the new Ipad will just be a big IPod, but the extra size has a large number of advantages and most of the time, you don't really need much more than a big Ipad. It allows you to use more advanced drawing software, it allows you to use Iwork and the internet without constantly zooming in and out. I love browsing the internet and watching movies on my iphone (even though the screen is a little bit small). The Ipad might be a bit to big to fit in your pocket, but it still is very portable and likely easy and comfortable to use, more so than netbooks anyway. I can't wait to use them for notetaking.

The only thing I really missed from Iphone is the ability to actually efficiently use "office"-like tools, write e-mails, go on the web and draw on a larger screen. The Ipad provides that all with a bigger screen and keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
Glenners

Glenners is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd

The ipad just doesn't compare to a netbook (even though i don't like netbooks anyways). I mean 500 dollars for 16gb of memory :S , no multitasking, and no usb ports. Typing on that thing will be very hard in the real world, you can't always have your legs angled up that much to make the screen align with your face and fingers.

Sure overall it's pretty cool, it's an ipod touch with a very big screen, but at that price I don't think they'll attract the market they're after.

I think we were all expecting something more than just a large ipod touch, maybe a built in webcam, peripherals, expandable memory slots etc.

"Come on big operating system, big operating system!" - PC
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

A big iPod with 3G that you can pay for as you go, and when it gets a camera in future generations is going to revolutionize the way we talk to each other. Skype on a pad. Mmm.
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenners View Post
The ipad just doesn't compare to a netbook (even though i don't like netbooks anyways). I mean 500 dollars for 16gb of memory :S , no multitasking, and no usb ports. Typing on that thing will be very hard in the real world, you can't always have your legs angled up that much to make the screen align with your face and fingers.

Sure overall it's pretty cool, it's an ipod touch with a very big screen, but at that price I don't think they'll attract the market they're after.

I think we were all expecting something more than just a large ipod touch, maybe a built in webcam, peripherals, expandable memory slots etc.
I agree that the lack of a built in webcam hurts, but things like memory and usb ports and multitasking, these are all things that you would want to see in your primary computer. Like I said originally, I wouldn't use this as a primary device, and I don't think Apple at all intended it to be one. This device allows me to easily browse the web, handle e-mails and run apps while sitting on my couch (without burning my lap or squinting at a tiny screen) and on the go. For anything more intensive you have your main (desktop) computer.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periculum View Post
They say "It's just a big Ipod! It sucks!"
While I say "It's a big Ipod! How awesome!"
Couldn't agree more! I love my iPhone and its current features, and the only thing that was a major drawback to my iPhone experience was the small screen size. I think it limited the iPhone and Touch potential. Problem solved!

Quote:
The ipad just doesn't compare to a netbook (even though i don't like netbooks anyways). I mean 500 dollars for 16gb of memory :S
For one, it's not really supposed to compare to a netbook. It is its own unique product. See it for what it is, not what it isn't. Second, I seem to recall netbooks first coming out no too long ago with 8GB of storage without this much griping.

Quote:
Typing on that thing will be very hard in the real world, you can't always have your legs angled up that much to make the screen align with your face and fingers.
Did you see the convertible case that angles it up?

Quote:
Oh really? You don't think in a world where people are paying $489 for a device that only displays books and has the absolute lamest internet viewing (Kindle DX) that people won't pay $10 more for something that is an ereader, a much better internet experience, and has endless other possibilities?

Really???

Quote:
That's what you get for believing in the hype. Apple never promised any of that, so don't be disappointed when it's not there. I can expect it to make me breakfast and do my taxes, but I can't be disappointed in Apple if it doesn't come true.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
CassiopeeQC

CassiopeeQC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, iPhone 3G

I want to know if ebooks are easy to read outside with sun? I mean, with a regular ebook, there's no light from the device, it's like a real book. You can read it outside with a shinny day and it's as relaxing for the eyes than a real book. I take example from my iPhone, it's difficult to see well outside.
For the rest - it's AMAZING !!! It's like a Star Trek pad! I will wait for the second generation - uh... I'll try to wait
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliehass View Post
I view myself as a power user.

So for myself, and probably many other people out there, I see the iPad as a device that can eliminate the need for laptops altogether (or at least lessen the need). A desktop/iPad combo is in my opinion the perfect replacement to the laptop compromise.
I'm curious. Why exactly do you consider yourself a power user ? Do you use your MacBook in a professional
capacity ? I'm asking because of your second statement, which is very telling in this case. Many "power users" are indeed professionals whom need to take their laptops into the field with them. For example, I have been asked to do a photo shoot for a wedding expo this coming Saturday, and the ideal situation for me would be to have my camera tethered to one of my MacBook pros so that not only could I edit on the fly, but I can shoot straight from the MBP, and make a copy of each shoot for every bride and groom on the spot and give it to them within minutes.

No iPad is going to do this. And this is only one example of why it can not be a replacement for a LOT of folks.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Since this is the first iPad, I can only see improvements coming along.

It will revolutionize the market, as the iPhone and iPod did to the phone and mp3 industry.

Can't wait to see the iPad with 250 GB flash memory, a webcam, and a new, improved OS that includes multi-tasking.

And to everyone that thinks the iPad is crap, I would like to remind you that this thing only weighs around a pound and is roughly the size of a piece of paper...
QUOTE Thanks
hope4mactablet

hope4mactablet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsd123 View Post
It will revolutionize the market, as the iPhone and iPod did to the phone and mp3 industry.

Can't wait to see the iPad with 250 GB flash memory, a webcam, and a new, improved OS that includes multi-tasking.
Ok, first of all, I don't think it has flash player or other add-ons/plugins and that is a HUGE drawback...Apple needs to make the iPad a fully functioning computer that happens to be touchscreen
I know its alot to ask, but that's how they r going to corner the market.

A $500-$700 tablet Mac? Ya, that's what I thought- You WANT one!
QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

crazypotatos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD

I think its ok. I am not thrilled that it does not have a camera. I would buy it if it had a camera, and I will probably buy it when it does have one.

QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

I don't know, but I think there are too many threads on it here.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
I'm curious. Why exactly do you consider yourself a power user ? Do you use your MacBook in a professional
capacity ? I'm asking because of your second statement, which is very telling in this case. Many "power users" are indeed professionals whom need to take their laptops into the field with them. For example, I have been asked to do a photo shoot for a wedding expo this coming Saturday, and the ideal situation for me would be to have my camera tethered to one of my MacBook pros so that not only could I edit on the fly, but I can shoot straight from the MBP, and make a copy of each shoot for every bride and groom on the spot and give it to them within minutes.

No iPad is going to do this. And this is only one example of why it can not be a replacement for a LOT of folks.

Doug
I do a lot of video editing and encoding, so every bit of processing power counts for me. In your case I can see why you would need a laptop, but for me, I do all of my editing and encoding at home.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiopeeQC View Post
I want to know if ebooks are easy to read outside with sun?
There's no denying that ebooks are better. Just remember to think to yourself how much you actually read books in the sun. Even for a regular book reading in direct sunlight can cause eyestrain.

Actually ebooks are taking a step backwards in this area. Because touchscreens require a different kind of screen that shows more glare, and because ebooks will all inevitably be touch screens as the market demands, they're just going to be worse. I've seen a demo of a a regular ebook screen next to one with a touchscreen and the difference was significant.

And regarding the whole LCD vs. e-ink and eyestrain. I just don't buy it. I mean, it's probably true that there is a difference even if you dim your LCD from full brightness, but I know tons of people, like myself, who stare at computer screens all day at work and then go home to stare at more! But when it comes to LCD vs e-ink everyone is like, "OMG EYESTRAIN!!!" Seriously?

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
I don't know, but I think there are too many threads on it here.

True..to many

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop remote access apps give your iPad full OSX/Windows/anything else | Can the ipad play widescreen video? »