New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Creating App-iness

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Perranoak

Perranoak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPad2, iPhone5

Is it possible to write an app and install it on my own iPhone5?

I don't want to sell it or anything just use it for my own purposes.

Cheers.

Everybody knows it but everybody doesn't care!
RJD
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yes it is.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Perranoak

Excellent!

RJD
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Note that you have to be a registered developer to do this. There's no way to do this without shelling out the cash for a membership in the program (...for some reason).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Perranoak

Gulp!

Costly is it?

#####################

I just looked, $99 per year.

To develop on iOS must I use a Mac or can it all be done from the old iPad?

RJD

Last edited by Perranoak; 06-11-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Had a shufti
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Traditionally all development is done on an Intel-based Mac. However, Codea does allow using an iPad for development, you might want to read more here.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you create a web application, you do have to pay Apple $99/yr for the privilege of installing apps on your own device. Yes, that's absolutely ridiculous (I agree - I'd love to put some of my own stuff on only my iPad as well without paying $99/year) but it's the only way unless you jailbreak and do some other fancy stuff.

You can certainly develop on a Windows box. PhoneGap/Cordova and Flex are two frameworks that jump out at me at the moment (both of which allow you to build Android apps at the same time; PhoneGap let's you do Windows Phone as well).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Traditionally all development is done on an Intel-based Mac. However, Codea does allow using an iPad for development, you might want to read more here.
I had a look at Codea, and downloaded the App, and then went and looked at the App the Codea Devs built, and if Cargo Bot is the best they can come up with, I will continue to screw through through with Obj-C and now Swift. . . . But to Develop and test on a iPad is pretty cool in itself though

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

For what you get for your $99, I'd have called it a steal at twice the price. Yes, even for private development (I mean, if you could avoid having to write your own app to do whatever it is you have to do that no existing app covers, surely that's worth $99 in your time alone ...)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
For what you get for your $99, I'd have called it a steal at twice the price. Yes, even for private development (I mean, if you could avoid having to write your own app to do whatever it is you have to do that no existing app covers, surely that's worth $99 in your time alone ...)
How do you figure? Developing for Android and Windows Phone costs nothing so I fail to see why developing for iOS at $99/yr is a "steal."

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
How do you figure? Developing for Android and Windows Phone costs nothing so I fail to see why developing for iOS at $99/yr is a "steal."
It is a "steal", for the recipients of the $99.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Im not sure how Android and Windows Developers work, but do they get the same support that Apple gives its Dev's ie: 2 Support tickets directly to Apple™ Developing team ? Do they get the same support when it comes to the App Stores ?
From what I have read, from others Developers, Apple has a more Streamlined road From Development to App Store. They have a lot more help from Apple when it comes to Technical Issues, and Documentation, and some have said that would of paid $200 for what they get compared to the 'others' . . . Im just wondering if this is correct or not ??

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Somebody might actually buy your app if you develop it for iOS.

(sorry but you left yourself wide open for that one)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Im not sure how Android and Windows Developers work, but do they get the same support that Apple gives its Dev's ie: 2 Support tickets directly to Apple™ Developing team ? Do they get the same support when it comes to the App Stores ?
I can't say how many tickets you get since I've never had issues (unlike with the App Store which is a world of hurt sometimes - I've had weird approval issues, they lost my tax info once when I submitted it so I could sell apps, etc.) but you can contact them (here). It's very possible that Apple's communication channel is significantly more streamlined.

Quote:
From what I have read, from others Developers, Apple has a more Streamlined road From Development to App Store.
You did read my article right?

Quote:
They have a lot more help from Apple when it comes to Technical Issues, and Documentation, and some have said that would of paid $200 for what they get compared to the 'others' . . . Im just wondering if this is correct or not ??
I don't know how they compare but the documentation for Android development is wide open and looks to be fairly comprehensive (here).

Quote:
Somebody might actually buy your app if you develop it for iOS.
I assume that this is a delay tactic until you provide a real reason right (especially since you said that it was a steal even for private development, a context in which I'm not selling apps)? Remember, we're talking about private development here.

Quote:
(sorry but you left yourself wide open for that one)
You make it sound like you have an objectively right and obvious answer (despite no argumentation and evidence). Surely you wouldn't be doing that now would you?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
I assume that this is a delay tactic until you provide a real reason right
Oh Van, why so serious?

It was a joke. Simple as that.

Obviously the biggest selling point of joining the developer program is the ability to sell your stuff on the App Stores. I am aware this doesn't apply to you.

But yes, I think Apple provides developers with other resources that are worth the $99/year, not the least of which is advance copies of iOS or OS X, Xcode, and support resources (and getting through Gatekeeper). If you don't need these, that's fine -- the developer of one of my favourite OS X utilities, OnyX, isn't a member because he's giving his stuff away and thus doesn't want to pay $99/year. Which is perfectly okay, there are lots of developers who aren't registered with Apple for a wide variety of perfectly legit reasons.

I confess I was thinking beyond your current project to the day when you might want to sell something you've written. Maybe that will never happen. If it does, though, I'd suggest that joining the developer programs for all the platforms one wants to sell for is generally a sound investment.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apps Checking Your Contacts | Moving TV shows from iPhone to PC »