New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS Development Discussion on developing apps for the iOS platform.

IOS 7 beta

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

benny57358

benny57358 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2007, ipod 4g, iphone 4, ipad 2, windows vista, windows 7

I am soon to be an apple dev and wanted to download ios 7 beta, unfortunately I have an ipod touch 4g so I was wondering what would happen if I were to install it on my ipod 4g instead of a 5g. Could I do it?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Only the 5th gen iPod touch is supported, iOS 7 will not instal on the 4th iPod Touch..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
blackph0enix

blackph0enix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15in Mid 2012(2.6 GHz Intel Core i7) iPhone 5 64GB,iPad 4 128GB,iPod Touch 4G 64GB

Yeah Apple is irritating me with not letting iPod Touch 4G get the update that is one of the reasons I left Android because my Evo Line was getting no love with updates after being a year old. They have only released one update to the iPod line from what I remember yet the iPad 3 gets the updates. So why did I purchase the iPad 4 if the 3 still gets iOS love? Lol.

"A wise man told me don't argue with fools,
because people from a distance can't tell who is who
"
QUOTE Thanks
rbob077

rbob077 is on a distinguished road

iOS 7 Beta is for Limited versions of iPhone's iPad's and iPod's. All the models before iPhone 4 are not compatible with iOS 7. This is might unfair for iPhone and iPad users.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbob077 View Post
iOS 7 Beta is for Limited versions of iPhone's iPad's and iPod's. All the models before iPhone 4 are not compatible with iOS 7. This is might unfair for iPhone and iPad users.
What is unfair about it? Newer versions of OS' require newer hardware and thus older generations are excluded. The older devices work,fine on iOS versions 4, 5, and 6 where appropriate..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
rbob077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
What is unfair about it? Newer versions of OS' require newer hardware and thus older generations are excluded. The older devices work,fine on iOS versions 4, 5, and 6 where appropriate..
Unfair in the sense, millions of Apple users still using so-cold old technology. So this is bit disappointing that they did not get the update on their gadgets even they are iPhone/iPad users.

iPhone 4 got the update, then why not to expect for iPhone 3gs.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Millions of Apple Users upgrade fairly often and if you choose not to do so, you can continue to use the phone on the version of iOS that's already running on it..

If you compare the capabilities of the iPhone 3G/3GS to the iPhone 4 or iPhone 5, you'll find that there is JUST no comparison..

Apple could indeed support the iPhone 3G or even the first generation iPhone with iOS 7. But the lack of hardware capabilities means that you'd have to limit the functionality severely and you'll have people complaining for those reasons..

Also, this is absolutely nothing new for Apple which has been doing this for a very long time. They are the first and earl adopters of a lot of new technology and have no problem leaving other technology behind. Witness the lack of optical drives in most of the new Macs..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Unfair in the sense, millions of Apple users still using so-cold old technology. So this is bit disappointing that they did not get the update on their gadgets even they are iPhone/iPad users.
"Old technology" is a relative term. iOS 6 is still a fully capable and modern smartphone OS. This is similar to those arguments which suggest that Android 4.0 is old when it is equally capable.

Quote:
iPhone 4 got the update, then why not to expect for iPhone 3gs.
That logic is a bit problematic though. If you do support the 3GS, why not the 3G then? In fact, why not support the 2G? This starts to fall apart when you consider that it has to stop somewhere and as the company that designed iOS, I'm willing to bet that they know where to stop support.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
rbob077

Teetering on the edge of endless discussion.

iPhone 5 32GB,iOS 7 Beta 3 | iPad 3 32 GB | Mac Pro 13 Retina Display | Apple Time Capsule | iPod Nano Touch | techiesindiainc.com/ios-development
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to send an xml as a string in iphone sdk? | On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!! »