Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    iPad2, iPhone5
    Creating App-iness
    Is it possible to write an app and install it on my own iPhone5?

I don't want to sell it or anything just use it for my own purposes.

Cheers.
    Everybody knows it but everybody doesn't care!
    RJD

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Yes it is.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    iPad2, iPhone5
    Excellent!
    RJD

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Note that you have to be a registered developer to do this. There's no way to do this without shelling out the cash for a membership in the program (...for some reason).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    iPad2, iPhone5
    Gulp!

Costly is it?

#####################

I just looked, $99 per year.

To develop on iOS must I use a Mac or can it all be done from the old iPad?
    Last edited by Perranoak; 06-11-2014 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Had a shufti
    RJD

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Traditionally all development is done on an Intel-based Mac. However, Codea does allow using an iPad for development, you might want to read more here.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    Unless you create a web application, you do have to pay Apple $99/yr for the privilege of installing apps on your own device. Yes, that's absolutely ridiculous (I agree - I'd love to put some of my own stuff on only my iPad as well without paying $99/year) but it's the only way unless you jailbreak and do some other fancy stuff.

You can certainly develop on a Windows box. PhoneGap/Cordova and Flex are two frameworks that jump out at me at the moment (both of which allow you to build Android apps at the same time; PhoneGap let's you do Windows Phone as well).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Traditionally all development is done on an Intel-based Mac. However, Codea does allow using an iPad for development, you might want to read more here.
    I had a look at Codea, and downloaded the App, and then went and looked at the App the Codea Devs built, and if Cargo Bot is the best they can come up with, I will continue to screw through through with Obj-C and now Swift. . . . But to Develop and test on a iPad is pretty cool in itself though
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    For what you get for your $99, I'd have called it a steal at twice the price. Yes, even for private development (I mean, if you could avoid having to write your own app to do whatever it is you have to do that no existing app covers, surely that's worth $99 in your time alone ...)

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    For what you get for your $99, I'd have called it a steal at twice the price. Yes, even for private development (I mean, if you could avoid having to write your own app to do whatever it is you have to do that no existing app covers, surely that's worth $99 in your time alone ...)
    How do you figure? Developing for Android and Windows Phone costs nothing so I fail to see why developing for iOS at $99/yr is a "steal."
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    How do you figure? Developing for Android and Windows Phone costs nothing so I fail to see why developing for iOS at $99/yr is a "steal."
    It is a "steal", for the recipients of the $99.

Specs:
    Im not sure how Android and Windows Developers work, but do they get the same support that Apple gives its Dev's ie: 2 Support tickets directly to Apple™ Developing team ? Do they get the same support when it comes to the App Stores ?
    From what I have read, from others Developers, Apple has a more Streamlined road From Development to App Store. They have a lot more help from Apple when it comes to Technical Issues, and Documentation, and some have said that would of paid $200 for what they get compared to the 'others' . . . Im just wondering if this is correct or not ??
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Somebody might actually buy your app if you develop it for iOS.

(sorry but you left yourself wide open for that one)

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Im not sure how Android and Windows Developers work, but do they get the same support that Apple gives its Dev's ie: 2 Support tickets directly to Apple™ Developing team ? Do they get the same support when it comes to the App Stores ?
    I can't say how many tickets you get since I've never had issues (unlike with the App Store which is a world of hurt sometimes - I've had weird approval issues, they lost my tax info once when I submitted it so I could sell apps, etc.) but you can contact them (here). It's very possible that Apple's communication channel is significantly more streamlined.

From what I have read, from others Developers, Apple has a more Streamlined road From Development to App Store.
    You did read my article right?

They have a lot more help from Apple when it comes to Technical Issues, and Documentation, and some have said that would of paid $200 for what they get compared to the 'others' . . . Im just wondering if this is correct or not ??
    I don't know how they compare but the documentation for Android development is wide open and looks to be fairly comprehensive (here).

Somebody might actually buy your app if you develop it for iOS.
    I assume that this is a delay tactic until you provide a real reason right (especially since you said that it was a steal even for private development, a context in which I'm not selling apps)? Remember, we're talking about private development here.

(sorry but you left yourself wide open for that one)
    You make it sound like you have an objectively right and obvious answer (despite no argumentation and evidence). Surely you wouldn't be doing that now would you?
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    I assume that this is a delay tactic until you provide a real reason right
    Oh Van, why so serious?

It was a joke. Simple as that.

Obviously the biggest selling point of joining the developer program is the ability to sell your stuff on the App Stores. I am aware this doesn't apply to you.

But yes, I think Apple provides developers with other resources that are worth the $99/year, not the least of which is advance copies of iOS or OS X, Xcode, and support resources (and getting through Gatekeeper). If you don't need these, that's fine -- the developer of one of my favourite OS X utilities, OnyX, isn't a member because he's giving his stuff away and thus doesn't want to pay $99/year. Which is perfectly okay, there are lots of developers who aren't registered with Apple for a wide variety of perfectly legit reasons.

I confess I was thinking beyond your current project to the day when you might want to sell something you've written. Maybe that will never happen. If it does, though, I'd suggest that joining the developer programs for all the platforms one wants to sell for is generally a sound investment.

Thread Information