New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

15 Reasons to Consider Purchasing an iPad!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Yeah, you'll be waiting for a long time. Pretty sure that's the epitome of vaporware.

Personally, I'm waiting for the tricorder from Star Trek. I'd be willing to bet I'll see that first.
Beam me up Scotty. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbike81 View Post
Can you explain how you would use the webcam? I'm not trolling here, I just can't think of why anyone would need to use a webcam on one.

Video conferencing on the go? Can 3G networks even support the requirement for something like that?
I could, but I wont.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Lex

Lex is an unknown at this point

It is a pleasure to read some mature comments about the about the iPad. This morning I read the financial times and even they were making fun about it, well a little bit.
Apple is a clear company... they make an iPod / iPhone / iPad and it will become a hit. people are asking for the real osx on it, but they don't realize they don't need it since all they do is check their emails and use the internet. So definably a win for the iPad if you ask me.
QUOTE Thanks
josephfazioli

josephfazioli will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.

I would prefer a real OS on it, but only if it had/has the hardware to do more. If it were a 2.0 intel, maybe 2 gig of ram.

But that's not the point of the device. Sure, it would be awesome to play with CS, Logic, or Final Cut by touching it, but that's not what Apple is doing with this product. Give it a year or two, and they might integrate a touch screen into a macbook pro (mactablet pro anyone?). Again though, wishful thinking.

I'm interested to see what the HP Slate truly does, because I think that's the only competitor that could compare. Look at the others, the Joojoo, Archos 9, Dell's little 5-inch internet tablet.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I don't think anyone will use it as a Phone.

I don't think it is really a MacBook Killer, although it is good enough to replace a Netbook.

On the other hand, it might well be a Kindle DX Killer
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Couple of Baby Boomers here
I will buy one, mainly for my husband. A bit of surfing, games and reading books on the couch with a hands on device will be a darn sight better fit for him than my MacBook Pro.

Camera .. used the MBP one once to see if it worked. Used my mobile phone camera no more than half a dozen times in over 3 years. We have a decent camera to use when necessary. Video chat ? Nope, our kids and grand kids know what we look like.
Another thing to remember is that many businesses will not allow laptop/iPad cameras in the door.

Flash.. No problem, I have click2flash installed on my Mac and don't miss flash and all the rubbish that is made with it at all. UTube has a decent alternative.

Might even make that two iPads..

As far as the Kindle goes, Amazon refuse to sell them to New Zealand although they are available over the ditch in Australia.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
val2020

val2020 is on a distinguished road

The IPad is a revolutionary device that represents Apple as being more competitive in where most of the traffic is on the web right now. Users are spoiled with the iphone and itouch. And now, we will crave a larger version so we can have instant gratification with this personal multimedia computer that is what it is and more. What is more APPS. I here a lot of people saying what it cant do, however, the apps will do these things. Go through your apps on your current devices, now, magnify it to the size of an ipad. Some say you cant write on it, there on tons of writing and drawing apps!
The Iphone is a walking computer and cool device. The IPad is a multimedia device driven by APP's. Users want intimate devices that they can personally customize to fit there needs. The Iphone apps are so nice that they deserve a larger screen. Remember when a 13 inch monitor was standard and expensive. The IPad is less expensive than the iphone when it first came out. And they will hold there value for years.
QUOTE Thanks
blacklite911

blacklite911 is on a distinguished road

Ok, but why buy an iPad when you could do all those things with an iphone/ipod touch (or an android phone or blackberry) AND those things can fit in your pocket.
Sorry, without a full OS or even a usb port, Its a no buy for me. I was thinking that maybe I could load serato on that bad boy and DJ with a pad. Just wishful thinking i guess. Not the smart buy imo, especially if you already own an iphone
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklite911 View Post
Ok, but why buy an iPad when you could do all those things with an iphone/ipod touch (or an android phone or blackberry) AND those things can fit in your pocket.
Sorry, without a full OS or even a usb port, Its a no buy for me. I was thinking that maybe I could load serato on that bad boy and DJ with a pad. Just wishful thinking i guess. Not the smart buy imo, especially if you already own an iphone
I'm 56 and my eyes will appreciate the larger screen. I loved my iPod Touch and now my iPhone, but Stanza on the iPad is what I have been waiting for. That plus the ability to read PDFs in full color and at a reasonable size.
i won't be giving up my iPhone but there is no way it will compete with the iPad as a ebook and PDF reader.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Another thing millions of people have been waiting for is a ZERO-MAINTENANCE, ZERO-CONFIGURTION computer.

And the iPhone is one!

In creating the iPhone, Apple hit on a concept that *clearly* resonates with a lot of "mundanes" -- why else would an overpriced smartphone become so popular that it has revolutionised how EVERY OTHER CELL PHONE is made?

The answer is that it eliminates ALL the barriers that intimidate people regarding computers. Maybe some of us power-nerds look down on such people -- they're stupid, they're old, they're stubborn, they didn't grow up with computers, I've heard all this and much more. But guess what? Their money is as green as everyone elses.

And clearly, what they want is a simpler computer. They are even willing to give up some of the bells and whistles to get it.

Something that works like an iPhone -- really works, in other words, with no hassle -- but is big enough to see easily and light enough to hold and easy enough to carry around and fits perfectly in a backpack, a purse, or a briefcase: wow, that's really something!

Worth as much money as the iPhone sold for back in the day? You bet.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklite911 View Post
The iPad wasn't meant to replace any of those things, but to improve them. That statement alone should pretty much answer that. When I think of using an iPad, I envision me sitting on the couch relaxing, browsing the internet, using Facebook, keeping up with important emails, and of course hanging around here

Or I envision me sticking it in my book bag heading to my first day of classes at college, knowing that I am prepared to be organized keeping track of assignments, due dates, and test dates with some great apps from the App Store.

I have my MacBook, I have my phone with a full qwerty keyboard and touchscreen and all that other jazz. The iPad could extend the experience, allowing me to NOT have to lug around a $1000 computer, or having to view full web pages on a little screen.

Nothing I will be doing is going to require me to carry around a USB-mandatory device. I do not need OS X, as I can get to that anyway with my MacBook. And try using iWork on an iPhone. HA right. . . the iPad is going to be a useful and must-have tool for me.

QUOTE Thanks
tollickd

tollickd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
14. Did I mention that at a starting price of $499...couldn't the iPad be a "Mac-mini Killer"! Why the heck would you buy a Mac-Mini...that still needs a display, mouse, and keyboard!!!
Mac OS x that's why people will still get a Mac Mini
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollickd View Post
Mac OS x that's why people will still get a Mac Mini
Okay, but for someone new to Macs that does not have the necessary hardware probably isn't going to spend $600 then buy the hardware just for Mac OS X. They might seem it better fit to spend $500 on a no-maintenance-required, portable, and easy to use device. Someone buying a Mac Mini is also probably on a budget. So buying something $100 cheaper without having to get necessary hardware, has a similar GUI as the iPod/iPhone, and does pretty much everything else the Mac Mini can do besides play computer games and run the iLife Suite would make a first choice for someone. Seems like a Mac Mini killer there.

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

And if you factor in that price wise
Mac Mini + Apple 24 inch display = cost of imac
Well the imac could cost a little less. So what the above said really has merrit. You'd have to look for a good buy really cheap non Apple screen to make getting a Mac Mini worth it. If not the ipad can do most of what most people need for as much more affordable price.
QUOTE Thanks
val2020

val2020 is on a distinguished road

I want this middle device, I have an IMac, 23' display, iphone, macbook pro, since my wife converted to Mac my pro is hers. I need a display that looks good for displaying my photography on the fly. Also, the iphone is too small of a display to really to appreciate fine art. Imagine a 10mm wide angle lens shot on the iphone and being able to pinch to zoom. Again, Apple is focusing more on aesthetics and catering to the portable media, arts, entertainment, and now another book sales. Pretty smart marketing to pick up on the ebook crowd with a hands down multi-device that requires no brains to work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad Delivery Method | iTunes Gift Card for iPad Apps »