New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Apps Checking Your Contacts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oo7ml

oo7ml is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I see more and more apps get you to use your mobile number for signup.

For example, when you sign up to Whatsapp, all it asks for is your mobile number, which is your unique ID.

When you open the app for the first time, Whatsapp accesses all of the contacts in your phonebook and checks which of those contacts are already using Whatsapp, by comparing your contact's numbers with the accounts on the Whatsapp server. If they find one of your contacts who is also on Whatsapp, they place your contact in your Whatsapp Favourites (Whatsapp contacts)

QUESTIONS
01 - how often would an app like this need to check / sync your contacts with their accounts database?

02 - has anyone ever come across a good article on signing up with mobile, from a developer point of view?

Thanks in advance for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

First WhatsApp would use your phone number to send the Text msg, so its understandable it would need that, and what better way to make your unique ID (personally, I think that would be better than giving out a email address for them to spam when ever they felt like.)

Secondly, it shouldn't have scanned any of your address book unless you gave it the authority to do so. When you first opened it, it would of asked for WhatsApp to access your contacts, just like FB and Twitter ask.
You could of said 'decline' and if you go into Settings>Privacy>Contacts you can turn off WhatsApp to having access to your Contacts.

As to how often it scans it, I would say when ever there is another contact added, it would know and see if its linked to WhatsApp servers. . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
oo7ml

Thanks for the reply.

I have no problem with it accessing my contacts as i think they use a very good method.

I'd like to resemble the same setup in an app that i am building so i would like to know more about this area.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Ahh ok, well your best bet is to hit the Apple Developer Forums and ask in there for help. There is a wealth of knowledge in there. But remember, if you copy a App or something that is unique to them, you could have trouble getting it past the review process. (not saying you will but just something to think about)

But if you ask in the forums over there, a way to achieve what you want, they can be quite helpful, in pointing you in the right direction.
And remember there is now Swift Programming Language too, so you don't have to do it all in Obj-C

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
oo7ml

Ok great, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to uncapture an iPhone? | Creating App-iness »