New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS Development Discussion on developing apps for the iOS platform.

Development for Beginners

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kribensis12

kribensis12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 Ghz Duo Core with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Drive

Hey,
I am looking into developing Apps. I have been reading into a book called "iPhone and iPad Apps for Absolute Beginners" by Dr. Rory Lewis. I checked it out at my College Library. It requires the 2009 SDK and I can't find a version of it that runs on OS X Mountain Lion. Is there another book at there of similar quality that I could use?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I have his IOS 5 Edition.

Good read iPhone and iPad Apps for Absolute Beginners,iOS 5 Edition: Rory Lewis: 9781430236023: Amazon.com: Books

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 Ghz Duo Core with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Drive

Is it easy to use with the newest version of Xcode? I know that this edition asks me to use buttons etc. that no longer exist in Xcode.
QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If the book is recent enough, there might be an errata for the book that addresses any changes to Xcode or whatever. But usually, I've found that you can figure out what the changes would/could be and deal with them yourself..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
But usually, I've found that you can figure out what the changes would/could be and deal with them yourself..
You can also do some research online to see what changes might have occurred. For instance, I have an older Python book that I still refer to once in a while but use the Internet to see what might have changed. This way, the book can provide me with the language specifics and I can search for "how to do X in Python 2.7" if it has changed.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I've been playing with some coding recently (getting back into iOS development) and with the latest version of Xcode and the book I am using, there are marked differences in the dialogs and buttons. But additionally, there is now something called ARC (Automatic Reference Counting) with the later SDK's that affects memory management.

So now where ever in the book it says to call "[super dealloc]" or whatever, with ARC enabled, you will get a warning (or even error) that this isn't needed. So you have to knowingly adjust your code for it.

Realize that these sorts of books have to pick a particular version of software/tool (especially for the screenshots) when writing the book. So it's hard for them to update the book for changes in the tool.

To alleviate these issues, you can of course (wherever possible) use the exact same tool that they are referencing in the book and then switch to the newer versions after you've learned the tool..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Realize that these sorts of books have to pick a particular version of software/tool (especially for the screenshots) when writing the book. So it's hard for them to update the book for changes in the tool.
One of the major problems with writing a book is how long it takes from start to finish. By the time you've written it, had it edited and get through publishing, it's already close to out of date. This is probably even more pronounced in the technology world which moves faster than most others.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Xcode + 5.1 Surround + .mov | simple game »