New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS Development Discussion on developing apps for the iOS platform.

On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Commodore 64, nice :-D
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathe View Post
I actually mean this as a question since I cannot provide any fact to support this and would like the answer to that, is Obj-C suitable to start with?
Because it's ugly? This is why I think everyone should write applictions in Python.

I admit that my dislike of Obj-C is purely personal and not based in fact. It obviously works for serious programmers though.

Oh, and I just looked at Smalltalk code - it looks very odd but I have the urge to try it.

Not being an Obj-C programmer, I can't recommend any specific book but I will attest to the value of a good book. I can't tell you how much better and easier programming is when you have a great book that not only teaches you the language but serves as a great reference.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Because it's ugly? This is why I think everyone should write applictions in Python.

Oh, and I just looked at Smalltalk code - it looks very odd but I have the urge to try it.
It is ugly, but that's something I hope you can get used to over time and hopefully appreciate possible advantages of different syntax.

Smalltalk isn't ugly per say, but it's COMPLETELY different from all of your languages like Python :-) If you ever try it, all you need to remember is that everything is either an object or a message - that's it :-) Sounds trivial, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Not being an Obj-C programmer, I can't recommend any specific book but I will attest to the value of a good book. I can't tell you how much better and easier programming is when you have a great book that not only teaches you the language but serves as a great reference.
Well, the best thing is a classroom course on the subject - not necessarily a school course though meaning high school or college.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is ugly, but that's something I hope you can get used to over time and hopefully appreciate possible advantages of different syntax.
Oh, I can appreciate different syntax. In fact, I find Vala's syntax to be a nice blend of curly brace languages and more "readable" languages like Ruby and Python.

Quote:
Smalltalk isn't ugly per say, but it's COMPLETELY different from all of your languages like Python :-) If you ever try it, all you need to remember is that everything is either an object or a message - that's it :-) Sounds trivial, right?
I can do you one better on the "completely different" - Lisp.

So as to give Obj-C some points, I did a little test to highlight the value of machine code produced by languages like Obj-C over interpreted code (like Python). Here are the speed results of the loops I posted earlier:

Obj-C binary:
- Build Time: 4.735s
- Execution Time: 0.112s

Python script:
- Execution Time: 0.115s

There you have it - the Obj-C binary is 0.003 seconds faster at looping to 100.

Looping to 10,000 produced some interesting results:

Obj-C execution time: 8.526s
Python execution time: 0.140s

I can't explain that one.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jscorpio24

jscorpio24 is on a distinguished road

Here are some good places to look if you like learning by video.

Objective-C Tutorials - YouTube

and

Objective C Programming Tutorials - YouTube

I am just starting out too and these have been the most helpful sources for me!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscorpio24 View Post
Here are some good places to look if you like learning by video.

Objective-C Tutorials - YouTube

and

Objective C Programming Tutorials - YouTube

I am just starting out too and these have been the most helpful sources for me!
Legend. Thank you. i went through a couple and they look good.

How are you finding learning Obj-C ?? zIs it easy to pick up, via watching tutorials and all ??

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I forgot to suggest videos - YouTube can be your friend here. There's definitely a benefit to having a visual complement to instructions that, even with pictures, you just can't get in a book. Videos also tend to target the newest version of software which a book can only do for so long.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jscorpio24

I find that the videos help me a lot more than the books and such do. I don't necessarily learn too well by following a book. I have to have things explained to me by an actual person otherwise all I'm doing is memorizing what's being said.
What I am doing with the videos is watching them from the beginning (each of the links I gave you are a series of vids), writing the programs along with them, and re-watching each one until there is nothing they say in it that doesn't make sense to me. Then after I get it, I will erase everything that I just typed in xcode and see how well I do at writing the program I just learned on my own.
I've even noticed in the last few days that sometimes when they give an overview of what they will doing, I actually start writing it before they tell me what to do because the language just starts to make sense to me! I've also noticed that there are some mistakes they will make in their code and not notice it until later but I notice it right away.
So if you are like me, the videos will help you ALOT!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Thats good to here.
Im a bit like that, as with my jobs in the past i was very hands on and learnt the ins and outs of it, and my problem was once i had, (roughly 6mnths) i would get bored, itchy feet and be looking for a new job. WIth this though i think with everything i do will be a challenge so hopefully thats enough to keep me interested, and on track.

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
Woodchopper

Woodchopper is on a distinguished road

I have been aspiring to program also, however not having any knowleage of how to do it, I'll tell you what I have been doing.

I purchased " Programming For Dummies" I really liked this book, because It taught me some of the basic foundations of programing,common terms like, Variables, if then statements, strings, boolan exprestions, ect, there are examples of different lauguages doing the same thing, like printing " Hello World " on the screen, and how each laguage handels basic math.

After getting into this book for a bit I decided to learn C++, different forums suggested learning C++ before learning Objective-C and It made sence. So I have been poking around that for a bit.

I also found this neat app for my iPad called "Code to GO" you can wright code in a bunch of different langauges and the app uses there Linux servers to compile the programs ( you have to be online for the compiler to work ) what is nice all of the different languages have samples of "Hello World"
It was 3 or 4 bucks and deffinatly worth checking out, I would not wright a giant app with it but to practice coding, I think it is great.

So after reading this I am convinced that Objective-C is what I need to learn, The YouTube videos that were posted are great! I worked through a few and after making some adjustment to take into account that I am using XCode 4.3 and the videos use XCode 3. they work nicly.

I found an e-book version of "Mac Programming for Aabsolute Beginners" that web site has a lot of great titles and they are free.

I hope some of this helps
John
QUOTE Thanks
jscorpio24

That's exactly my problem. If I do the same thing too long and don't challenge myself with something new, I get bored. So far with objective c and learning programming in general, it seems like there is a challenge around every corner that once I get through, it feels so awesome to know that I did that! Like, yesterday I was able to make a really simple GUI app for iphone. It was a very simple, useless to everybody else app, but to know that I was able to make a working app appear on screen was SO awesome!
Learning to program really is a rewarding experience.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

My first investment !!!!!

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscorpio24 View Post
That's exactly my problem. If I do the same thing too long and don't challenge myself with something new, I get bored. So far with objective c and learning programming in general, it seems like there is a challenge around every corner that once I get through, it feels so awesome to know that I did that! Like, yesterday I was able to make a really simple GUI app for iphone. It was a very simple, useless to everybody else app, but to know that I was able to make a working app appear on screen was SO awesome!
Learning to program really is a rewarding experience.
Yea i think it will be too. Ill be happy to make "hello world" work lol.

Be sure to hang around the forums and drop me any pointers, hints or anything you reckon would be of a benefit to me

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
jscorpio24

I will. Maybe we can help each other out!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Get Stephen Kochans Objective C book. It's pretty much the standard for learning Obj-C. I'm pretty sure this:

Amazon.com: Programming in Objective-C (4th Edition) (Developer's Library) (9780321811905): Stephen G. Kochan: Books

is the latest version.

In terms of videos you may also want to check this guys Obj-C tut's:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL38860A77CF9B4923

I haven't watched them, but I've been watching his Cocoa tutorials and although sometimes he rambles a little, he has provided me with good info on cocoa, so I can imagine his Obj-C are probably as good.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IOS 7 beta | IOS Paid Software Question »